Author Topic: Mature Player?  (Read 2531 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Mature Player?
« on: May 18, 2003, 02:02:39 AM »
So this topic came up on another thread, but I've been recently discussing this with other people quite frequently. What is everyone's idea of a mature RPG player?

I notice not everyone seems to have the same idea. I for one, have been dissapointed by people I thought should be mature players (particularly when I know they have been playing for years), only to find out they really hadn't grown much as a players. I also know people without any experience who turn out to be mature players.

To get things rolling I'll throw out one characteristic I tend to find in mature players: willingness to play a weak character. You know, they type of characters that have a lot of "deadwood" or have a serious attribute penalty or just aren't as spiffy as the other party members. I find that a player who accepts playing a weak character, are often better players over all.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Mature Player?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 03:22:26 AM »
I agree that people who are willing to choose a weaker or flawed character in order to make some interesting role playing are typically mature gamers.

I would also add that a mature player doesn't meta-game or use any knowledge his character wouldn't already have.

A mature player will help a new player instead of taking advantage of him.

A mature player will try to aid the GM instead of challenging him.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 08:57:48 AM »
I would just ditto the above and add that a mature player would also be able to adapt to the system. Ie, play different games depending on the gm.

I also want to add that a mature player will volunteer to run a game every once in a while so the gm can relax and let loose as a normal player ocassionally, but that's just a whine because I want to be a player in a full campaign for a while and I still end up dming frequently.

Brian

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 02:11:38 PM »
Heh, I'd probably be too nervous to DM a game with players as experienced as SE..

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 02:44:58 PM »
I agree with everything said. Going along wiht what SE said, I htink that a mature gamer tries to make the each session fun for all the players (including the GM) and doesn't just focus on what they want out of the sessions.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 10:02:06 PM »
A mature player will try to aid the GM instead of challenging him.

I have to disagree with this in part.  There will allwayse be times when players quetion how a GM interprets things or is unfair.  Player have a right to get on the GM's case about things like that.  If it's not fun for them then they should speak up.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2003, 11:40:01 PM »
Well, there's a line somewhere in there. Yes, if it looks like the gm might have forgotten or missed something, and especially if the gm seems to be utterly clueless.... But the WAY the player brings soemthing up, even in that situation, is key. And once the gm has acknowledged being familiar with the rule, and basically knows he's breaking it and has a reason (one which he need not disclose), then the player should realize he's going to get something out of it, so he should take it.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 12:01:06 AM »
Sometimes it is appropriate for the player to question how the GM is interpreting a rule. However, my experience is that most immature players question interpretation on the mere grounds of trying to get away with some sort of self-centered scheme. So in general, the player should have enough faith in the GM that they are interpreting rules correctly.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 08:54:59 AM »
Yes, generally speaking. But a mature GM can listen to a rules challenge occassionally without thinking the game will end. Of course, if he's mature, he probably knows what he's doing and will continue on the same lines as before the challenge....

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 11:18:16 PM »
A mature GM?  Whoa, what a concept!
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 11:38:43 PM »
Yeah, GM has to be mature too. Particularly, they can't get flustered easily or get irratated. You sort have to expect that the players are going to surprise you occassionaly. Just hopefully it's not surprising you with their immaturity.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
Yeah, essentially, being a mature gm is one who can realize that he can't anticipate everything the players will want to do but isn't bothered by it. He also will recognize that his game will have certain needs if he plans it before the players make characters, and that he needs to tell them how to fit in. Or, if they make characters first, than that his game is based on their characters and he must cater to that. But most of all, both the gm and the players are there to PLAY and that it should be fun for everyone.