Author Topic: Introduce yourself - right on!  (Read 189362 times)

Salkara

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself - right on!
« Reply #315 on: September 10, 2010, 12:26:23 AM »
Hi, my name is Tristan. I'm turning 26 in a few days, and currently studying for the third of four sections for my CPA exam. Well, not studying right now. You see, there was this enormous, thousand page book that just came out, and I felt the need to post about it. Pretty sure that I found this board because the author posts here or something like that.

I've been a pretty big fan of the fantasy and science fiction since middle school. David Eddings's Elenium was the first series that I got wrapped up in, and it's been a tale of heavy addiction since. Sometime in the middle of high school I was introduced to the Wheel of Time by some of my friends, and that in turn led to my first online board. College expanded the scope of my reading a bit, but fantasy still held the fondest place in my heart. When Knife of Dreams came out, I didn't go to class for a full week. After Jordan passed away and Brandon was announced as the man who would finish the series, I picked up the Mistborn series to see how well the Wheel of Time would be completed. I was blown away. Since then I have read through all his published works, all released annotations, and most of the deleted scenes on his site.

Aside from a voracious appetite when it comes to books, I enjoy video games (although I have to limit myself or I get addicted; four years playing World of Warcraft showed me that), brewing, and running.

Liralyn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 10, 2010, 01:45:42 AM »
Hi, I'm Liz.  I've been a stay-at-home mom for three years but am about to start teaching high school math.

I went to BYU, where I actually studied and didn't spend a lot of time reading new authors.  We recently moved to Arizona, where I was suddenly inundated with free time.  I read the entire Schlock archives in one week, started listening to writing excuses, and have now read Brandon's and Dan's books.  They're now my favorite authors...and I can't tell you how much that kills me.

If only I'd seen the light a year earlier...I might have actually met these guys at LTUE and book signings.  Ah, well, life can be cruel.

I mostly write YA fantasy, and I've been working harder to polish some things up so that I can actually get published. 

AzWingsFan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 10, 2010, 08:16:16 AM »
Im John. 24, and married as of Nov 2009.

As far as fiction goes Im a big Fantasy fan... WOT, Sanderson, Farland, Martin, Tolkien, etc...

Im an avid Detroit RedWings Fan in Phoenix, and am glad to have finally joined where 2 of my favorite authors reside...

Winterdawn Lor'ee

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 24, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »
Hello all, I'm Winter and I'm new here.  I live in Utah and I will probably end up posting the most in the Brandon Sanderson forum, since that's the reason I'm here.  I've been reading since before kidnergarten, and fantasy for almost as long.  My very favorite book is a toss up between Warbreaker and The Way of Kings.
~ Winterdawn Lor'ee ~
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Albert Einstein

sahilh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 07, 2010, 04:42:34 AM »
Hi, my name is Sahil. I'm turning 26 in a few days, and currently studying for the third of four sections for my CPA exam. Well, not studying right now. You see, there was this enormous, thousand page book that just came out, and I felt the need to post about it. Pretty sure that I found this board because the author posts here or something like that.

I've been a pretty big fan of the fantasy and science fiction since middle school. David Eddings's Elenium was the first series that I got wrapped up in, and it's been a tale of heavy addiction since. Sometime in the middle of high school I was introduced to the Wheel of Time by some of my friends, and that in turn led to my first online board. College expanded the scope of my reading a bit, but fantasy still held the fondest place in my heart. When Knife of Dreams came out, I didn't go to class for a full week.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:31:47 AM by Nessa »

joel96

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 16, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »
Hello then, everyone. I'm a virtual modeling and design student at the University of Advancing Technology Online. I am new to the works of the authors on this site, but I have a familiarity with the concepts presented in them. I was referred to this site by a mention on TVTropes regarding the Wheel of Time series continued by Brandon Sanderson. I have studied the concept of the multiverse as it pertains to story setting for a couple of years, so the "worlds that might be" naturally appealed to me. I am planning on using the multiverse idea in a short film for my final project, using a modified version I call the porous multiverse. I would love to talk with Brandon and the other authors on this site about how the multiverse affects plot and setting and how it can change the way characters develop. I look forward to getting to know the members of this site and their works better! :)

junestormcrow

• Level 1
  • It's revolution baby!
    • View Profile
    • House of Harnoeth
« Reply #321 on: December 17, 2010, 03:39:24 PM »
Hi. I'm a writer and homeeducator from Baltimore. Like to play guitar and sing too. I'm here because of Mr. Sanderson and Mr Wells. I've finished the rough draft of a fantasy novel and a more literary one, and have a YA witchy sort of book I need to get fixed after the first of the year. I should have been here a long time ago, but forums are one of those things I worry can become obsession for me, so kept putting it off. I'm in the process of submitting a few poems and stories to magazines. Non-writing interests include Nintendo, wrestling, and reading(though it's rather the yin to writing's yang, isn't it?).

