Author Topic: Ah Kurtz this is what makes you so fun  (Read 8235 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Ah Kurtz this is what makes you so fun
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 02:39:37 PM »
Well I think the main reason Kurtz is upset, as I read it at Frank Cho's forum, is that TS keeps on taunting Kurtz and has admitted that he's copying things to piss him off.  Kurtz had a rant about this a bit ago that was only up for a few hours and it talked about how TS had first threatoned to sue him (Kurtz) for steaking his (TS) characters.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 02:41:06 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2004, 03:18:57 PM »
hrm... that's not how TS Presents it at all. And since Cho and Kurtz kind of have egos... well...

Basically I think Kurtz should stick with what he knows. That is, his comic. He keeps trying to tell the world how to act and gets in their face and can be a real jerk about it. It doesn't work for him. He should just shut up and draw.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2004, 04:27:51 PM »
Admit it SE, you're just jelious of the becasue they have bigger ego's then you.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2004, 05:07:01 PM »
Hey. if there's anything around here bigger than my ego, it needs to be taken down quickly before it crushes us all.

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 12:58:52 PM »
So the moral is....

Don use webcomic images as Avatars?  

oops...  www.ctrlaltdel-online.com (Source for mine)
Alles!!!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 06:04:57 PM »
Well another fun blurb on PvP today:

Many of you have heard of the hit comic strip Megatokyo, but how many of you know that the strip was originally created by a team. Rodney Caston, aka largo, was the original writer of Megatokyo before Fred Gallagher, aka Piro, took the strip over full time.

Rodney is local to the Dallas Fort Worth area. He's a good friend. Wek keep in touch but don't see each other as often as we should. Such is the way of adult life, I guess. That's something I need to correct.

Anyway, I just got news that Rodney and his wife, Ruby, are expecting their first child. So everbody lift a virtual mug and join me in toast! Congrats guys, we're all extremely happy for you.

Luckily, this is one of Rodney's creations that Fred can't steal out from under him.

Oh yeah...I went there.

Makes you wonder if Scott knows something the rest of us don't?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2005, 06:54:12 PM »
actually, doesn't make me wonder that. I think Kurtz is a putz. A funny putz. But a putz.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2005, 09:46:37 PM »
Heh, well I like it when he takes shots at others.  Anyway he's allready deleated the post, unsupriseingly, so I'm glad I copied it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2005, 11:05:49 PM »
Humm...Was just reading Piro's responce to Kurtz's post, and finaly we get the story on how Largo left MT.  I can see where Kurtz gets his ideas, since he's Rodney's friend.  Apperntly there was a big creative difference between Piro and Largo, well I'll just let Piro explain it:

Eventually, as the story grew more solid and the randomness started to fall away, I found that I was doing the comic more and more on my own. Not all of Rod's ideas fit in to the world i was starting to build. He came up with the concept of "Great Teacher Largo," and i wrote it into the story. Rodney wanted there to be zombie hordes going around and killing lots of people. I refused to do this. Rod was so frustrated with the restraints the 'story' was putting on him that he felt we needed to tie it all up, have a few characters get run over by busses, and get to some kinda place where we could do more randomness. I didn't want to do this either. It's not hard to see how our creative partnership sort of fell apart. Our ideas ceased to 'click'. Eventually i was doing the comic entirely on my own and Rod and I didn't talk that much.

As you might imagine, since there was no real partnership anymore and I was doing the entire thing on my own, I want to move on and officially do things solo.

Though Piro did buy out Rodney's part in MT

I didn't cut Rodney free, i didn't steal anything from him or trick him out of anything, i tried to do it right. I approached him with an offer that I would either buy out his interest or agree that Megatokyo would end and I would move on to something else. What I would not do is continue with things the way they were.

Sure, Rodney was not happy about this

Though the think I'm most upset about is no one ever telling me Rodney has his own site now  >:(
http://www.rcaston.com/ and writes for another comic http://www.uberclocked.com/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 11:08:36 PM by Spriggan »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2005, 11:27:14 PM »
Scott Kurtz is so much like SE. But a SE who doesn't bother to think of others before talking. Not trying to be offensive or anything to SE there, just noting.

Hell, i've read MT continuously for the last 2 years, since way before largo left. Yeah, its different since Piro went solo, but I quite like it how it is now. Gaming comics are a dime a dozen, after all. And it's just very arrogant of Kurtz to sit in his ivory tower and preach about other peoples business. Something he is good at.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2005, 11:31:23 PM »
I've got nothing against Piro, I think he's a Brilliant artist, I'm just intrested in this since I cannot stand MT now and it use to be my favorite comic.  Was the Kurtz statment out of line?  Ya, but that still dosen't mean it's not intresting.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »
I find Kurtz's comment uninteresting. It is unfortunate that he talks smack like this and means it has to become an issue. Couldn't the same thing be accomplished by asking Piro why it's changed since Largo left? I think so. Why Kurtz has to be such a jerk is beyond me. You've titled this thread "Ah Kurtz this is what makes you so fun" but I completely disagree. This sort of behavior is exactly why I occassionally consider never reading PVP again.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2005, 08:51:08 AM »
I think you're overeacting to this SE.  I'm sure that it was ment more as a  Joke then to be a flat out charge that Piro is a theif.

As for the thread title, I do think its fun, that's why I have a thread named this.  Kurtz is one of the few intresting Webcomic people out there, he livens up the comunity.  Besides the PA guys I don't think there's anyone else who realy says anything worth talking about in their blurbs. Its fine if you don't agree, though if it makes you feel better you can just imagine it being a very sarcastic remark actualy meaning the exact opposite.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 08:52:54 AM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2005, 09:07:37 AM »
except that I know he doesn't mean the exact opposite. It's hard for me to believe that I'm over reacting to a man who has sued an artist because a character had the same basic "shape" as one of his characters (I didn't think a fat big guy was that original. What's the basis for suit there?) and then copies that same artists character in every way, and completely misinterpret and ignore any indication that he's done something wrong. He's a jerk, plain and simple, and it's hard for me to want o encourage that sort of thing. It makes me think much worse of him.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2005, 09:12:59 AM »
Well he sued the guy becsaue that artist said repetied times that he was copying Kurtz's characters.  I'd sue if I was Kurtz.

But I don't want to argue the point since we both disagree and argueing isn't going to change that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 09:28:18 AM by Spriggan »