Author Topic: RPG Sense  (Read 1892 times)

Brian

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
RPG Sense
« on: June 15, 2003, 12:03:12 AM »
Several threads on this forum got me thinking.. would it be possible to use a forum thread to collaborate on building a game system? No, I'm not talking about working with an online team to develop a quality game system -- it would be more like a "round-robin" style story, but each poster would contribute their own mostly-self-contained rules that build off of existing rules.

It may not be very balanced, or even very logical -- but I dunno, maybe it could be fun.

For instance, if I were going to start it, I'd write something simple like:

Character Building - Stats

The three primary stats that define a character's abilities are:
Physical
Mental
Spiritual

Three secondary stats are derived from the primary stats:
Dexterity = Physical + Mental
Charisma = Physical + Spiritual influence
Wisdom = Spiritual + Mental

Maybe a strange idea, maybe a ridiculous one, but its something to do, at least. Comments of all kinds welcome.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Sense
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 06:20:01 AM »
I moved this to the RPG section, since it seemed very RPGish.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 11:18:50 AM »
Actually it's a good start. The problem with doing a game system on a BB is it's out there to get stolen by anyone.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 01:07:47 PM »
The difficulty with a project like that is that everybody might be envisioning a completely different thing.  Somebody might be seeing a fantasy game, others a superhero game, and others a universal system.  With everybody throwing their own ideas in willy-nilly, it will amount only to some unwieldy monstrosity with lots of rules, but no direction.  If you'd like to give us some guidelines (genre, simplicity, setting) it might be more workable.  What is it that you want this game to be able to do?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2003, 01:12:53 PM »
We could link this in with the historical RPG idea.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Brian

• Level 10
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2003, 01:31:32 PM »
Actually it's a good start. The problem with doing a game system on a BB is it's out there to get stolen by anyone.

Well its just for fun. I'm not really talking about coming up with a publish-quality RPG.. actually I'm just looking for something creative to do on the board when I'm done posting in the Alternate Realities.

The difficulty with a project like that is that everybody might be envisioning a completely different thing.  Somebody might be seeing a fantasy game, others a superhero game, and others a universal system.  With everybody throwing their own ideas in willy-nilly, it will amount only to some unwieldy monstrosity with lots of rules, but no direction.  If you'd like to give us some guidelines (genre, simplicity, setting) it might be more workable.  What is it that you want this game to be able to do?

See above. I don't think it matters how crazy or unorganized this thing gets. About the only use I mean for it to have is to inspire people who are already working on other RPG projects, like the Mad Scientist RPG or the Historical RPG.

Of course, if you guys wanted to do something a little bit more practical, thats an option too. The historical game might be a good one to start with.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2003, 04:19:38 PM »
it will amount only to some unwieldy monstrosity with lots of rules, but no direction.

So we're re-creating AD&D 1st Ed?

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2003, 09:02:58 PM »
More like Rolemaster.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2003, 07:47:26 AM »
Nah already dont like the stat system... those stats have been done to death. What exactly does dexterity mean? how do you measure it? Why do you need a charisma stat? cant your player just roleplay? Is physical just raw strength and endurence? or is it something more? Plus everyone has the same stats. Lets try something different if were going to design a game.

Maybe new stats representing new things.
Power
Physical Fitness
Coordination
Mental Flexibility
Memory
ID
EGO
SUPEREGO
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 07:48:08 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 09:03:10 AM »
Jeffe, I don't see that most of those stats represent creative new things. And it seems to me that the whole Id/Ego/Superego represents things that should be role played more than "charisma" does (which represents leadership, force of personality, salesmanship, etc).

Oh, and Dexterity = speed/coordination. How do you not know that?

I also don't see why stats have to be new. As long as they're created or derived in a way that makes sense and that works directly for the system, then it seems to me have a familiar set of abilities is an advantage: new players don't have to study a book to learn what they do. Abilities are so fundamental to a person that they should be familiar.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2003, 10:14:01 AM »
Hey it was six o'clock in the morning and I was tired ok...

Perhaps we should go for Dada the RPG...
Your stats can be anything...
like a pencil or a Fur Covered Urinal.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!