Favorite authors are Tolkien, Lewis, Sanderson, Jordan, Eddings, Palahnuk, Faulkner and Plath. The book I've probably read the most times in my life? The Westing Game. My favorite book? Um, well, um, if forced to make a decision, I'd say Alice in Wonderland. Of the modern age? It's a toss up between Mistborn and The Eye of the World. I suck at first person shooters, but I will impress if allowed to show off with Super Mario Bros.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:35:59 PM by junestormcrow »
“Everyone is dying. Of course, in Pishtar, this is the way of the world.” Salvatar, Ctharu general.

http://www.twitter.com/junestormcrow
http://houseofharnoeth.blogspot.com

Ottilie

• Level 1
  • Pillages Villages
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 17, 2010, 09:03:06 PM »
Hello! ;D

My name is Chloe Unrau; I'm a crazy person from Burnaby B.C. Canada. I'm 25 years old, currently unemployed, and my only passion is writing (if that's not a recipe for poverty then I don't know what is :P ). I have about ten years of experience writing original short stories and collaborative science-fan-fiction, and I'm currently working on my first novel. I have never written anything this long before, and it is a very fun challenge as I figure out my style; the style I use for short stories doesn't work :D

My favourite authors are Jack McDevitt, Brandon Sanderson, Philip Pullman, Jacqueline Carey, Patrick Rothfuss, and Ian Irvine (among others). I find when I read any book, I internally change things; setting and dialogue mostly; and frequently wince as I think about how I would change the story, the characters, etc. So I decided to write the story I wanted to read, make the characters I wanted to watch grow, and make a world that I could believe in and be excited about. Whether or not I get published, writing is my biggest passion and it's so much fun... eventually getting published and becoming a career author would be my dream come true.

I look forward to interacting with other writers on this forum and I hope to learn a lot!

Chloe
- Chloe Unrau

randomaximus

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 18, 2010, 09:57:25 AM »
My name is Randall Henderson, I am a real estate investor with a degree in Mathematics from Brigham Young University.  I am here because I wanted to try my hand for the first time at creative writing thanks to Brandon Sanderson's facebook page.  Big fan of his, as well as Patrick Rothfuss, RJ's first 5 books of Wheel of Time, and Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.  I read much business, investing, and motivational lit as well.

I love skiing, the UFC, Xbox (Gears of War, Call of Duty mostly, with Magic: the Nerdening, uh Gathering sprinkled in), P90X, movies (Godfather 2 and Gladiator at the top of list), traveling, and real estate.

I have a great family, an Armenian wife Carine, and 2 beautiful daughters Ava (5) and Alina (6 months). I'm 33. 

Nice to be here.

CBMoore71

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 18, 2010, 08:09:45 PM »
I'm Brad Moore, I live in Saint Louis in a house full of books. Which may explain why I'm the only one there. I grew up in Virginia in a curious little enclave of the Old South.

I'm currently trying to decide what to do with the creative side of my life since construction has abandoned me (in a paying way).

My favorite authors are CS Lewis and Tolkien, with Robert Jordan being a half-step behind and Sanderson becoming a contender. Tom Clancy was a favorite growing up, but hasn't published anything for a really long time.

I came here after attending a book-signing where some great folks introduced me to Writing Excuses, after spending the evening with a group that beat EUOL at Magic, I started listening to them and getting the urge to rekindle some dreams about writing that have lain dormant for a while.

sceneTK421

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2010, 07:02:35 AM »
Hello, I'm Sean. I have been writing for a long time (with no formal training really). Shorts, screenplays, and unfinished novels most recently. I am also a filmmaker and photographer, currently living in Southern California, and I look forward to connecting with other writers here.

A few of my favorite authors are Robert Jordan, Mark Twain, Ray Bradbury, Shel Silverstein, William Goldman, Charlie Kaufman, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Jean Shepard, Steve Martin... wow this could go on for while, just know I left out some huge influences.

