Author Topic: Fish Shows Off  (Read 6879 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Fish Shows Off
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2006, 11:15:38 AM »
How juvenile!  ::) One thread about girly stuff and you make threats and throw your weight around. What, you afraid we're going to recruit a bunch of Mollys and take over TWG?

It's not beyond the realm of imagination.

plus, how DARE you make fun of my weight?!

/me runs home and cries into his pillow all night.

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Nessa. Your quilts look just amazing. That's a really good idea, though, to start with a baby quilt. Do they have baby-sized versions of those types of quilts in quilting books? And have you hand-sewn all those quilts? If so, I hope it looks just as good with a machine because I don't think I could hand-sew a quilt. Amazing!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2006, 11:58:12 AM »
Tink,

Some books do have sizes for baby quilts, but not all. I usually adjust the sizes myself when they don't. If you need help with measurements, let me know. That's usually the trickiest part.

I hand quilt everything because I'm a snob that way. It can look just as good with a machine. But my machine is an ancient 1969 cast iron Singer and I can't seem to machine quilt very well on the old thing. Or you could even tie them using yarn--I'm sure you've seen these, they're fast and easy to tie.  
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2006, 12:12:09 PM »
Are those the kind that are done in Young Women's and Relief Society when we're making quilts for the poor and we need to make a lot? If so, I've made one of those before, but I think the patch-work quilts are so beautiful and I'm so inspired by yours and Fishy's that I really want to learn how to do it myself. I've always loved quilts, I've just never made my own. I want to learn, though. One issue I have is that blankets never seem to be big enough for the bed. Sure they fit when no one is under them, but once my husband and I get under them, it seems like there is not enough blanket for both of us. We got a king-sized quilt for our queen bed, and that helps, but when we have a king, I'd like a *really* over-sized extra big king quilt to go on top. I'd also like to make beautiful quilts for my kids.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 12:12:39 PM by Tink »

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2006, 12:41:31 PM »
Are those the kind that are done in Young Women's and Relief Society when we're making quilts for the poor and we need to make a lot?

I was suggesting that if you don't want to hand or machine quilt it, you could tie it, even though it's patchworked. If it seemed too daunting for you. I have seen it done that way.

One issue I have is that blankets never seem to be big enough for the bed. Sure they fit when no one is under them, but once my husband and I get under them, it seems like there is not enough blanket for both of us.

We have a queen-size bed and the quilts I make are king-size for exactly that same reason.

I'd also like to make beautiful quilts for my kids.

And they would be custom-made. Kids like it when they feel they have a say in how it's made. I made one for my daughter, and although it wasn't something I would have chosen for myself, she loves it. She chose the fabrics and told me what she wanted on it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 12:42:33 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 02:42:03 PM »
I have a new quilt to show off that I recently finished. I made it for my 3-year-old's birthday last week.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 12:20:45 AM by MrsNessaC »

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 03:38:04 PM »
So cute! Yea! One day . . .

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 05:13:03 PM »
Such bright colors and a bunch of sweeet trucks! :D Very cool.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 05:45:34 PM »
Thanks. Usually I don't quilt in such bright colors, but the pattern called for it and I liked how it looked in the book I got the pattern from. I still need to embrioder steering wheels on it, but I'll do it later when I'm feeling less lazy.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 05:46:50 PM by MrsNessaC »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 02:40:36 AM »
That's gorgeous, Nessa.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2006, 12:16:33 AM »
Another one to show off. This time it's for my brother's wedding, which is this week. It's a "pinwheel" pattern. Here's the back, which shows the hand stitching in blue and red.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 12:21:28 AM by MrsNessaC »

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2006, 09:35:45 AM »
Wow. I know I'm a guy and all, but that is a really cool quilt.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2006, 04:08:49 AM »
Nessa totally wins.

*Fish bows out
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2006, 12:58:19 AM »
My sister-in-law came up with the pattern and the colors. I just did the leg-work.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2006, 02:07:42 PM »
Say, wouldn't that be needlework? ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT