Author Topic: Heroes Unlimited  (Read 1509 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Heroes Unlimited
« on: June 27, 2003, 01:01:56 PM »
While I mostly agree with Fell's article there are a couple things I would like to mention.

First, I have never thought of D20 as a tight system, at least not the way I play it. Also, the snooty artist part of me is screaming that you have become a low-class hick for not caring about art quality.

A second, I guess what annoys me the most about Heroes Unlimited is their setting. It just seem dumb to me, and it wasn't that interesting of a world concept. I would rather that those pages be spent on more stuff for the classes, or more super-abilities, or more cool equipment instead giing me this lame "by the supliment" talk.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Heroes Unlimited
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 01:10:03 PM »
I suppose I agree with you on the setting issue--the setting description is so weak that I didn't even consider it an official setting description, but I have to admit that it is in there. It's stupid, however, and easy to ignore, and I really don't think the game needs a setting. Anyone who's ever read a comicbook knows what the setting is like already--there are good guys and there are bad guys, and that's all you need to know.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Heroes Unlimited
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 11:28:16 AM »
Superhero game settings are frequently underdeveloped. Partially because they're trying to recreate a setting that has several advantages or disadvantages: First, that it's been 80 years in development. Second, that the setting is the amalgamation of several settings that weren't originally made with the though of fusing with another (Sandman and Capt. Marvel being put into the DCU for example). And I'll stop there. I think again it comes down to whether you like Palladium or not.

But yeah, I like owning books. Because books are both pretty and contain information. So yeah, it's nice to have the info (but Palladium is sometimes bad about communicating even that), but it's better to have both info and art. Which is why I'll always like WotC books better than Palladium.