Author Topic: I can't wear my backpack in the grocery store?  (Read 3614 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
I can't wear my backpack in the grocery store?
« on: August 19, 2006, 05:09:24 AM »
Went to the grocery store today (major chain) on my way home from work (I walk to work) to get some flowers, and I walked in and started looking at the flowers (which are right next to the entrance), and I hear someone say something behind me, and it's a security guard. He says, "Your backpack." I say, "Huh?" He says, "Your backpack." I say, "What?" He says "Please check your backpack at the desk."

I get annoyed. I think, he's just some security guard, it's not like he's police or the TSA or anything, and it's not like it's a convention art show. I say, "No. I'm not going to do that." I turn around, ignore him, and look at the flowers again. The security guard apparently walks away. I pick what I want and start walking toward the checkout, and pass another guy visibly annoyed saying "I wear it in here every single day" who then hands his bag to the guy at the desk saying "he said I'm supposed to give this to you."

Anyway, it's pretty insulting to me to be asked to check my bag in a grocery store. What am I, some suspicious-looking teenager? Do people have to check purses too? Briefcases? Huh? There is no way I'm going to check my backpack in a grocery store. Not gonna happen.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
Re: I can't wear my backpack in the grocery store?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 11:59:58 AM »
Well Ookla, check to make sure that someone that looks like one didn't show up on America's Most Wanted or some suspected terrorist list. I'm sure there is a dangerous grocery store criminal that draws his fersome powers from his backpack. Thus the grocery store was only protected itself by separating you from the evil powers of your backpack.

It could be that they don't suspect you at all, just your backpack. Has your backpack done anything suspecious lately? Have you seen your backpack on America's Most Wanted?
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 12:51:57 PM »
I was often asked to do that in stores in the Orem mall, but never in a *grocery* store.  I bet they wouldn't have asked you to check a briefcase, but they probably just single out backpacks.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 01:34:41 PM »
I find the most telling detail to be that he walked away when you refused.  He was probably just one of those power trip security guards because if he actually had a mandate from the store owner to keep people from wearing backpacks in the store he wouldn't have dropped it.

I hate guys like that.  I also hate security guards that think it's ok for them to grant exceptions to the rules.  Because next time you go to that place and break that rule, the guard on duty won't, and a scene will be caused.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 01:58:37 PM »
Maybe instead of terrorism it was related  to shoplifting. Perhaps the store had been having more problems with shoplifting and had told the guards to check backpacks. But he didn't enforce it, so it could've just been a power trip.

I don't know what you look like in real life. Do you think you have more of a suspicious terrorist look or a teenage delinquent look or an easily pushed around by a security cop look?  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 03:20:22 PM »
It's shoplifting related, and quite common too.  May stores have polices not to allow bags, backpacks or even purses of certain sizes right after numerous thefts or during times like Black Friday.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 06:51:14 PM »
Oh, I assumed shoplifting right away. When the terrorism thought crossed my mind sometime later, I dismissed it as highly unlikely.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 08:40:20 PM »
Well, you know that Alberstons has been on most terrorists hit list since they stopped keeping hagus regularly in stock.  ::)
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 10:31:27 PM »
>.>

You know I can see that is places like game stores, or places with really valuable small things.

Either way, most generally it is stupid.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。