Author Topic: Squidi Gives Up  (Read 3956 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Squidi Gives Up
« on: August 04, 2005, 05:32:42 AM »
Interesting:

http://www.squidi.net/

(Warning--language in the rant.)

I find this entire event fascinating.  The truth is, Squidi was actually amusing at times, in his comic, when he didn't let himself get carried away with too many characters and plots.  (A big problem in the recent comics.)  

However, from his rants, I always felt like he was a bit...well, unforgiving.  He liked to call people names, as you can see from this rant, and he wasn't able to express his opinions without insulting people.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Squidi Gives Up
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 07:21:39 AM »
Squdi always took things too personal and while I'm a believer in intellectual copyrights (ie art work) you can't copyright artistic style plus when dealing with pixel art on such a small basis (ie the size of the people) I'm quite sure someone else made art that looks just like him years before.

Anyway he'll always be known for the PA incident because he started it and blew it way out of proportion and even make rude comments about Gabe's son when he was born.  That one incident, no matter who was right or wrong in that argument, proved that he isn't very stable of a person and him leaving the net is probably a good thing.  Not for the internet, there are plenty of people like him on it, but for himself.  He needs to move on and stop worrying about people stealing his style.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 02:00:56 PM »
Heh if I'm reading today's PA comments correctly it seams like their local EB store has some fans of Squidi.  Or I could just be reading too much into Tycho's "dead pixals" comment.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 02:18:15 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 11:58:15 AM »
"Dead pixels" refers to a common problem on the PSP, which is apparently quite prone to pixel failure in certain areas of the screen.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 03:41:25 AM »
Looks like Squdi is back at it, well not making webcomics but pissing people off.  Go read Kurtz's rant in today's PvP, ya that's all based off of something Squidi posted in his site.  I knew that he would never disappear to leave the web in peace.

And just because it's fun, a Squidi Quote about how WoW is enforcing racism:

"WoW has this amazingly terrible villany just below the surface. There is this enforced racism that undercuts the entire game. It may seem cool to see a bunch of level 60 paladins attacking a level 15 Horde outpost in the Barrens, but there is something sinister and cruel about that behavior."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 03:54:15 AM by Spriggan »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 09:22:13 AM »
Oh god. It's the 'D&D is rascist because orcs and drow are depicted as unendingly evil' arguement. People need to realise that A) It's a game and B) Orcs are MONSTERS not people. It's not a standin for black people ffs.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 09:43:45 AM »
The funniest thing is that rant starts off with him talking about how much he plays WoW.

It's sad though, he's such a hate filled person that all he can talk about is how much he hates things and how stupid people are that don't think 100% the same way he does.  It like Jack Thompson, just mind boggling how all reason and common sense has been replaced with irrational anger.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 09:50:38 AM by Spriggan »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 10:58:34 AM »
Or like Scott Kurtz!

Now, admitedly, this is a really stupid thing that Squidi's saying. So stupid that I wouldn't ever bother to address it. I want to know, why in the world does Scott continue to care about squidi? Why is he reading the guy's blog if he hates him so much.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 01:20:10 PM »
Because he's somewhat insecure, which he admits.  Kurtz always has trouble over-reacting with how people talk about him.  Though unlike Kurtz who is a reaction based hater, like most of us, Squidi is like that all the time.

Also Kurtz never had much beef with Squidi, though he did try and mediate between him and PA way back when.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 02:59:24 PM »
that's the thing, he had no beef, yet he was very antagonistic. He did a really terrible job trying to mediate by all accounts.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 03:16:29 PM »
Na it wasn't anything that would win a noble prize but it didn't help that Squidi is well, Squidi.  After the first few minutes it turn into a an argument between Kurtz and him.  I'm not a Kurtz apologist there are times I like his rants and times I don't, I know you loath him while I don't, but when it comes two which of the two is the antagonistic of the two there's no way any rational person could say kurtz is worse then Squidi or even comparable.  Which is what I'm feeling your're trying to get at, after all Squidi is the guy that when Gabe's son was born expressed his wishes that very bad things happen to the him (the son).

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 03:41:15 PM »
no, i'm not getting at that. I don't think that what squidi said about WoW was even worth discussing. It was too stupid. Which is why it's disappointing that Kurtz would even acknowledge it. Squidi is *only* influential in the webcomics world because of the attention *Kurtz* is paying to him. If Kurtz would just shut his yap and ignore the git, no one anywhere would care abtout him.

It's disappointing because web comic artist drama is annoying and stupid. Even Kurtz says that. Yet it's *because* of Kurtz that half the crap out there happens at all.

So, yes, Squidi is stupid, and an idiot. There's no argument there. But the only reason this is an issue at all is because of Kurtz.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 09:11:22 PM »
ya I agree with that.