Author Topic: Campaign Help  (Read 5299 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Help
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2003, 08:05:51 PM »
Yes, I agree that it isn't a competition. Unfortunately, I will likely have a player who complains constantly that his/her player isn't useful or powerful enough when the rest of the players see that character as being too powerful. I don't mind playing a weaker character, but some people just have to be the top dog. This becomes more problematic when there is more than one player like this. When I have students like this I classify them as having serious self-esteem issues.

I'm trying to think of ways to elviate the whole issue. I think that if I just make sure that everyone has something to do then everything should go fine. It's keeping players from complaining about things they should be whining about to begin with.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2003, 08:17:20 PM »
Unfortunately, that's not really a game problem, it's a player problem. If you have a game that doesn't care so much that everyone's the same power, no matter how well everyone plays (hmm... sounds like certain political systems), then you need to play with people who realize that relative power levels are not the point of the game. If they don't/can't realize that, you have to either use a system that accomodates them or get rid of them.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2003, 08:34:05 PM »
Here, here, Saint Ehlers!

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2003, 11:59:36 AM »
I agree with Saint Ehlers.  I know that doesn't offer much help to you 42, but sometimes we have to palce the blame where it is due.  If you have players that are immature and/or meta-game thinkers, there is not much you as a DM/GM/Storyteller can do to cater your story to them.  I have been dealing with a player like this for years, and it has been very difficult as the rest of the players have evolved into wanting a greater role-playing aspect to the game, and he just wants to be the best at everything.  The way the other players and I have dealt with the situtation is to have him play a character type that is a "jack-of-all-trades," find out what sort of mood he is in with this character (fighter, mage, rogue, etc.) then try to evolve the character along those lines.  This may not work with your particular situtation, but it has been fairly successfull for us.

Most importantly, "the needs of the many out-weigh the needs of the few, or the one," and you as the DM/GM/Storyteller, eventually have to play the role of "God of your universe" and nudge the character down a path, or away from a path, accordingly.  I tyr to do this in game as well as I can, but sometimes it doesn't always work out that way.  Don't sacrifice the enjoyment of everyone else for just this person.  If they get bored or frustrated, tough.  Life, whether real or role-played, aint always the way we would like it to be.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2003, 05:09:47 PM »
Thaks for the advice everyone, I think I have a little more direction than I did before. I'm starting to identify some potential problems. I agree that some of the players might be immature and inexperienced. I'm giving them a shot and if they don't improve then I'll boot them. Fortunately, most of the players should be cool.

I'm going thru with most of the rule changes. I won't be implementing a spell point system for arcane casters, unfortunately. It simply grew too complicated, too quickly. Still, I'm pleased how things are working out for now.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2003, 05:44:55 PM »
It occurs to me that Decipher's CODA system has a great method for using damage to reflect fatigue and decreased ability, as you mentioned you wanted to do. The difference is simple,since CODA and D20 are so close, but converting it would take a bit of tricky modification.

Whereas D20 uses a single block of hit points, CODA uses a much smaller wound number and then gives you six levels of it. An average wound number is 7 or so, which means that you have seven points per wound level--36 hit points overall. Each wound level carries a penalty that applies to combat, skills, and savings throws. If you are "healthy" (anywhere from 30 to 36 hit points) you have no penalty, but if you are "dazed" (anywhere from 23 to 29) you get a -1 to all actions. "Injured" (from 16 to 22) gives you a -3 penalty, and so on.

Obviously, characters in CODA have far more hit points than starting characters in D20, so you'll have to modify it a little, but the system is very smooth and adds a lot of realism to the game--damage starts to really matter. I hope I explained it well...maybe Slant can explain it better.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2003, 06:03:09 PM »
Thanks, it sounds interesting, but I think it is a little too complicated for the gaming group I'll be working with. Like I said, realism isn't a huge concern for me. I'll be adding some health based saving throws and I think that will be sufficient. Anymore might cause some of the players to revolt.