Author Topic: Richard Dutcher on LDS Film:  (Read 2941 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Richard Dutcher on LDS Film:
« on: August 14, 2006, 12:01:26 PM »
Richard Dutcher (God's Army, States of Grace, Brigham City) spoke last week, and offered this analogy about LDS film:

"There was this girl who no one was paying any attention to. But I started flirting with her and saw her potential and I saw how beautiful and intelligent she could become. She could be perfect. I fell in love with her. But then she started dating other men. She started fornicating with pimps and morons. I told them how fragile she was, but they wouldn't listen. Now she's fading back into obscurity. She's dying. The end."

(Quoted on A Motley Vision: http://www.motleyvision.org/?p=268 )
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Richard Dutcher on LDS Film:
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 12:17:54 PM »
Halestorm: pimps and morons.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 12:40:19 PM »
I know what the problem is with the LDS cinema market.

Good thought provoking films have things in them that, while not inherently wrong, cause most mormons to pan the films as immoral without a second glance.

For example,   "States of Grace" Dutcher's second missionary film is powerfully moving, full of truth, and has great characters and a great story.
**spoiler**  
However, it includes a man who has positive religious interaction with the missionaries but does not convert to mormonism.  That's enough to kill it for most of the mormons I know.  But the film also includes a sympathetic character, a missionary, who is sent home for fornication and later attempts suicide.  Kiss of death.
**/spoiler**

It is definitely not a "Jack Weyland" movie.  None of Dutchers films are.  They are rejected by the "mormon audience" in a sort of knee jerk negative reaction to anything that suggests that real mormon life is not G-rated.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 12:42:33 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 01:11:35 PM »
so it's the audience causing hte problem.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 01:15:04 PM »
In more ways than that.  Another point made on Motley Vision is that the highest grossing LDS film in Utah was The Other Side of Heaven, making 1.7 million in 23 weeks.  There just isn't funding to support much LDS stuff right now -- and lack of funds will keep LDS movies crappy and/or experimental.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 01:36:45 PM »
You should ask EUOL about Richard Dutcher next movie, apparently he feels there's a good market for a rate R Mormon slasher flick, so I really don't care what the man has to say about LDS films.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 02:00:37 PM »
Sounds like hearsay mixed with Spriggan's famous cynical gullibility.

I do know that Dutcher's film, "Brigham City," (a story about a mormon bishop who is also the sherriff in a small Utah town who has to deal with a serial killer come to visit) was at one point badly mispackaged.

The marketing firm that packaged it made the DVD cover look like a slasher film.  The title in dripping blood with just a pair of spooky eyes on a black field.  Maybe that's where the "slasher film" bit came from.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 02:12:19 PM »
In more ways than that.  Another point made on Motley Vision is that the highest grossing LDS film in Utah was The Other Side of Heaven, making 1.7 million in 23 weeks.  There just isn't funding to support much LDS stuff right now -- and lack of funds will keep LDS movies crappy and/or experimental.

And, of course, with mostly crappy, experimental and underfunded films dominating what little market there is, a wide mormon following will not grow.

Nasty cycle that.  I think it's sad that Dutcher is already so cynical about it.  Sure he's strapped for cash because of the poor response to his films but 3 films does not a tradition of excellence make, especially since most people in the market he's trying to tap, while they have probably heard of God's Army, probably couldn't tell you who Dutcher is, and he's the only real unifying facter across the three films.

It's also interesting that the money made on the LDS film and on the non-LDS film almost perfectly reflects the ratio of mormon to non-mormon in Utah.  Of course, after 23 weeks the Pirates number will be much bigger...

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 02:16:20 PM »
Sounds like hearsay mixed with Spriggan's famous cynical gullibility.

Nope, I'm dead serious.  Ask Fell he was there.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 02:40:52 PM »
Well, give us the details then.  Who said what, exactly?

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 02:45:42 PM »
EUOL did, he went to the screenplay reading Dutcher had a few weeks ago.  All he said was it Dutcher thinks there's a market for an R rated LDS movie and that the screen play was a slasher flick (with angles going around killing people in SLC).

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 04:31:50 PM »
Were protractors involved, too?  ;)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 04:33:27 PM »
Lord ruler and lady protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 05:34:03 PM »
Hahahaaaaahaa.

Ah, that's classic. In fact, it shall be one of my new tagline sigs.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 06:24:17 PM »
Those are two separate events, Sprig.  Dutcher is on record for the comment that he believes that there is a market for LDS R rated films.  It's one of his more famous quotes.

In a completely separate turn, he is making a horror movie--likely R rated--as his next movie.  It is NOT a Mormon movie.  I, however, have been asked not to share details of the plot or ideas involved.  I have read the entire thing, however, and it is rather gruesome in places.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch