Author Topic: Jobs and stuff  (Read 53938 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs and stuff
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2008, 10:42:26 PM »
Heh, I started saying something specific about InDesign, and the interviewer (HR person) said, "I don't know anything about it. I'll just assume you know what you're talking about" or something like that.

I'm waiting to hear about a step 2 interview, but if I don't hear toward the beginning of this week... Sigh.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2008, 11:44:04 PM »
That's comforting.  I guess his or her job was just to make sure you didn't breathe heavy on the phone or sound like a complete moron.  You have been pre-screened.  I would give it till the end of the week.  They have to go through the applicants that remain and decide who gets a new interview, and that could take some extra time because of the holiday break. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
If it helps, I had a phone interview Nov. 17 and they're not scheduling their next interviews until the week of Dec. 8, and aren't hiring the person till mid-January, so sometimes it takes awhile. I'm disappointed though that I didn't hear back from another phone interview I had last week. The interviewer said he would contact me on Monday (two days ago) to let me know whether I got another interview (i.e. he'd call either way) and I haven't heard back. I don't have a number for him (and he was contracted in to do the pre-interviews, so he probably doesn't work at their office), so I don't know how to contact him other than email. I emailed him yesterday morning and still no response. I guess that's a bad sign, but it bugs me when someone says they'll contact you and then doesn't. Urg.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2008, 04:33:37 AM »
Good luck to both of ya. The job market is so bad that I'm just giving up until mid-Jan. A lot of companies are under hiring freezes right now, including Penguin. So... yeah. I'm just focusing on my writing right now and, well, trying to prepare myself for family stuff (i.e. helping them pack and clean and try to find a house) when I visit for the holidays.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2008, 04:40:41 AM »
It's not just hiring freezes. Yesterday has been dubbed "Black Wednesday" by several people in publishing, and some major names left several major houses. A good three or four places had not only hiring freezes, but layoffs. I combined all the news reports I've been seeing in one place on my blog.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2008, 05:34:30 AM »
hmm.... I might be getting a real job offer next week.... *crosses fingers*

My current boss is trying to push things through the bureaucratic nightmare of red tape that is the federal hiring authority....
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Madjius

« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2009, 03:57:24 AM »
I tore my soul to pieces in the Truck-Factroy, straight from school. Now I'm getting fired and need to find another job.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2009, 05:57:21 AM »
Well, I am no longer looking for a job. As of May 1st (or earlier if I can get out there before then) I'll be Brandon's assistant and extra brain. This is going to be interesting.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2009, 06:07:47 AM »
That's awesome Ook. :]  Congratz.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2009, 05:44:04 AM »
You know, this forum lets you change your displayed name, which you can do instead of deleting your account and creating a new one.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2009, 03:53:32 PM »
Well, I am no longer looking for a job. As of May 1st (or earlier if I can get out there before then) I'll be Brandon's assistant and extra brain. This is going to be interesting.

This makes sense with everything coming up that Brandon needs to do. I can see it now:

Brandon: Yeeeeeaaaaahh, Peter I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday, yeeeaaaahhhh.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »
With Ookla's influence will Brandon's characters start looking out of the page with exaggeratedly large mouths when they yell?  At (@) symbols for eyes when they are daunted?
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2009, 06:25:52 PM »
There will be up to 50% more character art on every page.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2009, 07:53:49 PM »
books could use more interior art. do it do it.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2009, 05:27:49 PM »
Congratulations, Ookla!

What this actually will mean is maddeningly cryptic hints throughout the actual books, not just on the forum ahead of time.
He ate my horse.