Author Topic: Stranger than Fiction  (Read 2337 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Stranger than Fiction
« on: October 18, 2006, 01:13:38 AM »
I saw a commercial for this movie on TV and it made me burst out laughing. It's about a man named Harold Crick (Will Ferrell) who hears the voice of a narrator commentating on his life. The narrator turns out to be a novelist (Emma Thompson), and he is one of her characters in her latest novel. The catch--she's decided to kill him off. Movie Trailer

I wish I had thought up this idea. It's great! Here's hoping a good idea will transfer into a good movie. I'm definitely going to see it, though, because I love Emma Thompson and movies about writing.  :)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
Re: Stranger than Fiction
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 01:27:43 AM »
This looks hilarious, I'm also going to see this as soon as it comes out!  (And here I thought there were no movies to look forward to for the rest of the year).
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 03:01:34 PM »
I finally saw this. It was very funny, if only to see a very subdued Will Ferrell.

The moral of the movie: Professors of Literature are pure evil and writers are psychotic killers.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 09:58:20 PM »
And killing off IRS agents is wrong?
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 10:28:43 PM »
If it is, I don't want to be right.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 07:48:47 AM »
What a hilarious movie. And a lot more subdued than most Will Ferrell movies, which makes me like it all the more--i.e., the execution was spot-on, and didn't go for the easy laughs. And what fodder for class discussion about breaking the narrator boundaries!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 06:09:10 PM »
Saw this on Saturday (we go to the movie theater about once every three months and usually the dollar show.  :)

It was a serious movie, not as humorous as the trailer indicated.

SPOILER ALERT * * *

I was prepared to feel betrayed if the author didn't go ahead and kill Harold.  But I really liked how it ended.  I thought her reasons for changing the ending were good.  That probably sounds harsh.  I didn't want him to die.  But when I saw the boy get on his bicycle it was obvious that he had to save the boy.  I thought, "what better way to die?  The writer has to follow through with it or it will feel like a phony happy ending.  You can't take opposition or death out of life."  And I agreed with the "evil" professor.  But I really liked how the "writer" resolved why Harold should live.  It felt justified and "real."  Rewriting just because she'd found out that he was a real person for some reason didn't feel right by itself.  But because he knew his destiny and accepted it made him a different character than was in the book.

I'm not sure my comments make any sense.  It was a tangled resolution and a weird, and fun, mixing of reality and fiction so it's hard to navigate through it.  Which is why I wanted to see it in the first place.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 08:05:46 PM »
I saw this at the dollar theater last weekend and I have to say, I really liked it. My husband wasn't sure what it was (but because it was my turn, he couldn't say nay). When he saw Will Ferrell in it, he was like, "Oh, I hate that guy." I reassured him that I heard this wasn't like most of his movies.

I really like the style of the narrator's writing and I like the thing about the watch.

** Spoiler

I like how the writer pulled in the watch that saved him, since it was the watch that "caused" his death (although it was worth it to try to save the boy, of course). I agree with Hauf. I feel that the reason he lived was compelling and it made for a good reason for the author to rewrite the novel.

It seemed like there was a lot of depth to explore with irony and symbolism and such, which was cool (even if I'm too lazy to actually explore it) and I like how the it could take pretty mundane circumstances and a mundane life and make it seem really special.

I'm saying there are not flaws, but I don't feel like exploring them.