Author Topic: Ah Kurtz this is what makes you so fun  (Read 8238 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Ah Kurtz this is what makes you so fun
« on: June 23, 2004, 09:51:44 AM »
Some of you may know about the on going truss between PA and Squidi.  Well here's and transcript between Kurtz and Squidi about the subject where Kurtz just demolished him.  There's some language but the most offencive stuff has been edited.

http://www.enderak.com/squidi/chatlog.html

And if you bother going to read his blog at his site you can see this guy has an unhealth obsession with Gabe.  Just about every post is about how much he hates Gabe.  He's like some comicbook villian that spends his whole wakeing exsistance thinking of how to get even with some superhero that's "wronged" him.  It's sad actualy, the comic can be quite funny sometimes, but there's no reason to do there condisering how loony he is.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 10:00:43 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Ah Kurtz this is what makes you so fun
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 11:32:35 AM »
Wow that guys way more insecure and argumentative than either you or I Spriggan.

That feels so good! ;D
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 03:59:10 PM »
I don't think Kurtz destroyed him.  In fact, I think Kurtz was being offensive and demeaning, while the other guy tried his best to remain civil.  Lost a little bit of respect for Kurtz reading that.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 04:20:12 PM »
the horror, the horror...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 04:55:10 PM »
The other guy acted like an idiot. Kurtz acted pretty much like how he always acts.

Wish they had put some links in to the comics in question.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 07:14:31 PM »
The Kurtz comic is the one where Fransis copyrights a single pixal then threatons other webcomic people.  I would say Kurtz was a little unfair to the guy except that I had read Squidis blog before reading that and ya, he (squidi) has mental problems.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 07:50:06 PM »
What exactly was that guy's beef with PA again?  Someone on their forums was using an avatar of his?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 08:08:15 PM »
ya someone was useing pixal art that he said looked like his as their avatar so he demanded that the guy stop useing the art.  He e-mailed Gabe and told him about the situation and said that he had threatoned and closed down several other pixal comics for copying his style.  Also Squidi had placed a message at his site for people reading his comics to spam and attack people at the PA forums.  That got Gabe upset beasue as Gabe (and then better explained by kurtz) said you can't realy copy the style of pixal art when you're only useing 12x12 for the characters.  Squidi's main contention was that the feet were the same thus they were copied.  And even if you could it's not worth figthing over since they're not hurting his comic.  The guy felt betrayed by Gabe and has done nothing but talk about how much he hates Gabe.  I could post to all the original posts if you want.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 08:12:30 PM »
I think I just will.  Here's the orginal PA thing from last December:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2003-12-10

And here's Squidi talking about it (again) this month.

http://www.squidi.net/blog/04.06/23.php

Take them for what they are, but squidi does rant about it several times a week so he's realy miffed about it.  As for sides, well I guss I'm with Gabe and Kurtz becasue their responese to the situation entertained me and that's all I care about.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 11:56:44 PM »
and because the guys a liar and a jerk.
Telling someone youve closed down several websites before is not "nice" when you demand they take down the artwork. I suspect having read the PA forums that he said something equally "nice" to get banned from there, because well .. its the freakin Penny Arcade forums. They make this place seem like a church. He's obsessing about pixelated sprite feet which may have been copied from him, or ... 8 bit theater or Super NES or jesu forbid 18 million other games. I think the guys nutz. Frickin nuts.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 02:22:45 PM »
yeah, Squidi's a case, but Kurtz was pretty much a **** in that convo. Because Squidi didn't agree with his ASSUMPTIONS right away, Kurtz started treating him like an idiot.

Not that Kurtz has never acted like an idiot before. He's very opinionated, and while less of a ranter than PA, he still spouts off when he doesn't know what the heck he's talking about.

And actually, the funniest line in the whole chat was Kurtz saying "You are so full of yourself and your comic"
Which is pretty much how I'd describe Kurtz most of the time

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 03:22:17 AM »
You should hope over to PVP and see what he's talking about now.  It's actualy a pretty good rant about patrisim.

the basic gist of it is basicaly he's sick of americans saying they hate amercia, and that this country is only as good as we choose to make it.  If you just sit there and complain it will become that horrible country because no one is trying.  So do something more then just complaneing to strangers.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 04:10:51 AM »
I liked his dad's rant even better than his.

McDingus

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Dingus?  I don't even KNOW her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 02:17:50 PM »
To revive this thread:

Looking at Spriggan's first link to Squidi's blog (http://www.squidi.net/blog/04.06/23.php), he mentions the offending party in the P.A. forums as Tubesteak Samurai, whose webcomic "Spells and Whistles" has been accused by SCOTT KURTZ as "infringing" on HIS art style, too!! (I'll have to dig to find any link for that, but you all must know about that too, right?)

WTF is going on around here??

Squidi, Tubesteak, Kurtz.  They're all made for each other.  Whatever.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 02:18:33 PM by MCDingus »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 02:31:13 PM »
yeah, I was reading Spells and Whistles this morning and saw that.

To clarify, Squidi accused Tubesteak Samurai (from here on out, TS) of stealing his intellectual property in a glorious display of stupidity, ignorance and paranoia. TS I believe eventually relented, but not before Squidi accused PA of protecting a thief and so on and so forth, alienating himself from all PA fans.  Scott Kurtz then tried to stick it to Squidi, because Kurtz (who, in a metaphor could only be compared to the U.S. in self-righteousness and feeling the need to correct everyone else's behavior) apparently needs to tell everyone online how to live their lives. Finally Kurtz followed up by accusing TS of stealing HIS intellectual property.
All of which goes to make me think that Kurtz really needs to find something better to do with his time.

TS does have a character that looks a bit like Kurtz's "Jade" -- something I *never* would have noticed if Kurtz hadn't decided to threaten TS with a lawsuit, so apparently his property is in serious danger </sarcasm> -- but I'm trying to figure out when red hair in a pony tail got to be so distinguishing. Kurtz also said that TS has a character with the same "body shape" as Skull. Which uh... I just can't grasp it. "Round" is a distinguishing body shape? Can we just go through every comic on the planet with a fat character and accuse them of plagiarism now? It's ridiculous.