Author Topic: Jobs and stuff  (Read 53937 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Jobs and stuff
« on: June 08, 2006, 09:07:33 AM »
Here's your job thread.  Knock yourselves out.

Some rules:

No spamming with random crap, keep discussions to the listed jobs or finding one.

Make the listings informative, things that should be listed are:
Contact info (even if it's "Send me a PM!")
What the job is
Where it is
Company Name

None of this "hey my company is hiring, contact me!"

Jobs can be free-lance, full-time, part-time, from your company or even just something you want to pay for or what ever as long as there's an exchange of goods for services.

You can make requested by asking if anyone is hiring, but if you asked two days ago and no one replied don't ask again until a few weeks have passed.  I don't want a thread that's three pages of "Someone give me a job!"

Also note, me or another forum admin has the right to come and change our rules of this thread at any time.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Jobs and stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 01:50:23 PM »
Here's a link to the Wizards job page, if anyone is interested in applying for a job as a Event Logistics Coordinator or a Operations Manager. The Event Logistics Coordinator would be involved with things like organized play events like Magic tournaments, as far as I know.

http://www.wizards.com/jobs/welcome.htm
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 03:10:59 PM »
Right now they're hiring a Perms Assistant who'd work with me here at Allyn & Bacon. While I doubt that anyone's up for a move to Boston, I'll just post it here anyway.

You'd be in a great environment with the option of working summer hours (leaving at 12 on Fridays). Includes paid holidays and sick time right off the bat. A very nice manager, Bob Tonner, who is easy to work with. This is a Term of Project job, so it's not like you have to make a long-term deal. This is a great springboard job with full insurance (medial, dental, vision) benefits available. See the job description if this sounds interesting to you. Good luck!

Permissions Assistant- Term of Project
Posted: May 24, 2006
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include categorizing permission requests for the use of A&B copyrighted text; researching the copyright status of the material; granting or denying permission for those requests, using standardized licenses; granting or denying permission online; making payments for permission fees charged by other publishers, using standardized check requisitions; maintaining various databases that support the preceding activities; recording payments made to the company; producing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports on permission activities; assisting other members of the department as needed.
Required Experience:
The application deadline for this position is 6/24/2006
Direct Application To:
Please visit our website and apply directly online to www.pearsoned.com/careers
Email: [email protected]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 03:20:59 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 03:17:25 PM »
Well I just applied for the Operations Manager at Wizards. I'm *almost* completely qualified, so that's pretty good, right?

I don't imagine you're anywhere near those people, Stacer, but if you are, put in a good word, eh?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 06:01:57 PM »
The Coast Guard is always hiring 1-800-get-USCG.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 06:03:27 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 06:12:22 PM »
Tage, I'm nowhere near the people who will interview you, but I can put in a good word for you to the person who handles the apps in HR. I completely forgot that I knew you--is your bachelor's in engineering? I thought it was computer something... computer engineering?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »
TOKYOPOP is hiring. http://www.tokyopop.com/aboutus/jobs.php

Graphic Designer, Layout Artist, and various internships. All in Los Angeles.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 01:05:49 AM »
I don't suppose any of you could tell me if there is a free, online resume builder. The resume I have is -  basically - useless right now. I need to start from scratch, but I need TWO totally separate resumes, one to apply for customer service/tech support jobs and one to apply for nursing jobs.  (Not going to put all my eggs in one basket this time around...)
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 08:58:39 AM »
The best way to build a resume is to look at a lot of resumes. Failing that, MOnster has a fairly decent one as far as what information to include. LDS Employment Services will also talk to you about this, if there's an office nearby (I believe you need to get a referral from your bishop first though).

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 01:02:14 PM »
I thought it was computer something... computer engineering?

It was, in fact, computer engineering, a close cousin of electrical engineering.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 01:14:11 PM »
Posted by: fuzzyoctopus Posted on: Jun 8th, 2006, 10:05pm
I don't suppose any of you could tell me if there is a free, online resume builder. The resume I have is -  basically - useless right now. I need to start from scratch, but I need TWO totally separate resumes, one to apply for customer service/tech support jobs and one to apply for nursing jobs.  (Not going to put all my eggs in one basket this time around...)

Posted by: SatanEhlers Posted on: Today at 5:58am
The best way to build a resume is to look at a lot of resumes. Failing that, MOnster has a fairly decent one as far as what information to include. LDS Employment Services will also talk to you about this, if there's an office nearby (I believe you need to get a referral from your bishop first though).  

I agree with SatanEhlers and would also had that you should have several friends and family members review your resumes. Everyone's input counts for something on a resume because you don't know who you will be hiring. For a more professional resume (like nursing), see if you can have someone within the field review your resume for you.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 06:10:54 PM »
There is a posting on the Church's employment Web site for an editor. I would apply, but I don't think I have enough experience. But I thought maybe someone here would so . . .

Here is the link.

And here is the info:

Position Type: Full time

Starting Salary:

Depending on experience

Work Hours: 7:45 am to 4:30 pm M-F

Position Summary: SENIOR EDITOR (Ensign Magazine) - Incumbent is an editorial team member providing a high level of experience to edit, rewrite, and proofread magazines published by the Church. Will work as a general writer and senior editor.

Minimum Requirements:
BS degree in journalism or English and at least six years experience in professional editing, writing, or rewriting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Copy editing and proofreading ability.
Maturity in mind; good judgment.
Drive, dedication, and self-discipline.
Satisfactory background in Church doctrine and policy.
Creativity and imagination in work and ideas.
Ability to work well with people and present an image of professionalism for Church magazines.
Internet knowledge and ability.
Photography skills very helpful, but not required.

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 02:29:41 PM »
I'm hiring, but the pay sucks.  And you have to be an instructional design grad student at USU.  

But if you meet those qualifications, give me a ring.  :)
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 01:17:43 PM »
Closed
My company, Unicity, is looking for a full time Graphic Designer:
Skills:
•      3-4 years experience in graphic design or equivalent
•      Bachelo's degree or equivalent in Design, Art or equivalent
•      Intermediate computer skills
•      Software required: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
•      Thorough knowledge of file outputting for pre-press
•      Good communication skills.
•      Strong organizational skills.

Jobs:
•      Create and design various promotional materials such as brochures, pamphlets, magazines, catalogs, etc for print and web
•      Assist in developing, maintaining the company’s corporate brand
•      Design, layout, and format materials to communicate marketing objective
•      Perform formatting details such as typographic, photographic, and graphic elements before press
•      Establish design template for labels and other frequently used graphic materials
•      Make ongoing revisions to marketing materials
•      Develop cost estimates and timelines for projects
•      Provide production/graphic design support

Not sure on pay, but if anyone is intrested I'm sure I can find a rough idea of what that would be.

edit My boss said if you have 42-like qualifications (ie 42, as in Jeff) he'd "make it worth your while" to apply, though I don't know how much that is a year.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 01:07:19 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 12:17:57 AM »
And you probably have to live in Utah Valley, huh? Or I'd send J.T. over.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan