Author Topic: RPG Market  (Read 6931 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Market
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2003, 03:00:55 PM »
True, but kids our a perpetual market. For a wider market we'll need more than just kids. I wonder if we could get superbowl time and what the commercial would look like?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2003, 03:06:14 PM »
Gee, Saint, you made my day.

If I may bring up a tangent, I've been thinking a lot about kid-oriented RPGs lately, mainly because I have two now and want to roleplay with them someday. Also, being a religious man (you non-Mormons might not care about the rest of this post) I think that a Bible or Book of Mormon-based RPG could be a really interesting learning/amusement tool. I don't really have anything else to say about it, except that it's been rolling around in my mind and relates (in a sort of tangential way) to the current topic.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2003, 03:19:23 PM »
oooh oooh I wanna be Moroni!!!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2003, 03:44:51 PM »
Actually, this idea was brought up by my mother-in-law, who had bought her rabid LOTR fan-girl duaghter the FOTR Adventure Game box. They didn't understand what an RPG was so I explained, and she asked why I didn't do one for Mormons. I mostly explained I didn't think it would be a profitable venture, since the demographic of RPG buyers vs. the overall population is so small that further limiting that demographic to Mormons would make it completely economically disastrous. Besides, you'd have problems with "divine interventions," good guys losing, etc. Even if you had an EXCELLENT system and a good publication (which is rare in Mormon publication land) I think it would be a bigger headache than it's worth. Maybe a small system for just you and your friends... then when they keep passing it to their friends, and a lot of people already like it, you could do it.

OR!

You could do an Book of Mormon d20 expansion!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2003, 04:03:14 PM »
Not to mention overcoming the Religious stigma against RPG's
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2003, 05:33:33 PM »
The religious stigma would be the hard part, definitely. Once you've overcome that, Mormons would buy a Mormon RPG specifically because it's Mormon. That's how the market works.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2003, 05:40:16 PM »
Yeah but... what would you do in such a RPG? Be errily nice and cheerful to everyone while plotting to take over the world through sheer weight of numbers? (i kid... i kid).
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2003, 06:14:08 PM »
"Ok, so you're planning to take dinner to the Carlsons who just had a baby. What's your caserole skill? Roll against a difficulty of 15. Oh, and your husband must make a 'Shmooze' check against difficulty 20 to make them laugh at his corny jokes."

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2003, 06:31:05 PM »
How would I market RPGs to a general audience?  The same way most everything else is marketed: use a celebrity pitchman.  This may sound like a smartass answer, but I'm quite serious.  Role-playing is usually associated with hopeless social misfits and computer geeks, hence the negative connotation.

Pretty girl:  "Who should I go out with this weekend."

Bob:         "I'm a D&D player where I play a seventh level druid."

Chuck:     "I'm on the football team where I play quarterback."

Pretty girl:  "Oooooh, Chuck (squeal)!"

Now there are several celebrities out there who have heartily admitted to playing and enjoying RPGs for a long time.  The three that I can think of off the top of my head are Elijah Wood, Jolene Blaylock, and Vin Diesel.  Think about getting Vin Diesel as the spokesperson for WotC.  Hell, think about Elijah Wood pitching the LotR RPG.  And can you IMAGINE the response a game would get if Jolene Blaylock's picture appeared on the cover of the main rulebook?  The unspoken thought would be "If these cool, beautiful people play these games, then I will be more like them if I play, too."  In business terms, this is known as shameless pimping, but it works.

Another avenue to get more people into RPGs is to advertise them on tv!  This might seem obvious, but when it the last time that any of us saw any commercials for RPGs?  Sticking a few commercials in a prime time viewing slot might go a long way to getting the word out to the mass market.  

And by all means, we need a game that is going to appeal to EVERYBODY.  It should be fun, allow for all sorts of adventures ad character types, have easy rules, and should have a non-gaming reference point that everybody is familiar with.  That said, I have absolutely no clue why nobody has come out with a game based on Harry Potter.  Think about it; it would be an instant hit and EVERYBODY would want to buy it so they could play Hogwarts students standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Harry, Dumbledore, Mad-Eye Moody & co. as they try to prevent You-Know-Who from regaining his old power.  Hell, I'd play it.

Finally, just a word on religious role-playing-games.  There is an excellent game out called Holy Lands which will be coming out with it's second edition very soon.  Also, in less than a month we will be seeing a d20 game called Testament: Role-Playing in the Biblical Age.  From what little I have seen of it, it looks absolutely incredible.  Heck, it gives me an uncontrollable urge to go out and smite Philistines!
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2003, 06:36:48 PM »
Whoa! Hold on one g-damned second there!

Vin Diesel plays RPG's?

Vin Diesel knows how to read?

This is news to me man. And i was not aware that Elijah Wood did either.

And who is Jolene Blaylock? The token alien chick in Enterprise? Vulcan?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2003, 06:45:24 PM »
Yeah, you sure on your sources for this Slant? Or have you just been reading "Dork Tower" again? (go ahead two spots if you read that, #729 is hilarious)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2003, 06:57:40 PM »
I just came up with the commercial:

We make one for Decipher. Elijah Wood (in the expected costume is preparing to throw the ring into the fires of Mt Doom. Only Gollum shows up. And all the Nazgul. And Sauron. And Saruman. And a fleet of orcs.  Frodo backs away frightened. Until Van Disel, dressed as Aragorn, comes in and kicks everyone's butt into the stone age.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2003, 07:01:22 PM »
And then Jolene Blaylock plants a big sloppy kiss on Frodo.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2003, 07:06:00 PM »
mmmmmmmmm..... sloppy kiss from Jolene Blaylock.... <insert drool here>. Wait, is this *MY* fantasy or Elijah Wood's?

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2003, 08:01:41 PM »
All the references to celebrity gamers were taken from interviews with said gamers.  But the fact that people seem to have a hard time believing it DOES illustrate my earlier statement that certain types of people are percieved as gamers, and others aren't.  Yes, Virginia: good-looking, famous, popular people play RPGs too.

And yes, Vin IS a gamer.  Although I'm not sure if that is a point for or against gaming in general.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly