Author Topic: Page 33, Vol. I, #9  (Read 2660 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Page 33, Vol. I, #9
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 07:45:12 PM »
If you ask me, Kurtz is far more a troublemaker than the PA guys, by a mile and a half. When Gabe and Tycho make trouble, yes, it is big news. But they do it pretty rarely. Kurtz can't turn around with attacking some chump.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 04:22:19 AM »
Maybe I'd disagree with kurtz on this one if  Joey Manley's articles wasn't so lame and stupid.  If you're going to try and portray webcomic artists as a soap opera at least do a good job.

As for the Buckley incident going on, I'm enjoying it mostly because of CxN and Staub going off on that guy.  There's some very disturbing content going around about CAD's creator, with photos, and if it's true that guy is luck he's not in jail.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 04:22:54 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 09:13:18 AM »
I don't think he does such a bad job. And he's right, at least on who they are, though not on the order, as fell says. If Kurtz wants people not to point out Teh Drama, he should stop stirring so much up. Part of the perils of fame, my boy.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 09:20:56 AM »
I'm not disagreeing with who's on the list, I frankly could care less since I only read 3-4 comics anyway, I just didn't care for the presentation and writing.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 10:43:11 AM »
There's some very disturbing content going around about CAD's creator, with photos, and if it's true that guy is luck he's not in jail.

??
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 10:51:14 AM »
Yeah, I haven't seen the content either, but I think Straub's comments are primarily jealousy. (unless I'm thinking of different comments). They did, however, inspire my next Page 33.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 12:07:00 PM »
I don't think Straub is jealous, in fact Straub has posted a few of the e-mails Buckley has sent him and that guy has to be a huge jerk.

You can read about Straub's comments at
http://www.blanklabelcomics.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2524

There's also a link to the other rumor if you're interested, but I won't say any more about it since it is really bad if true yet it does seam like a hearsay internet rumor.

Warning, foul language from Buckley.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 12:07:59 PM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 04:14:31 PM »
I love how CAD is "derivitive" and stupid because it's a gaming comic. Yet these are the same fans that get mad at Kurtz when his comic isn't about games anymore.

I seriously think webcomic fans as a whole are mentally retarded.

1) that thread is so incredibly one sided it's terrifying.  Airsick Moth is perfectly happy to paste a mean quote from Buckley but the only thing he says about his own is that it wasn't "at all combative." Gee.

2) The primary reason for this hate seems to be about a) Buckley made a mistake about Webcomic Appreciation Day, and b) he didn't like that idea. Guess what, I don't either. It's like having hot chocolate maker appreciation day. I use your stuff. You benefit from that. Why did you make up a day to appreciate yourself? Talk about Kurtz's term "websturbation." This is it at it's finest.

3) So buckley disbanded a guild and a forum. Uhm. Ok, so that's a little freakish and misanthropic, but seriously, why? The only explanation we have is from one guy, who in the mean time is venting his hate for Buckley, saying that he was drunk. So this makes his comic bad? The whole point of this column I just wrote is that if we stopped reading comics (or listening to music, or watching TV) every time the creator did something misanthropic we wouldn't have any entertainment left by now. With the possible exception of Dick Van Dyke. That man is class.

4) Straub is funny. Really, he is. But he's as socially inept as Kurtz and Buckley. What I'm talking about are the comments he puts in the most public place, with his comic. He say Buckley accidentally walked backward into popularity. because his work is derivitive. I say, "Derivitive? what?" Kurtz admits a cancer-like jealousy of Buckley's success, despite doing better and being as big a dork. Fact: Buckley has better art than PVP. Fact: Buckley ahs more compelling characters than Penny Arcade. I'm not saying it's funnier, because it's not. PA beats him in the funny, hands down. PVP, on the other hand .... ANyway, fact: Buckley has more coherant story writing than any other story comic I've ever read with the possible exception of Inverloch, and he's more consistantly funny than just about every other story comic (probable exceptioni: Something Positive). So, while this doesn't make it the greatest comic ever, it does make it a pretty darn good comic. So it's another gaming comic. Why does that even matter? He's funny, he's good, and he's consistent with comic presentation. It's only stupid little fanboy needs an creator jealousy that think his COMIC sucks because HE has done some screwed up things outside of the comic. There's a difference.

Or else you should never listen to Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, or 90% of other bands because they treat women poorly and do drugs in their personal time. Their music doesn't matter.

so yeah, even after reading that thread, I'm no more convinced that Straub and Kurtz have anything to say on the matter that doesn't directly stem from misplaced hostility and jealousy.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 04:34:35 PM »
The reason they don't like Buckley is because how he treats people like his fans and other webcomic artists and the reason they don't like CAD is because he rips jokes straight from PA, and other comics, almost word for word.  It's called originality.

You didn't make it very far in that thread, because Kurtz had a wonderfully honest post a few pages in but it's not like you'd give the guy any credit anyway since you already hate him.

I personally have never cared for CAD because I just don't find it that funny mostly because he relies on what ever the current popular/unpopular game as his punchline but it's just a stand in word you can just replace game name with another game name, movie, TV show, song, ect and the joke is the same.   I'm not going to get into the argument about story lines, art or characters since that's all opinion based and frankly is not anything that has to do with the discussion.

Oh and as a final note, I do make some decisions of what music, movies, games ect I like based off how the people involved treat people.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 04:41:13 PM »
actually, I read every word of all 7 pages. It's in that same post that he talks about his cancerous rage.

I've noticed very few ripped jokes. Since you have admitted not reading it, I suspect you are the one who hasn't read what he's talking about. But thanks for the misguided accusations Sprig! You can go over there for some nice parting gifts.

Nice that you're willing to ignore the things that make it original so you can call it unoriginal though. Thanks for contributing to the haters!

If you make those decisions, you should stop reading Kurtz. he's a major wank to everyone. You know it, I know it. If you want to hate BUckely and his art for his personal life, fine, but it's 100% hypocritical to say that he deserves it and then like Kurtz for it.

Incidentally, I finally bothered to read the one sided threat about dropping forums. He dropped forums because he was accused of pedophilia and wanted people to start treating each other nicely.
Behavior of a social idiot? I don't think so. Behavior of someone trying to cut out the crap? Yes.

Thus I won't bother to register to read the Panda Attack forums about the disbanding of the Rapscallions. This drama is crap.

Oh, and incidentally, if you want to "show" how he's copying everyone else, you'll want to post a whole lot of links. Since one or two aren't representative of the hundreds there when you try to demonstrate his plagiarism -- your description of the "copying" has little to nothing to do with the descriptions the actual creators are using. They're saying he blended PA and PVP. A charge I find... mystifying at best.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 04:48:47 PM by SaintEhlers »