Author Topic: Webcomics You Read Regularly  (Read 8421 times)

Fangirl

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Join the Dark Side - We have cookies!
    • View Profile
    • The Smith Geeks
Webcomics You Read Regularly
« on: November 25, 2005, 08:37:53 PM »
Okay, I don't have much a life, and my job affords me a lot of time to check out webcomics.  These are the ones I read all the time ... anyone have others to add?

Dominic Deegan: Oracle For Hire http://www.dominic-deegan.com .  Puns, snark, and an oracle that really doesn't like his customers.  Doesn't get any better than that.  (7 days a week)

PvP - I know a ton of people on this site probably read this one.  

PA - Yeah, same for that one.  I spent three days going through the Penny Arcade archives ... best way to spend time, ever.

GU Comics - Games-related, plus monkeys, and recently, Celine Dion as a beer wench!  http://www.gucomics.com.  M-F

Ctrl+Alt+Del - I'm sure plenty of people here read this one, too.

Flintlocke's Guide to Azeroth - I don't play WoW, but I spent enough time on the forums, and this comic cracks me up.  http://pc.gamespy.com/flintlocke/

Full Frontal Nerdity - I'm sure this one is popular, as well.  http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/ffn/ffn.htm

Dork Tower - D&D, woo!  http://www.dorktower.com

8-Bit Theater - D&D, woo (again)!  http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php

Pet Professional - "The Punisher" for annoying animals.  http://www.petprofessional.net

Real Life - I just started reading this one.  http://www.reallifecomics.com/index.php

WTF Comics - Everquest-based.  I don't play, but I was entertained by the archives.  http://69.57.151.222/index.html  **Note ... sorry about the Appearance of Cussing ... that's really what the website's called.  Ironically, there's no cussing in it, which kind of confuses me.**

Comedity - This one's a recent addition to my Favorites folder.  http://www.comedity.com

I also check out Little Gamers, Applegeeks, and Strong Bad on an every-now-and-again basis.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 10:16:30 PM by Fangirl »
"The Sith can throw lightning from their fingertips; this makes any one of them a Darth and stormy knight."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Webcomics You Read Regularly
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 09:19:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Fangirl, be sure to introduce yourself and read the FAQ.

As for webcomics I really only read a few

PVP
Penny Arcade
Sam and Fuzzy

then I'll catch up on Order of the Stick about once a week or so.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 06:43:30 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 09:34:43 PM »
I actually read few webcomics regularly...

1.Penny Arcade

2.Girl Genius

3.Scary Go Round.

thats it unless someone shows me another that I might read every once in a while.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 12:38:53 AM »
WTF Comics - Everquest-based.  I don't play, but I was entertained by the archives.  http://69.57.151.222/index.html  **Note ... sorry about the Appearance of Cussing ... that's really what the website's called.  Ironically, there's no cussing in it, which kind of confuses me.**

One of the mods got stressed out a bit back and decided it was swearing.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 01:35:41 AM »
huh, I thought that filter got removed by Tage.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 03:37:26 AM »
I'm a big fan of User Friendly. It may not be the most plot intensive webcomic, best drawn, or even the funniest, but I think it's absolutely hilarious and Dust Puppy is so cute! I really need to get a plush Dust Puppy one of these days...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 04:55:56 AM by Vaj »
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 02:55:42 AM »
I just tried the "user friendly" link and it asked me for a user name and password. Maybe the joke is that it's called "user friendly" but isn't. Isn't it ironic? Don't you...ah, forget it.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 03:21:55 AM »
it's actually .org not .com

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 03:41:31 AM »
1. Penny-Arcade - these make my week.
2. PvP - Kurtz sometimes makes something great, most of the time its only slightly above average.
3. Order of the Stick - How can you not love these guys?
4. Wapsi Square - When it is funny, it is really good. When it tries to go dark and moody it is virtually indesciferable.  

I quit reading 8-Bit before the comic even got to the pirates.  I just started to lose interest then.  

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 10:52:47 AM »
The grand list, ones that I know the update days for and check for their updates. There are a few others that I wander into every so often but this list is long enough as it is :P

Penny Arcade - i'm a gamer. I love PA, and it's newsposts are the most interesting rants in all of webcomicdom.

Megatokyo - it's gone kind of wierd but I still read it and enjoy it. Wish the characters would grow a little though. Mostly interested in how Kimiko copes with being an otaku idol. It's sped up a lot now.

The Midlands - a urban fantasy (I guess) story of multiple realities, elves and political intrigue. Takes a long while to get going but it's got a cast of fascinating characters and a storyline that's not blatently obvious. Has nudity, quite a lot of it.

Questionable Content - fun but i'm getting tired of it being a constant round of sitcom-esque jokes and little actual plot.  He needs to remember the lesson of Megatokyo.

Order of the Stick - the jokes are kind of obvious but it's still pretty funny. Reminds me of Team America - sometimes you forget it's a giant satire and then something really silly happens.

Misfile - a bizarre little comic about a couple of inept angels and two kids whose life they managed to screw up (by dropping 2 years off of one and making the other the wrong gender). Has nudity. Not as bad as I just made it sound :P

Control Alt Delete - the best strips are the ones with no plot. The story of the 4 geeks is, i'm afraid, kind of boring. I prefer the strips with the red guy and the blue guy.

Aikida - started out as a gamer comic, turned into a sitcom, and recently the author rebooted the comic and appears to be using the same characters in a fantasy/punk world. Not gone far enough with the new plot to see how good it is. The original version was okish, but nothing amazing.

Nodwick - i've got the LJ feed for this. It's a quick bit of fun that pops up on my friends list. Full frontal nerdity is pretty funny, nodwick itself less so.

Chugworth - written by a fellow brit. Silly, not updating as often as could be hoped. Not the best comic ever, but kind of amusing. Borderline nudity.

Something Positive - I rejuvinate my cynical energies at the great shrine of S*P. I don't like the art style but the characters are great. I'm thinking he needs to move the plot a little faster though. And too often the main character can stun people into silence - it has a very faint tinge of Mary Sue sometimes.

Simulated Comic Project - a comic thats a set of one-shot jokes. Bizarre and funny. Can be hit and miss, but when he hits I love him for it.

GU Comics - one-panel joke comic about MMORPG's and general computer gaming. Funny. If you click on the comic it'll take you to the forum thread for it, with a short newspost style thing by the author and a discussion thread about the things the strip was about. Great if your a MMORPG fan, not so great otherwise.

Irregular Webcomic - a comic made out of lego! I don't get a lot of the jokes, and the puns are kind of boring, but I still like IWC. Some storylines are better than others, but I love how he organises and sorts his archive.

Concerned - the story of Gordon Frohman, as he goes through the Half Life 2 story settings messing them up, shortly before Freeman gets there. Silly, but funny. Includes lots of jokes about HL2 and it's idiosyncracies. The author explains a lot of the more obscure stuff in his newsposts below the comic.

Earthsong - a new comic. Waiting to see how it goes. It's moving at a fair clip, but the characters, thus far, are not the most interesting.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 10:54:45 AM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 04:58:18 AM »
it's actually .org not .com

Thanks Spriggan. I fixed the link so it works correctly now. This is what happens when I visit there so often I just have to type "u" and my computer fills in the rest of the address for me instead of having to pay attention. hehe. Sorry!
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 10:49:13 AM »
ok, I finally got around to exporting my comic reading list as it currently stands
I have the name and it's frequency as a link. If you want description, go away. I don't have that kind of time after reading them all.
here's my list

A couple of the currently read ones are actually on hiatus, I jsut haven't gotten around to moving it to the right folder yet.

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 01:00:19 AM »

8-Bit Theater - D&D, woo (again)!  http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php

Actually, 8-bit Theater is a Final Fantasy/Japanese RPGs parody.  Doesn't have anything to do with D&D except indirectly (the first Japanese RPG was based on D&D, but they don't bear much resemblance to D&D these days).

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 09:14:02 AM »
That would be inaccurate. Red Mage, while based on a Final Fantasy meme, is the prototypical rules lawyer. And the rules he cites are nearly always based on D&D 3ed, with occassional references to 1st or 2nd.

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 01:49:51 AM »
I stand corrected.  8-bit Theater is a Final Fantasy/Japanese RPGs/D&D parody. :)