Author Topic: Character Sheets  (Read 2687 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Character Sheets
« on: April 30, 2003, 06:05:18 PM »
So, Spriggan has asked me to post my Palladium character sheet. This is the first draft so I don't expect it to be perfect. It' fairly generic and was copied from various other character sheets. Enjoy.

http://www.timewastersguide.com/RPG/Graphics/palladium-cs1.pdf

In the near future I hope to post my D&D 3e character sheet.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Character Sheets
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 01:13:12 AM »
So I made a d20 DnD character sheet the other weekend. I've been meaning to upload it, but the PDF is 1.5 mb which is more that I like. (I got sort of extravagant in the illustration/embellishment part)
So anyone have suggestions on how to shrink pdf files without make the quality crappy?

Also, I know many people on the forum feel that D20 and DnD are the spawn of the devil, but some people still play it. Well actually a lot of people.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 05:50:47 AM »
No Idea 42 but with your permission I'd like to add them to the freebies section in the RPG deparment.  Also if anyone else has something they'd like to contribute your welcome to.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 07:45:09 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 09:20:49 AM »
I'm a decor minimialist when it comes to character sheets. I want all my informations in as small a place as possible, and that means NO illustrations. Though the circles and such can be fancy. lacking that skill, the character sheets I designed for d20 are purely functional and are made using only formatting and graphic features found in basic MS Word functions. Again, not an aethetic experience, but very function as I go EVERYTHING except spell/psi power lists on one site of one page. The skill lists need better abbreviations, and my dreak is to make them automatically update all bonuses to all relevant fields, but I'm not up to that right now. I'd probably need to redo it in excel or something, since the Attributes and skills are in different text boxes right now. Anyway, that's enough blabbing.

I posted them at http://www.saintehlers.com/sheets
You'll find a character sheet, a spell list, and a psi power list. They're all in .doc and .pdf. The .doc formats are typically much larger, so I recommend the pdf and printing it out unless you want to edit on the computer. As a bonus, I included a Hackmaster sheet that I had whipped up.

Oh, and I included a sample, filled out sheet. Karalyn is a former PC/recently deceased NPC. I included it to show how I felt the sheet should be filled out, including an attached spell sheet.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 05:39:24 PM »
Thanks for posting that Saint. My character sheet is quite a bit different. Plus the aesthetics side is very imprtant to me.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 05:45:16 PM »
Yeah, yours also look a LOT better and would be more marketable (I've seen some before). I thought I'd just provide an alternative.

So, if you want to impress you gaming group, go with 42's.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 06:31:28 PM »
So here is my DnD d20 character sheet. I couldn't get the size down so consider yourself warned, it 1.5 mb. If you have a slow connection, please refrain from downloading the character sheet. I will try to make a version with a smaller file size.

http://www.timewastersguide.com/RPG/Graphics/dnd-cs1.pdf
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 06:33:11 PM by 42 »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 07:13:34 PM »
Wow. That D20 sheet is very nice. I like the celtic swirls, and the use of some areas highlighted with grey prevents it from looking too bland and boring when you glance at it. Very nice indeed.

SE's one is very... functional. It has just about every concievable thing on the main page, which is nice. I would use it for a different game than 42's - his one seems more of use in a more cerebal game, whereas SE's suggests a more hack & slash, due to having all combat stats close together.

Just my 2 pence.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2003, 07:23:26 PM »
I actually don't try to focus on h'n's. I like to mix up combat with character devel.  But the character sheet is rules information. It's easier to keep character history in your head than numbers, so let's minimize the search time for those numbers.

That's my philosophy anyway. Like I said, I think the art will impress your friends more than my efficiency.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 11:58:03 PM »
Oh, Sprig you can go ahead and add the character sheets to the freebie section.

My DnD character sheets just has a few things that I found I liked when playing. I've also have had many people use various incarnation of this character sheet, so I had a lot of feedback.

Somethings I like are:
  • The space for animal stats. I've found that about half the classes get some sort of animal companion and the others usually get at least a horse or somehting along the way.
  • Seperate places for feats and abilities. I played a halfling fighter/ranger who ended up with a lot of both.
  • Larger space for attack modifiers. SE did this too, you just need it to keep track of all your attacks after awhile.
  • Lots of space for items, everybody likes to get stuff.
  • Adventure notes area. This is my catch all spot for miscellaneous things that happen during play.
  • I like the celtic knot them, thoug it reminds me a lot of 2nd edition layout. I just wanted to draw knots and swirly things.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 11:59:27 PM by 42 »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 08:27:20 AM »
Yes, it's possible that I don't have enough space for feats. Just remember that I did this with the intention of filling it out electronically, so I figured you could fit mroe in that way. And since I did it for AORP, character history also became much more important and took up more space than you typically see in a D&D character. You can always spill the feats over into the history/personality space.