Author Topic: Penny Arcade and pardody  (Read 3203 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Penny Arcade and pardody
« on: April 24, 2003, 09:00:10 AM »
Seem's that Penny Arcade has been issued a Cease and Desist over a comic they did making fun of American McGee's Alice. If you haven't played Alice, it essentiall takes the story of Alice in Wonderland, and turns the title character into a sadistic killer with a butcher knife. Lots of fun. The guys at PA thought it'd be funny if the sequel involved Strawberry Shortcake. Yes, the red-haired, scented, 80's girl toy. Only he involved some sexual connotations (ok, not connotations, it was blatant).

Now, I'm no expert, and I don't really support making everything about sex. But it occurs to me that the original comic was a parody of Alice, not of the American Greetings icon. Unfortunately, I can't link to the comic itself because Gabe and Tycho have complied with the C&D until they know more about their rights (speaking with their lawyers). At any rate, seems like this is first amendment protected.

Tycho doesn't have a lot to say about it:
If you have any questions about why, feel free to raise them with Rinda E. Vas, Corporate Counsel for the American Greetings Corporation.

We're currently trying to figure out exactly how the concepts of Parody and Satire work to protect the sorts of things we do, to better arm ourselves against this kind of crap. Virtually everyone believes that what we did is protected, indeed, I believe that myself - but I'm not going to bet the farm on it until I have a bit more than Internet hearsay to back myself up with.
(http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2003-04-21)(scroll most of the way down, he provides links).

However, Slashdot as usual and as expected, had quite a bit to say.

If you've heard enough, here's the (poorly spelled) petition. Personally, I think the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund would be interested in helping out. Again, I support Gabe and Tycho. I dont' necessarily care for the sexual nature of the comic, but prohibiting this free speech would be a bad precedent.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Penny Arcade and pardody
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 10:53:04 AM »
This reminds me of that run of episodes of Drew Carey that got Drew in trouble for drawing a comic in an office memo of a catapillar trying to have sex with a french fry. But in any case, I support them as well. And last I saw that petition had a good 7000+ signatures. So bugger of AG!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 11:09:19 AM »
You spelt "Parody" wrong mate.

Spriggan is infectuous.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 11:41:45 AM »
I think Ehlers wants to get in trouble with the Dictionary people.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 12:45:18 PM »
Just to clear things up, they aren't being sued by the creators of American McGee. They're being sued by the creators of Strawberry Shortcake. The argument is that the comic is a parody of American McGee, but a copyright infringement of Strawberry Shortcake. Personally, I don't see why it can't parody both, but we'll see how Tycho and Gabe handle it.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 01:07:47 PM »
The precedent is against them, in that a work that uses a target property without directly parodying it is not considered a parody but a satire, which is not protected by law. Their comic is a parody of Alice, but could easily be considered a satire of Strawberry Shortcake. I think this one might come down to how well the lawyers argue, and the personal preference of the judge.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 01:47:23 PM »
Yes, I meant to be clear about who was suing who, but I was hurrying to get my post up before breakfast, which also explains my misspellings.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2003, 02:27:25 PM »
Well, I certainly hope it turns out okay for them.  Penny Arcade is always a hoot.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 03:10:28 PM »
Penny Arcade seems to be down today. Anyone know why?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2003, 03:14:16 PM »
Ah, it's a DNS thing. Some access routes don't work, others do.