Author Topic: Steampunk  (Read 2084 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Steampunk
« on: February 16, 2003, 02:48:32 PM »
So I've heard a lot of talk about steampunk RPGs, yet no one seems to have a decent source book. What I gather to be part of hte problem is that no one seems to have the same idea of what would constitute a steampunk setting.

For me when I think of steampunk, I tend to think of Jules Verne and Mary Shelley. What I don't think of is League of Extraordinary Gentleman, which I find to have too much comic book camp in it.

So what do other people think of as steampunk and what would you put into a steampunk source book?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: Steampunk
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 09:08:56 PM »
Check out GURPS Steampunk.  Also take a look at Children of the Sun.  If you want something with a stronger Jules Verne component, check out the late, lamented Space 1889.

If you like that time period, I personally loved Masque of the Red Death, a gothic campaign setting put out by TSR back some time ago.  It takes place in the 1860's or so and it is truly one of the best things TSR ever put out.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 11:11:02 AM »
I've looked at GUTPS Steampunk. It's not exactly what I had in mind. I think Lamented Space looks interesting.

What I'm wondering is what is essential steampunk? Technology? Magic? etc...
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 02:03:33 PM »
This gave me a giggle.

It's "Space 1889" not "Lamented Space"

An easy mistake to make from the previous post, though.  Of course, now I must work on my own Sci-Fi ruleset so I can call it "Lamented Space."

Actually, that wouldn't be a terrible band name... Mind if I steal it, 42?   :)

All in jest, of course

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 03:14:25 PM »
Yes well, lamented Space sounds much cooler than Space: 1889.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 05:07:25 PM »
How about Lamenated Space?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 08:23:02 AM »
Castle Falkenstein is the Steampunk RPG, and not just for LARPERS. Its also a great read, unless you get the GURPS Version.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!