Author Topic: Kevin and Kell  (Read 2543 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Kevin and Kell
« on: April 12, 2004, 09:21:19 AM »
Several of you mentioned that you liked this comic.  Was my review fair?  What do you think?

(Remember, I'm planning to scale down most of the reviews, and so I gave this a 4.5 on the 'new' scale, as opposed to the old one.  I intend that to be a very good score when the reassessment is finished.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Kevin and Kell
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 09:27:07 AM »
This is refreshing compared to must ‘furry’ comics, where no effort is made to explain why the world is populated by anthropomorphic animals.

Should that be MOST 'furry'?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 09:29:09 AM »
Yup.  Thanks.

(Man, Sprig catching typos.  What has the world come to?)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 09:32:46 AM »
I've always thought of 4.5 as a good score. And I think this one is fairly scaled. (I do however, think you've over rated PVP. I know it's not a popular opinion, and I still read it daily, but he's not up there with Sluggy, imo).

I do wish you'd add in info about daily or weekly archives. Weekly archive reading is easier for EVERYONE. It's better for high bandwidth because they don't have to click as often. It's better for low bandwidth because they don't need to load as much (only one set of non-comic images, instead of a whole page. K&K has a weekly archive, so it deserves kudos for that.

Oh, and you think Rose is Rose is consistently funny? It's better than most, but hardly that, imo. As I was telling JP the other day, the two most brilliant "newspaper" comics right now are Pearls Before Swine and Get Fuzzy. I am considering reviewing these comics for TWG, the problem being that United Media doesnt' keep the big archive we ask for.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 09:42:38 AM »
If you'll notice the context, I used 'Rose is Rose' because it WASN'T the funniest comic--just one that was consistently humorous, but not brilliant.  That's how I see Kevin and Kell--at least, humor wise.  It's strength, in my opinion, is worldbuilding.  

About the archives, I suppose I could add that in, but it seems like such a little detail.  I like weekly archives too, but how much does that really factor into an average person's decision to read a comic or not?

As for mainstream newspaper comics, yeah, I've avoided reviewing them too.  I like webcomics because I can read through the entire archive and get a feel for the comic's scope and progression.  Besides, newspaper comics are too well-known to be of any real niche value for our site, I think.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 10:00:20 AM »
Yeah, I think you were fair.  You're right about the character development, though I'd never thought about it much.  The only person who's really changed througought the strip's history is Ralph!
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 10:10:29 AM »
he compensates for the lack of character change by adding a new character every other month or so, and then making every character related toe very other one somehow.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 10:20:04 AM »
And by making sure every single person in the comic has a boy/girlfriend.  I probably should have mentioned that.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 09:39:44 PM »
Which is probably why - as a girl- I like it so much.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan