Author Topic: Day Break  (Read 2566 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Day Break
« on: November 16, 2006, 01:18:36 PM »
Did anyone else watch this last night? It's your standard Groundhog Day plot, except that any injuries suffered carry over from one day to the next. And it's not funny.

I thought it was pretty intriguing. And the previews at the end promised that all the answers would be revealed in the next 11 weeks. If it were a completely open-ended show I think it would be hard to take the same day over and over again, but if they've got it totally planned out from start to finish this could be very interesting to see.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Day Break
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:41:34 PM »
I taped it. I was exhausted and went to bed. Once I watch it, I'll let you know what I think.

The fact that it's going to finish in 11 weeks definitely attracts me. I love Lost, but waiting for the whole story is killing me.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 07:04:19 AM »
Wow! No one else is watching this? Tonight's episode was really, really good.

If you're a fan of Jayne from Firefly, he was so great in today's episode. Ha ha ha ha!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 03:41:23 AM »
Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ABC canceled  it!!!! Curse them!!! Curse everyone except 3.1 million Americans (last week) for not watching this show!

They are going to put the episodes online since they're all done (it's a 13-episode show), one per week—at least they're  going to START putting them online, and if they don't finish, then they're breaking their promise that we'd know all the answers "in the next 11 weeks"!

Ugh. This show is GOOD. Especially the episode 2 weeks ago, Adam Baldwin was fantastic. (Is he a jinx?!?! His shows get canceled early??!?!)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 05:16:11 AM »
gee. That stinks. Sorry, Ookla. maybe I'll have to watch them now that they'll be online. I've been curious, but life's been crazy.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »
Well, it's not like TV should be a priority in most people's lives.

I can't stand most TV shows, so when one pops up that I really like, it's a rare and much appreciated event. But it seems like TV shows I like get prematurely canceled on a regular basis. Argh.

The pilot episode doesn't seem to be online, which is annoying. The rest were online last night when I checked, but they hadn't gotten the new episode up yet--it said it would be up at 2 AM Eastern or something like that. I'll check again tonight.

The ABC.com video player really sucks for me though. It keeps losing its connection. Actually, YouTube is that way for me as well. I have great difficulty watching flash-based video because it only gets partway through and then stalls. At least the ABC player will reconnect and get back to where it left off, unlike YouTube.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 01:39:06 AM »
I can't stand most TV shows, so when one pops up that I really like, it's a rare and much appreciated event. But it seems like TV shows I like get prematurely canceled on a regular basis. Argh.

I feel for you! 

I haven't seen any of it (or Heroes, either).  Maybe I'll catch it in some form eventually.
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 01:17:42 AM »
The next three episodes were put on ABC's website today. Now I have to find time to watch them. I've got a book to write in the next couple weeks...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 07:07:42 AM »
Okay. Finally watched all the rest of the episodes. This is by far the most complicated show I can remember watching--that actually makes sense and doesn't just keep making stuff up as it goes along. I mean, shows like Alias are complexity piled on top of complexity, but they get contradictory.

I liked the show. There is a hugely major loose end that isn't explained, but the final shot of the show makes clear that it was supposed to be explained in a sequel. (At least, I understood this after looking at Wikipedia. Which is a failure of the show, because the viewer is supposed to be able to recognize the significance of the final shot without looking it up.) I have very few complaints, except that it took the main character a couple episodes before his acting really got up to snuff--I wonder how much that contributed to the ratings drop.

It was a real pain to watch online. It lost the connection every couple minutes, and I had to press pause and play again to get it to restart. Wash, rinse, repeat. A real pain, but it was the only way I could see it, and I was hooked after those episodes I'd seen on TV.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 07:21:08 AM »
Ookla, I hate it when they cancel a show I really like in the middle of the first series because the ratings are not as good as they think that they should be. I feel your pain, but am very glad that you got to finish the rest of the show and somewhat enjoy it in the process. The eternal starting and stopping of the video can't have been any fun at all, but it is better than being left hanging after four good episodes :) I just hope this never happens to you again, and that there will be enough of a public outcry for the rest of the story that they bring the show back. I know it is wishful thinking on both of those things, they really don't keep intelligent shows on for too long as a rule, but I hope for you anyhow.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 07:01:28 PM »
Well, I think as the years pass, it won't be strange to see TV shows that are just online instead of being on TV. If it works reliably, I have no problem with the concept. It's just the implementation that's a bit dicey now. (Well, I've read online reviews saying that the router model I bought is a bad one, so it may be at fault, but connection error correction has got to get much more robust on these video sites.)