Author Topic: NEw Webcomic: Ledgermain  (Read 5910 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: NEw Webcomic: Ledgermain
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2003, 07:52:29 PM »
For me a black webpage:

Looks unprofessional
Is rather uninspiring... it not not very interesting to look at
Has goth overtones
It does not look nice... at all.

And i am trying to offer constructive criticism here.

Oh, be aware that TWG only reviews comics >100 strips/ 1 year old.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 07:53:09 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Chaosman

• Level 3
  • Pie, oh yeah, I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2003, 08:00:42 PM »
Just getting the word out.
I appreciate the help, I was just a little put off by the AHHH!  ;) . We're working hard to lock down all the glaring technical problems before there is a change of style.
I think I'm still going to keep the black, No offense, because I abhor how the site looked in stark black and white. And the Goth overtones -- heh heh, if my partner was doing the site, there would be a lot more than just overtones  ;D .
Probably should have gotten in a few other posts in before I delurked.
A plan is something you make before its needed. A good plan is one you make two seconds before you need it.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2003, 09:08:10 PM »
Actually, some of us know very well what goes into creating and maintaining a webcomic. For the sake of decency, I won't dig out American Bachelors with Mecha, but it was certainly amusing while it lasted.

I very strongly suggest you try to go with a style similar to most other current webcomics. Very few use frames (even Framed!!!), and most try to work out an eye-catching color style. Having a black background isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be a turn-off.

Also, TWG unfortunately isn't reviewing *any* webcomics at the moment, since EUOL left us and let that section die. However, you're still welcome to post about it here.

And don't mind Entropy. He's been very jumpy towards forum newbies lately. Down boy!
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2003, 10:48:29 PM »
Well, if you could get me off my arse I could review several dozen at one go. I know a lot about comics as a medium (even with academic credentials!) and I read a lot of webcomics.

But you'd have to get me off my arse.

Chaosman

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2003, 10:59:23 PM »
Well, I just redid the entire site sans frames. its a bit faster, but not much. (I now officially hate HTML) I really wish my partner knew this stuff so she could help... Oh well, no pop-ups at least  :)
Hey, I could do some comic reviews. I'm reading like 10 of them these days. Just have to see what you guys have already done.
A plan is something you make before its needed. A good plan is one you make two seconds before you need it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2003, 01:28:39 AM »
Well I would be nice to get more webcomic reviews.  EUOL just dosen't have the time to review them.  Of course he keeps telling me he's going to comeback this summer and write a few things here and there.  But I'll beleave that when I see it.  He actualy tried for quite a while to get me to take over the deparment, But I don't read a lot of webcomics, or want to.  And I don't think I'd be able to keep them at the same level of quality of past reviews.  I'm happy with just my VG/TOC/RPG deuties.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2003, 01:31:19 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2003, 01:58:13 AM »
I prefer to avoid all activities relevant to SaintEhlers' arse.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2003, 08:17:35 AM »
Fell, that's a good policy. One I generally follow myself.

Maybe I'll start writing out reviews. They're not as long as RPG reviews, and I have a long list of sites to review or re-review. I'd be messing with the format though, so we'll see.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2003, 12:37:08 PM »
the new invisible frames is defantly much better Chaos.  I'm not much of an artist, but I have some experence with internet graphics.  Might I suggest you scan in the image black and white then color it with your raster program (Photoshop or like programs)  it would be cleaner and smaller file size.  The way you're doing it now causes a large varation in tones/colors which increases the file size.  At least that's how it works with vector graphics.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2003, 12:40:18 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chaosman

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2003, 04:59:15 PM »
That would be my partner's department. she's in charge of all comic stylistics, including color. She's been talking about moving away from marker though. Maybe I can convince her to us her editing software instead... But you know how artists are...

Chaosman

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2003, 10:14:11 PM »
just a little update, I've redone the site, with more links and such and a better nav interface.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Entropy's Helpful Advice Time
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2003, 06:33:18 AM »
It's Entropy's Helpful advice time!

-> I have less art ability than the average drowned rat, but the current art has very washy colours and too-thick lines - is this due to your scanning/colouring process?

-> The Website looks a lot better. I would advise that you change the next/previous links to picture links - it generally looks nicer.

-> The hyperlinks at the side could do with being a bit bigger, and more spaced apart - they tend to merge into a big blotch of green at the moment. Pictures for these would be good - even just windows paint text on a background would be sufficient.

-> Don't be tempted to have knock offs of other webcomics. It is preferable to just stick to your own story and comic.

-> Keep plugging at it. Nothing else will attract readers for the long term.

Hope this helps.  :) Good luck with the comic!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 07:57:41 AM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2003, 09:15:09 AM »
That's a much cleaner layout Chaos, nice job.  It also loads much faster.   Keep up the good work

Chaosman

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2003, 06:29:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll do more work on the nav bar.
The earlier are was a real pain to scan, but I think the newer comics are much better in that respect. Nxy is always changing her processes.
What do you mean, knocking off other comics? The fourth Wall thing was a take off of the now dead Argonauts fan fic and will only happen when I need a filler comic (likr that one.
Back to work for me, thanx guys!  ;D