Author Topic: Caiticlu's comic  (Read 2966 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Caiticlu's comic
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:34:30 AM »
I want to check out your comic, Caiticlu, but you have the site set up in a non-user friendly manner. The controls are partially off screen and the comics are too small to read at all (not even remotely close) unless you enlarge them. That'd be almost ok if you could first/previous straight from the enlarged window, but you have to close it, then click next, then load a new window. You shouldn't have to click three times to see a single comic.

The first comic was kind of amusing, but I didn't get past that.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Caiticlu's comic
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 11:57:46 AM »
I don't know where to find a link to her comic...
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:59:49 PM »
The little house in her profile. it's a home page. I tend to look at the "members" list once a month or so to see if anyone new has a web site worth looking at.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 09:01:31 PM »
for the lazy:http://www.freewebs.com/cwickedj/

I've been wanting too say something for a few weeks myself, especially on the web design front.  I think you should stick to one front color, and something that complements the colors in your background and not a purple or blue.  At least this current design is better then the old one with a green background and purple text, I personally refuse to even read a site that plays with it's font colors too much.

I realize that you're using a free webhosting company and are quite limited in what you can do on your site, thus the smaller comic that requires you to click on the image to see a larger one, so I'm not going to bother there except to say it would be nice to let the reader know they need to click on a comic to see the full sized version.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 10:34:52 PM »
 :o I just fainted dead away. Sprig used the correct spelling of the word "complement!"
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 01:43:24 AM »
I must second E and Sprig.  I would have clicked through a great many more strips (I made it through three) if I could just position the mouse in one place and click away, once per new strip.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 02:11:50 AM »
I'm thinking she should work on making her comics actually the size of the photo album that's running the site, again guys this is a free webhosting site she can't do much in terms of scripting or back-end changes, so that everything is readable at the smaller size.  This would require cleaning up the comics more using levels (in photoshop) or retracing it so the lines are cleaner, especially in the text department since this gets hard to read on some comics.  I also would defiantly not color something unless it's via the computer or you spend a lot of time making it very clean with the pencils or markers.

Also, the smiley face link doesn't work. And please get rid of that horrible, eye-gouging green on the contact page.  Fonts should never be that bright or painful to read, if you like the color just de-saturate it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 02:14:53 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 02:43:03 AM »
Wii double post!

Anyway here's what adjusting the levels and doing about 5-7 minutes of clean up work does:

Caiticlu, you should notice the file sizes on those files.  Your original JEPG is 31kb my PNG is 1.8kb.  JPEG compression should be used only for photographs and images with hundreds or more colors.  For line art and things with a low color count you should use a GIF or PNG.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 01:33:57 AM »
I'm using Safari on a Mac (most recent versions of software). For me, the comics automatically go to the large size, and I can see about 2 of the 3 panels unless I open it in a new window. The controls are completely off the page.
And I agree with Sprig's comment about the green color.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 10:20:05 PM »
Hey, I was just tipped off to the existance of this thread!
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. I will do my best to fix it up.
The site has changed a bit to make it easier to access.
The idea about making the comic in the size it will appear is a good one, I will try that.
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...