Author Topic: Nightwatch  (Read 1996 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Nightwatch
« on: July 11, 2006, 04:48:29 AM »
Anyone else see this yet?  I know it's making the run around St. Louis gaming circles.

It's a russian film that was a blockbuster over there (based on a book that was a bestseller there) that's a modern fantasy/occult horror film.  Lot's of supsense, neat powers, and a bit of action here and there.  Very neat premise.  It is a bit surreal and certainly won't be for everyone, but I loved it.  I can't wait for the sequel, Daywatch, to hit our shores.

Plus, the translations of the books come out at the end of the month.

Anyone else seen it?

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Nightwatch
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:28:48 AM »
Heh, to answer your twice asked question, yes I saw this back when it was released in theaters. I found it to be an absolutely well done modern day vampire movie.

From what I remember it is very strange and surreal, but that adds to the characters in the movie. The concept of the Daywatch and the Nightwatch is very interesting and I can't wait to see where it goes.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »
So, one of you give us a review already.  I've been thinking lately that this site ought to give me and anyone else who reads it ideas on what to rent at blockbuster that only have a single copy on the new release wall.  Movies that none of our friends will recognize.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 12:12:53 PM »
Oh oh, I have Segal's Into the Sun and Eastwood in "Escape from Alcatraz." I could do those two! =P
                William S. Burroughs

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 11:25:05 PM »
I saw this recently.  My brother saw a preview for it a long time ago.  He waited for it to hit theatres, but it never did around here, but it just came out on dvd so he got it.  I think it was about 25$ at FYI, where Media Play used to be for those around Orem.  There is the english version on one side and russian version on the other.  I thought it was alright, but it wasn't really a vampire movie.  There were vampires, but there was also shapeshifters, seers, witches, etc.

The basic setup is there are supernatural forces for both good and evil.  You are raised as a human until your gift comes out, sort of like Highlander.  When this happens, you must choose to join the light or the dark.  Each person so transformed also has their own unique gift, it varies from person to person.  So one person might be a vampire, and another a shapeshifter, etc.  There was a battle between these two forces long ago, but it was obvious that everyone would die and neither side would win.  So the leaders of light and dark called a truce, and made police forces to insure the balance was maintained and each new person could choose freely between light or dark.  Daywatch is the police force for darkness, and Nightwatch the police force for light.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:31:59 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 02:05:52 PM »
I forgot how neat the subtitling is. It's a very neat trick they do with it. I just bought it today and am watching it now. I will see about a review sometime shortly.
                William S. Burroughs

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 08:52:59 PM »
Great, yet another movie I have to borrow from EP. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:53:33 PM by Harbinger »
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 01:56:25 AM »
Great subtitling, you don't want a review from me though, this is just not my kind of movie.  Didn't know there was a sequel though.
I spent the whole movie completely distracted by the fact that the male protagonist looks like an EXACT cross between Alan and Dan.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:57:10 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 08:44:48 AM »
Oh oh, MUST see picture of Alan! I know what Dan looks like and can see some similarities. (Even though one is a American Mormon and the other a Russian... cosmonaught...)
                William S. Burroughs

chunktile

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 11:42:33 PM »
Our exchange student Grygori was from Ukraine and a big fan of the books (otherwise I would have never heard of it). When the release came about, a friend and I went to the theater and had a blast. I really enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to the sequels.
If everyone is different, then no one is the same. With no definition of the normal, aren't we all insane?