Author Topic: real world vs fantastic worlds  (Read 6019 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
real world vs fantastic worlds
« on: September 19, 2002, 11:36:31 AM »
heres an interesting thing. i find that im more interested in Call of cthulhu and its rules than DnD, despite an identicle(sp) system. the only reason i can think of is that its all very well imagining galinus the elf fighting in a smoky building, but when you imagine Johnathan, the chalet turned investigator from san fransisco, it suddenly become more immediate. this just me, or does anyone else get this?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: real world vs fantastic worlds
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2002, 12:29:54 PM »
I think it has to do with what fantasy writers call the "supsension of disbelief." Essentially, there is less that you have to imagine in Call of Cthulu, so it feels a little more real to you right away. It take more effort for you to get into a fantastic world because there is more that you have to imagine.

So yes, I think a lot of people would agree with your assessment.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 12:32:00 PM »
I, however, disagree. Personally, I hated CoC. I'm an escapist, myself; so when I role-play, I want to be somewhere else.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 01:05:09 PM »
thats the wierd thing, tage. so am i.
maybe it also has to do with the fact that DnD, in the books and the normal settings (feurun etc) is very sterotypical fantasy. normally i like that, but it just doesnt jive with me in the case of dnd. that and the fact that im fast getting bored with sterotypical fantasy settings - ive seen the dwarfs elfs etc already. i wanna see something more interesting, something that i havent already seen a thousand times already in books, games and films. and the fact that CoC is really dark, which is how i like my games (of all kinds).
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 01:38:48 PM »
I think it's actually harder to incorporate fantastical elements well into a realistic setting.  It's easy to imagine a dragon living in a cave in the forest, but it's harder to imagine one living in the back room of Joe's Garage on the corner.  Fantasy settings would be challenging if they really did force you to imagine all-new settings and characters, but they usually fall back on familiar images with one or two little twists to keep complete boredom from setting in.  That's why most fantasy relies largely on familiar things instead of working with entirely novel and foreign worlds.  Fantasy RPGs that try to do the latter (Skyrealms of Jorune, Talislanta, World of Synnibar) are usually monumental failures.  People can't really connect with them because everything about them is foreign.

It is as challenging to create a contrast of reality and fantasy as it is to cut a fantasy from whole cloth.  Part of the attraction of Call of Cthulhu is that it posits the existence of the most unlikely things (octopus-headed gods, star-plant-creatures from space, fish-people) in a setting that requires a lot of strict realism and historical accuracy.

I didn't really want to weigh in on this topic, though.  I just wanted an excuse to ask Charlie this question: So, how does a chalet turn into an investigator?  I'm stumped - that requires a mixing of fantasy and reality that goes beyond my abilities.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 04:26:10 PM »
well... if he is a swiss herdsman's hut, which is what a online dictionary says he is, then the answer is "he doesnt".
if, however, he is a limo driver (car doesnt matter) then it could happen lots of ways. his boss is a cultist, his sister gets pregnant by a deep one (yummy!), he sees a Bykahee, he stumbles across a cultist hideout... anything really. how does a dwarf become an adventurer? same question.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2002, 04:27:51 PM by Charlie82 »

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2002, 04:38:11 PM »
A cross between a chauffeur and a valet?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2002, 04:53:00 PM »
Well, I have to agree with Kid a little. CoC is very fantastical. However, At the start of CoC it is usually very realistic and then it becomes fantastical as it progresses. About mid way it is as bizarre and fantastic as any D&D campaign. There is really just a sort of learning curve difference between the two systems.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2002, 02:37:47 AM »
I think the reason CoC is so appealing is because we can imagine it happening right in our own back yards.  Sauron can't come and threaten your shopping mall, but Great Cthulhu is certainly able to send his unspeakable minions scuttling up onto Miami Beach.  Where typical fantasy might as well take place on a planet a thousand light years away and a zillion years ago, CoC is much more up close and personal.

Oh, and there are some pretty cool non-traditional fantasy worlds out there.  I still love Talislanta (now in it's fourth edition, a huge hardbound book), which reads like tha bastard child of George Lucas and Lord Dunsenay.  Dying Earth is another incredible game with a background that makes it a true role-player's dream and a very original rules system.  Oathbound is another newer game that is little known, but a lot of fun and worth taking a look at.  And I don't care what anybody else says: Star Wars isn't sci-fi; it is epic sword and sorcery fantasy that just happens to be set in space.  Try playing it with a more fantastical twist and you might have something more than you ever thought possible.  Hope this helps.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2002, 10:33:40 AM »
I think most of the people in this forum will agree that Star Wars is not science fiction.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2002, 03:15:47 PM »
I wouldn't say that Star Wars is not science fiction, but I would definitely say that it is fantasy. I don't see why the two have to be exclusive.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2002, 03:42:49 PM »
it's a "space opra" which is a sci-fi fantasy mix, I agree with fell it's both.  If it wasn't sci-fi then you wouldn't have lasers and spaceships and if it wan't fantasy it wouldn't have the force.  
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2002, 04:27:48 PM »
Don't we all know better than to go down the road of whether Star Wars is fantasy or sci-fi?  It's like tic-tac-toe - the only way to win is to not play.  I'm glad that the Call of Cthulhu setting thread has been resurrected, though, as I just posted my Top Ten Horror RPG list, on which CoC has a prominent place.  The problem with CoC, though, is that it isn't that much less remote than Tolkien's fantasy.  Real Cthulhu stories take place almost a century ago, and that might as well be Middle Earth for all we know about life in the early 1900s.  I always get a little squirmy playing in specific historic time periods, though, because I never feel like I'm being true enough to the period.  I become the guy that looks for watches on the wrists of cast-members in The Ten Commandments.  

I'm glad Slant brought up Talislanta, though.  What a great game.  I have two different versions of it, and I've always been of the opinion that its quality eroded with each edition, especially when Wizards first released their version.  You can't beat an RPG with over 50 playable races, though, with each race having its own unique classes.  Wow.  Anyone else ever play this game/world-builder's-disease tumor?

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2002, 12:31:16 PM »
The other way to win Tic-Tac-Toe is to play against a stupid person.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2002, 04:34:27 PM »
I had thought about picking up Talislanta a while back.  I downloaded the preview from their site and was blown away by the detail, originality, and fun of the game.  It's another one of those games that I'll probably pick up "someday."