Author Topic: Happy Things 2006: Generation X  (Read 35534 times)

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Things 2006: Generation X
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 04:45:48 PM »
I'm happy that I'm not the only one that loves Gilmore Girls. It's my favoritetist.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 08:13:06 PM »
I'm happy because tomorrow is my birthday and I got five paperbacks at the thrift store today.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 12:42:31 AM »
I got my official GRE scores. I did well in the writing section. Go me. Can I hear a "What were they on when they scored that?"

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 07:03:26 PM »
What you talking 'bout?  Obviously your writing is excellent.

I'm happy because everyone has wished me a happy birthday and my new watch is really cool.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 02:08:43 PM »
I'm happy because I have a job that I think is going to work perfectly to meet my current needs.

I've been hired by a local tutoring business run by family friends. (Having connections when you job search is so nice. They didn't even interview me, it was more like, "We want you to work here. Do you want to?") For starters, my set hours are Tu/Th from 3:30-6:30. As new meds are making me pretty sick, but I seem to do better in the afternoons, working a couple of afternoons for three hours is just about right. And I love kids and teaching, so it's a good mix. They have their own program that the kids work through, so I don't have to prepare anything, just show up and run the kids through their work. Nice and not stressful. I'm not going to break the bank, but I'll have gas money and entertainment and such.

The funny thing was when he told me my salary. Usually he starts people out at $10 an hour, but he's going to start me at $11.50 (again the benefits of knowing your boss already and having him like you). He apologized, though, for having to pay me so little. 'Course, it's not a lot of hours, but it was still funny how he felt bad about paying me so "little." I didn't bother telling him it's more than I've made at any of my jobs, including my upcoming internship. Granted, this is California, not Utah. Trying to live in California on $11.50 an hour, no matter how many hours, is much more difficult.

Anyways, I'm happy about it. I think it's going to be a perfect fit. And I'll be able to pick up more hours as time goes by. So, yay!  ;D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 03:46:02 PM »
I'm happy because the boss approved the purchase of Adobe CS2.

Yay for upgrades!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 04:37:52 PM »
I'm happy because Ari is flying down to visit on the 16th of February.  If you TWG Utah people throw a party while she's around, I'll try to drag her along.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2006, 05:13:29 PM »
I'm happy because I just got a phone call from a good friend from Boston who moved away, went to Jerusalem, got married, etc. etc. and who happens to be living in Seattle now. I'd been meaning to get back in touch with her, but hadn't figured out her phone number yet (it's buried somewhere in 9-months-old email). She's back in town (apparently, she had to study one more semester in Boston to finish her program) and living nearby. If that isn't enough, four or five OTHER friends from Boston happen to be in town this weekend, and everyone's getting together for dinner tonight. I'm SO glad she called me. It'll be so great to catch up with her, and maybe we'll be able to start hanging out again now that we've got each others' phone numbers!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2006, 05:41:04 PM »
I'm happy because Ari is flying down to visit on the 16th of February.  If you TWG Utah people throw a party while she's around, I'll try to drag her along.

That's during LTUE.  Should be way way easy to have a get together then, yeah?  Let's do it.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2006, 09:21:56 PM »
I'm happy because my computer got a huge new, but I'm not sure how happy that is because it seems too big.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 08:29:16 PM by Lightning_Eater »

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 03:03:49 AM »
I'm happy because my computer got a huge new , but I'm not sure how happy that is because it seems too big.

My computer got a huge gnu, and those can never be too big. ;)
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2006, 09:12:29 AM »
No gnus are good news.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2006, 12:27:17 PM »
But Gary Gnu was a good gnu and brought us the gnu g-news!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »
but even *he* said no gnus is good gnus.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »
Aw, come on, LE, it's not nearly as fun when you edit your post to include the missing word.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder