Author Topic: The Prestige  (Read 2538 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
The Prestige
« on: October 23, 2006, 02:56:06 PM »
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 12:25:53 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
Re: The Prestige
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:11:19 PM »
I liked this film a lot, but then, I'm a huge fan of Nolan and Bale (Skar, check out Bale in "Empire of the Sun". He was even great as 12-year old.

I'll have to see this one again to wrap my head around certain aspects of it, but great direction, great acting and a terrific sense of atmosphere make this easily worth a strong reccomendation.  Nolan remains one of the few directors out there who was yet to make a weak film.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 08:42:58 PM »
We saw this today and liked it. Unfortunately we got there last night just when it sold out, got tickets for the 10:30 AM showing, then went to B&N where I saw a bunch of copies of the book on the shelf. When we got home I looked up the book on Wikipedia and was immediately spoiled on one of the major secrets. Oops. I really wish I hadn't done that.

A very sad movie. Revenge is bad. Secrets are bad.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »
I agree. I saw this movie on Friday with my parents and we all liked it. Though, it is not a leisure movie. You really have to pay attention and be willing to work your brain a lot. The hardest part for me was all the jumps in time. It took at least 30 minutes into the film, perhaps more, until I could start placing events as either in the "beginning," "middle," or "end" category. After a while, you get used to it, and then the story starts rolling. But, if there was a drawback to the film, I'd definitely say it was the non-linear storytelling. Great acting, great atmosphere, intriguing story. And yes, very sad. The desire for revenge can have devastating consequences.

But very good. I liked it a lot. I'm glad I saw it early on, before somebody could spoil anything for me.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 10:59:28 PM »
A movie that pays off in the finish, but wow is it hard to watch! A chilling movie that was worth a $10 ticket yet I can't say I'd ever want to make myself watch it again. Yeah, it was one of those kind of movies.

Anyhow, I agree with Chimera about the non-linear jumble of the storytelling. Many times I couldn't tell where in time we were or who was reading whose journal. The voiceovers, of which there were many, were often confusing because the chronology of the movie was spooled out in such a "mysterious" fashion. I wouldn't say that the acting of Bale or Jackman was consistently stupendous, but there were some rise-above-the-rest moments.

Oh, I should add that I missed my train because my friend and I were too busy discussing the ramifications of certain twists that came at the end. Oh well, another train came five minutes later, luckily for me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 11:52:04 AM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 12:04:32 AM »
I didn't think that the plot was too hard to follow. Granted, it was the kind of movie where it takes until the very end for it all to come together, but I didn't think it was too much of a maze.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 01:17:37 PM »
I just had a hard time figuring out *where* they were at times. It took me till halfway through the movie to figure out that most of it still was happening in London, not Colorado. I agree with Chimera, too--good movie, but hard to watch.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing