Author Topic: review: The Illusionist  (Read 1206 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: review: The Illusionist
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 10:52:44 AM »
So my question for people on the forum is this: Is The Illusionist really a contender for those prestigious awards that entertainment people are always yapping about?

Personally, I didn't think it was that good that it would merit any, but I still feel it is a good movie.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 11:56:10 AM »
When is Rufus Sewell not over-the-top?
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 01:30:10 PM »
When is Rufus Sewell not over-the-top?

I can't think of any examples. He really should be cast in roles were he is expected to be unbelievable.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 10:46:03 PM »
So my question for people on the forum is this: Is The Illusionist really a contender for those prestigious awards that entertainment people are always yapping about?

Personally, I didn't think it was that good that it would merit any, but I still feel it is a good movie.

"Prestigious?" My impression is that it's a bunch of Hollywood people patting themselves on the back. Or, at best, patting other Hollywooders on the back.
Of course, there is the outside chance that you were being ironic....
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder