Author Topic: X-Men: Last Stand *SPOILERS*  (Read 5766 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
X-Men: Last Stand *SPOILERS*
« on: May 26, 2006, 04:54:44 PM »
So I liked the film, but...SO MANY ethical and social issues left untouched.

I think it would have been a stronger film had they just focused on the mutant cure and taken out the whole Dark Phoenix story-line.

This would have given more time to with character development. I really would have liked to have seen more of Rogue’s storyline.

I liked all the characters (mostly), but there were so many that I wanted more time to understand each of them more.

Also, they completely have it set up for another sequel without any of the expensive stars.

Things I liked:
There was a Callisto/Storm fight, I would have been a little annoyed had they not done this. Although since when does Callisto have super-speed?

I liked Callisto, Arclight, Quills, and Psylocke. Could done with more of them.

No Jubilee.

I’ve decided that I hate Cyclops still, but James Marsden does a pretty good job playing him.

And before I forget, they did away with Cyclops, yay!!!

Too bad nobody stays dead for long the Marvel world.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Men: Last Stand *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 04:58:14 PM »
I was honestly surprised at the number of people killed in this film. Also the number they turned "normal." Although now that I think about it, since there's apparently a clip after the credits, is it Magneto moving a chess piece with his power? Because then at least I'd have hope for Rogue and Mystique coming back into their own. If they do a "next-gen" movie, I'd sure want Anna Paquin in it.

I was mostly disappointed that they didn't have Rogue kill Jean. I thought that was a major story point for Rogue's character in the comic books.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 05:06:52 PM »
I'm not sure about that. I have the 40 years of X-men DVD, but I"m only to issue 40, have about 450 more to go.

Like I said, there should have been more of Rogue. I really wanted to see a scene where she takes on Juggernaut, absorbs his powers, then throws him. Rogue doesn't even use her powers in the film.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 05:13:21 PM »
Just so you know, After the end of the credits they show Pro X inside the body of the patient that McTaggert had.

Also they show Magneto, before the credits, moving a chess piece (I confirmed that at work with a co-worker).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 05:17:30 PM »
I'm not sure about that. I have the 40 years of X-men DVD, but I"m only to issue 40, have about 450 more to go.

Like I said, there should have been more of Rogue. I really wanted to see a scene where she takes on Juggernaut, absorbs his powers, then throws him. Rogue doesn't even use her powers in the film.

She does, Colossus puts his hand on her in the danger room so she can get his armor to protect herself with.

As for a few other things, I love how they handled Cyclops, they used him to his fullest potential and I like the Ice Man being Ice part.  The only thing I found lacking is Juggernaut himself, they really cut out 90% of his stuff for the movie (heck he's not even a mutant) and I would have liked more of a story on Shadow Cat.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 02:08:55 PM »
This movie was not good.

Very cheesy lines (though this was reinforced by the people sitting behind us who said "Get it?" every time one of the cheesy lines was said), and a zillion people died. Magneto was extremely callous, sending people to their death like nothing, and Wolverine was killing people left and right. All sorts of people were out of character (Professor X, etc.) compared to the first two movies. And the government people were making ethical flipflops all the time.

But mostly it's the zillions of people dead that was its problem. The first two movies had light body counts. This movie just showed a completely callous respect for human (or mutant) life. If I wanted to see people disintegrated (and I don't), I could have gone to see War of the Worlds again.

Big disappointment, and I only hope Superman is good. Though the trailer that at last actually showed some plot elements gave me pause. Making new continents? Huh?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 04:09:01 PM »
One thing I hated about the first two was that Wolverine wasn't killing people right and left, that's all he does in the comics.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 06:13:49 PM »
     Though it definitely didn't live up to its potential, I don't think that this was due to the killing. I think that this movie was a victim of its own ambition. Looking through it, I see one for Angel, one for Jean/Scott/Wolverine, one for Bobby/Kitty/Rogue, and one for the cure. All of these should have been better developed. For example, they had 5 scenes with Angel in them at all. One when he was cutting off his wings, one when he was about to get the cure, one when he entered the mansion, one when he left, and one when he caught his father. Three of these scenes are 30 seconds or less. This is not even close to the proper amount of time that it would take to develop a character. (On a sidenote, I didn't like that they tried to make him an angsty teen, either. As far as I know, that was never how he was portrayed in the comics or the cartoons. However, since they portrayed a lot of things unlike they were in the comics, and not all of them were bad changes, this is only my opinion.)

Another complaint I have commonly heard is that there were a lot of people out of character. There were three that I think were, in fact, out of character; Magneto, Xavier, and Pyro. I don't think that Magneto would have abandoned Mystique so easily, even though she appeared to be normal. It didn't cross his mind that she there might be a counter to the poison in the darts? And even if there weren't, is Magneto so completely ruthless toward humans that he would abandon one that was not only  formerly a mutant, but that had saved him from becoming a human? If so, then why didn't he kill the family in the car on the bridge? As for Xavier, he would never have said something so callous as "I don't have to explain myself to you." His character, when it came to dealing with Jean, was completely displaced. As for Pyro, the complaint I have against him is more minor. He was friends, of sorts, with Bobby and Rogue, in X2. Yes, their relationship was somewhat uneasy, and it was strained by their disagreements, but still, they were friends. And, he was never so hostile toward Xavier as he seemed to be in this movie. Both of these can be somewhat accounted for by his closeness to Magneto, but since Magneto was friends with Xavier, I have a hard time believing that Pyro would try to curry favor with Magneto by threatening Xavier's life.  And I have an even harder time believing that he would be so eager to kill Bobby, considering they were on decent terms at the end of the last movie.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 08:20:16 PM »
I think when you say out of character you have so say "out of character from Singer's take or for the comics?" because I think Magneto and Xavier were in character with how they are in the comics but not so much to Singer's take on them.

As for all the additional characters Ratner had the problem that the director before him had already hired all these people so he had to work them into the story he wanted to tell.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 12:11:01 AM »
Well that is understandable, but did the studio cut his funding? And if not, then why not make a longer movie? An hour and 44 minutes is pretty short, he had a lot of room to expand.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 12:32:47 AM »
Hard to say with the length, maybe it was out of the directors hands.  It's not uncommon for the studio to set the length of the movie to "maximize" how many showings there are in a day.  And with X3 taking in $45 million in one day alone I could say that this could be a safe assumption.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 01:13:11 AM »
Well, I can see little bit of Ookla's complaints. There are too many people who die on whim.

I don't mind that Wolverine or Phoenix kill a lot of people, but it that some of the people die are just too important in the Marvel Universe to just be killed off so whimsically.

My biggest complaints are that the movie just keeps bringing up important/resonating ethical issues and then drops them without  any sort of satisfactory resolution.

The whole "cure" story line resonated with several social issues like homosexuality, racism, autism, and ADHD. Yet it seems like Ratner went out of his way to avoid these issues. I really think he needed to think more about the characters and draw much clearer lines about where each character stood on the issue. The cure concept wasn't going to have black and white sides, which I think Ratner realized this so he just skirted around the issue rather than have to think too hard.

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 03:20:18 AM »
I think my biggest problem was that a lot of things were underdeveloped.
There were a lot of storylines running through this movie, and if they had focused on like just two of them, they could have developed them better.
Also, for a fourth movie... they not only opened the door, but they set out cookies and milk to make it more inviting... Im wondering how far they will take this oh Im dead oh Im not anymore... cuz it could get old pretty quick (and yes I know that in Marvel world nobody stays dead long.. but in movie world?)
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 03:51:30 AM »
According to IMDB Omega Red was in the movie, maybe a deleted scene, so was Spike and Jubilee (which continues her role of being in all three movies without a single line of dialog).

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 03:56:00 AM »
"Jubilee, you will go along, but not say or do anything."

Well, at least one character was completely developed.