Author Topic: Heroes ***spoilers***  (Read 34388 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes ***spoilers***
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2006, 02:29:27 AM »
Claire's dad and the black guy (who messed with the police officer) were taking him through a parking lot, a gun pointed to his head. He got away and ran, trying to escape, but they cornered him. Claire's dad said to the black guy, "Take it all" and Nathan shoots up into the air like a rocket. It was cool.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2006, 01:35:13 PM »
Awesome--I was hoping that's what happened, if only because it shows fallibility in the bad guys, who have thus far been completely untouchable. Interesting that in this episode we saw the bad guy be both fallible (Nathan escaped) and kind (giving a second chance to the kid who raped his daughter).

I really hope that the payoff to the cop passing out is more interesting than "now my wife hates me again." I'm sick of his life being bad, and especially of his wife being a witch, so something good (or at least something new) had better happen to him dang soon.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2006, 02:08:03 PM »
Was that really kindness? Wiping the kid's mind? I mean, he said it like he was being kind, but isn't that the best way to murder someone to get rid of evidence--a murder where the body is still alive?

We got an antenna for our TV. Episodes 2-4 were on Sunday night, so I downloaded the first episode and we watched it (turned out to be the pilot instead of the first episode though--there were a couple things we had to assume were different from the version that finally aired, since 1. Isaac cut his own hand off to get out of handcuffs and paint stuff. This didn't seem to have happened in episode two, and 2. Niki's son stole $300 from his babysitter's purse and got on a bus, presumably to go meet his dad. This must have been cut as well), then watched the marathon.  And boy is it fun to watch.

I liked that Claire went to apologize. Her trying to kill him by crashing the car really put her in a bad light. Of course, she's a messed up kid anyway.

When Nathan flies, he flies DANG FAST. I am pretty sure he broke the sound barrier. Of course, going that fast wearing only pajama bottoms, they should have been whipped off by the wind, but oh well.

There are things I just let slide to enjoy this series, because it's a superhero show and...it's just cool. The whole genetics thing? Old excuse that's bogus. Isaac's home address and phone number printed in the back of his comic book? No way. And Future-Hiro's accent while speaking English is far too good to be a progression of Current-Hiro's English skills. It's nigh impossible to get an accent that native-sounding as an adult. (Hiro's buddy's English has a very authentic Japanese accent though.)

Oh, and I hate the voiceovers. And don't like the hype. The tagline "SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD" is just dumb. It's okay in the show, but the way they're hyping it is lame. Oh well, I guess NBC feels they have to do something to promote it, since they're spending 2.6 million dollars per episode.

Anyway...our TV reception is pretty dang terrible. We're going to try to get a better aerial, but until then...is the black guy who wipes memories the same person as Niki's husband?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 02:11:25 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »
Was that really kindness? Wiping the kid's mind? I mean, he said it like he was being kind, but isn't that the best way to murder someone to get rid of evidence--a murder where the body is still alive?

If the kid is going to have severe amnesia for the rest of his life, if might have been more merciful to kill him.

I liked that Claire went to apologize. Her trying to kill him by crashing the car really put her in a bad light. Of course, she's a messed up kid anyway.

I agree that they had to have Claire do something to not make her look like a murderer. I thought it was cool watching her crash the Quarterback's car, but it was also disturbing. It was a good scene that caused conflicting emotion.

When Nathan flies, he flies DANG FAST. I am pretty sure he broke the sound barrier. Of course, going that fast wearing only pajama bottoms, they should have been whipped off by the wind, but oh well.

I thought the same thing, but I'm glad they chose not to be that realistic.

Anyway...our TV reception is pretty dang terrible. We're going to try to get a better aerial, but until then...is the black guy who wipes memories the same person as Niki's husband?

They're not the same person. There are two different actors listed for them on IMDB. They do look similar, and you don't get to see either of them on screen for very long.

I'm also hoping that the Policeman's marriage problem work out. I seems like a trivial part of the story, but they've set up Matt's wife to be a great Lois Lane type character. The two can have problems, but they can't just have them seperate or have affairs or something stupid like that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 03:24:16 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2006, 03:41:40 PM »
Anyway...our TV reception is pretty dang terrible.

When I miss an episode, I watch it online (nbc.com). They just have the most recent episode, but at least it's better than a fuzzy picture.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2006, 04:10:35 PM »
I'm all for watching online. Will have to check it out. (Not going to risk bittorrent again, since I already got spooked when someone contacted the cable company about me downloading SG-1.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2006, 04:44:27 PM »
I do consider the mind-wipe to be a kindness, at least compared to what I was expecting him to do. He may never remember his first 16 or 17 years of life, but I wouldn't want to remember a life as a serial rapist anyway. My guess is that Claire's explanation ("you did some really bad things and I was mad at you") scares him enough that he decides to be a good person.

That, or the mind wipe destroyed his superego leaving him as an unchecked id who's worse than before.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 05:06:06 PM »
I definitely feel the show is picking up some steam now. And I find myself being more and more forgiving as the plots twists get more interesting. Yeah, the genetics thing is a pretty ridiculous way to explain away a guy who can bend space and time. But they're using it well in the show, so I can totally let it slide.

Also, I know some of you don't watch the "next week on Heroes" thing because of the spoilers, but I have to say: I was excited to see that Nikki's alter-ego is actually going to be a "super-power" instead of just some split-personality mental illness.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 05:48:48 PM »
So as lame as the tagline is ("Save the cheerleader, save the world") I'm intrigued by why she's so important. My present guess is this:

Sylar is a scary supervillain who steals people's powers by stealing their brains. In the near future he steals Claire's brain and becomes unstoppable, leading to the nuclear blast in New York and the weird dystopian future that Samurai Hiro seems to come from. The future heroes decided that the only way to beat him was to go back in time and tell their past selves to save Claire, thus keeping Sylar defeatable.

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2006, 07:15:28 PM »
I kind of thought that, too, except that we've already seen Sylar exhibit Claire's power. The cop shot him in the chest 5 or 6 times, and he just got up and walked away.

However, the painting did show Claire with her brain cut out, like some of Sylar's previous victims, so I'm still on the fence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2006, 07:40:23 PM »
He might have survived the bullet attacks through some other means. I'm actually not convinced that he exhibits multiple powers, since everything he's done so far can be explained through telekinesis, but that brain-stealing thing really has me curious. Power-stealing seems like the most obvious explanation.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2006, 08:36:10 PM »
We were talking about the same thing last night re: Sylar's powers, but I hadn't made the Claire connection like that. I was wondering if maybe her dad would make the jump to true evil if his daughter got killed, since he does seem to care for her as more than just a test subject.

And we were talking about Niki too--does she get super strong when she's her evil twin? Because she's done some pretty brutal stuff--or is she just really skilled and taking everyone by surprise?

[EDIT: Has anyone checked out the graphic novel on the nbc website? I dunno how canon it is. Some of it doesn't seem to jive. But the 5th part of it totally gives away DL's power.]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:09:06 PM by OoklaTheMok »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2006, 12:09:52 AM »
I can believe that Niki beat up the guy in the elevator through taking him by surprise, but the two thugs in her garage are a different story--they were armed and ready for trouble, and there were two of them, yet she tore them apart without taking (so far as we know) even a scratch on her own body. That suggests a lot of skill and strength.

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 03:02:28 AM »
Like I said, the "next week on Heroes" thing for this week showed Nikki (or evil-Nikki) exhibiting some *very* super-powery type stuff.

Also, shouldn't we be questioning if Claire's dad's buddy even is Sylar? I mean, sure he's creepy, but we haven't seen him give even the slightest hint of brain-eating. If he isn't Sylar, and Sylar gets Claire in the "bad" future, then that would explain... well shoot, nothing really. But it's something I hadn't thought of.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2006, 03:50:35 AM »
Claires dad is a faction independant from Syler is my feeling atm. And I think Syler just has TK - we have seen him pin people up with household objects (TK), force someone to put their gun to their own head (moving the arm via TK) and survive being shot at (we never actually saw him being hit, so that could be anything or just a 'shield' of TK). Finally we saw him jumping up really fast and he somehow made it into the FBI basement. I'm not sure on the last two, but everything else i'm happy to attritube to TK.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch