Author Topic: The Scrapped Princess  (Read 1568 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
The Scrapped Princess
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:42:06 AM »
So...has anyone seen this anime series? It's a fairly new one, released in Japan in 2003 and released in the US on DVD beginning in 2005 and ending in 2006. I just recently finished watching all 6 DVDs from Netflix, and I *really really* enjoyed it--more than I thought I would. Its themes really got me thinking, and I'd love to discuss it with someone, if anyone on here has seen it.

And, if you haven't and you're looking for an interesting anime, I recommend it.

[Edit: I put more accurate release information, since this wasn't made in the mid 90s, as I thought, but just a few years ago actually. Info can be found here and here, if you so desire. The first link also mentions Tokyopop's impending release of the YA novels.]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 05:21:23 AM by Chimera »
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: The Scrapped Princess
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 02:20:24 PM »
We're putting out the original novels (which the anime was based on, and which go much more in depth) starting in October. Look for them in your bookstore's YA section.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 02:29:55 PM »
Never seen it, but I'll have to look it up. Ookla, when they come out, can you post a reminder here to look for them?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 04:29:12 PM »
Sure. Street date is 10/10. There might also be a POP display in some stores.

I never actually read the book though, so I can't say if it's any good. Another title I read of the ones that are launching at the same is Kino no Tabi, and I do recommend that one. Reminded me of the Giver and the Phantom Tollbooth.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 05:37:39 PM »
We're putting out the original novels (which the anime was based on, and which go much more in depth) starting in October. Look for them in your bookstore's YA section.

Oh, that makes me happy. I've tried to research it a little, and from what I gather the original novels were really deep and fascinating (as you say, it goes more in depth), but they are hard to get ahold of. So I look forward to checking out your reprint of the originals.

That begs a question, though--I read a Scrapped Princess manga in the bookstore several months ago. And I thought it was published by Tokyo Pop. It was what got me interested in the story in the first place, enough to track down the anime. So--what is that? Is it a modern adaptation of the novels? Or is that what you are talking about that is supposed to be available in October?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 05:39:30 PM by Chimera »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 08:07:55 PM »
The novels have not been available in English before. The ones we're putting out starting in October will be the first time they've been available in English (at least legally).

The 3-volume manga by the same name is an adaptation of the original novels, much like the anime is an adaptation of the original novels. All three are takes on the same basic story, but there are substantial differences I don't really know enough about to go into. I heard that right from the start there is a lot of stuff in the books that didn't make it into the anime.

(And you read the whole thing in the bookstore? For shame!  ;))

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 02:00:24 AM »
Not the whole series. Just the whole first manga!  ;)

Yes, I know that's bad for your business. I'm sorry. But I'm poor.  :P

I have bought at least one Tokyo Pop manga--the first volume of Wish, which is another manga I like. And it's affordable at only four volumes--though currently I have only #1. And, yes, I've read the whole series, but that's because the Salt Lake library had them!!!

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 02:01:48 AM »
Oh, and thanks for answering my question, by the way. That distinction makes sense. I'll look forward to the novels when they come out in October--the original, in depth story. It really is a fascinating plot. Some of its themes remind me of His Dark Materials series.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 05:22:42 AM by Chimera »