Author Topic: Van Von Hunter?  (Read 5448 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Van Von Hunter?
« on: September 30, 2006, 12:13:37 AM »
Has anyone here read Van Von Hunter? It just went through this Harry Potter parody sidestory that was pretty funny, starting the strip after this one.

I think these guys' humor works better in the strip format than it does in the book format.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Van Von Hunter?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 01:51:37 AM »
That looks pretty good, I'll have to read more.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 02:31:52 PM »
I'm reading it right now from the beginning, and it's pretty funny.

I agree about the humor, though--it's funny on a strip by strip basis, but I'm not sure how it would work in the book format. Maybe I'll have to check out a book copy and compare. Since it's published by Tokyopop, have you already read the book?
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 07:33:32 PM »
I've read all three books. They take place 3 years after the webcomic. There's also a version currently running in some Sunday newspapers that takes place before the webcomic.

The books definitely have their good moments, but sometimes the jokes just come off as trying too hard.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 03:20:50 AM »
Aside: I just noticed the new name, Spoookla, and I think it's AWESOME. I vote it best forum holiday name of all time.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 07:25:33 PM »
Yay! :)

Oh, I finished book 3 on Thursday (I hadn't read the last chapter) and it was definitely the best of the books. Quite funny, and its parodies of DBZ, FMA, and random evil overlords were great.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 07:28:07 PM by OoklaTheMok »

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 02:21:20 AM »
Can I say that I love the Flaming Prince? I finished the entire online strip the other day, and I think he is one of my favorite "less effective" villians ever. I mean, how he got his name is absolutely hilarious! And the sidekick's reaction to his evil plot to kidnap her and make her marry him--I thought that was just classic. ("You mean, I'm going to be a princess? Yay!)  :D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 07:19:23 PM »
Yeah, I loved that part.

He's pretty dang funny in book 3 too, though he's not the major villain. He is the major villain of book 1 though.

I'm impressed by how quickly these guys' art improved.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 07:20:21 PM by OoklaTheMok »