Some of my favorite films include, The Big Lebowski, The Princess Bride, Monster Squad, Toy Story, Ratatouille, Finding Nemo, Star Trek (JJ to the A), Black Swan (saw it last night and it is still with me), Inception, Magnolia, The Red Violin, The Bicycle Thief, City of God, Rope, Inglorious Basterds, Made, Ed Wood, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Jerk... and this list is even longer than the writer's one, and again just know, a lot of great influences are left right out.

I am a big Disney nerd. Especially Disneyland, old live-action feature films, feature length animations and the old cartoons. I am a film buff (out of the game for the last few years though due to something that would take a long time to explain). I draw and paint and make maps, and just create whenever, however, and wherever I can.

All in all my taste is very eclectic.

I am currently reading George R R Martin's A Clash of Kings and love it.

lewaah

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Writing The Egg
« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Hello all.  Sam here.  I live in the Atlanta area and am 41 years old.  I just bought a slew of Sanderson books from B&N with a pair of Christmas gift cards so I'm getting ready for a lot of good reading.  The few names that I can drop are that I met Brandon and Dan at the Decatur Book Festival in September when they were in town for DragonCon.  Dan said nice things to me about my blog because I quoted one of his blog posts on mine.

My favorite authors are Brandon, Dan, Robert Jordan, Pat Rothfuss, John Scalzi, Tobias Buckell, Scott Lynch, Eoin Colfer, and Stephen Donaldson, among others.  I've been pursuing writing as a hobby the last two or three years but am hoping to get more serious about it in 2011 and see if I can finish something that comes out at more than 50-55K words.  I'm the perfect NaNoWriMo author, but useless (so far) for anything longer than that.

I have been listening to Writing Excuses from the beginning and finally was inspired to come post a writing prompt.  I have posted a dialog exercise response on the writing prompt thread, and will try to check in with more prompts if they catch my fancy.  Looking forward to it.  Nice to meet you!

old aggie

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 14, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »
"old aggie" saying Hello (no, that's not my real name...)

Long-time fan of scifi/fantasy including LoR, CS Lewis, B5, Scalzi, Jon & Lobo, et al.

By trade, I'm an E-Learning Manager, which means that my writing is considered "not boring" by only a few people.

Located near Cleveland - bad weather, but the best orchestra on the planet, which IMO is a good trade-off.

Started following Brandon after picking up Mistborn 1 at the library. Kind of wish he wasn't doing WoT so we could have more of hiw own stuff, but it's all good.

I don't always find that guessing what will happen increases my enjoyment of a book, so usually I avoid that by reading fast. But with the huge gap between these SA books - well, one has to keep one's mind busy...

Rem

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2011, 12:02:10 AM »
I'm not fond of my own introductions, so I'll keep it brief. Student in university studying pharmacology, finished reading the Mistborn trilogy and was thoroughly impressed.

I'm also a bit of a aspiring writer, though reality seems to be crushing me beneath it's unbelievable weight. A far-off dream, but better to have one, yeah?

Really just here to go through some notes as I indulge in writing Mistborn fanfic - for myself, really, to sate my interest in the universe.

scientificker

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 13, 2011, 06:33:12 AM »
My name is John.  I have degrees from Harding University and UALR. My education includes a BS in Chemistry, M.Ed. in Secondary Biology Education, and MA in Chemistry. I currently teach high school chemistry.  I often work in the summers for one of my former professors doing things such as radio-tracking snakes for ecological studies.  I have been published in Toxicology Letters and Herpetological Review.  However, I do not consider myself a writer.  I may one day become one, but only if I get around to ending my membership in Procrastinate Now.  For now I am a nitpicker and have, at times, put that to constructive use as one of several proofreaders for GURPS books authored by one of my friends.

My preferred method of relaxation is reading. I prefer really well-written science fiction.  Sadly, such science fiction is rather hard to find. For me, even a well-written novel is easily ruined when the author describes a person with a hole in their chest a meter wide, an asteroid with a core temperature of -475 Celsius, or a space craft 250,000 km long that is hiding behind a moon. Such mistakes seriously irk me due to my aforementioned nitpicking tendencies. As a result I actually read far more fantasy than I do science fiction.

Some of my favorite authors are Robert Heinlein, Charles Sheffield, David Weber, L.E. Modesitt Jr., Larry Niven (especially when teamed with Jerry Pournelle), Orson Scott Card, Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, Terry Goodkind, Piers Anthony, J.K. Rowling, Peter David, Robin Cook, Tom Clancy, and Michael Crichton. 
Some people are just ignorant; others revel in it. - RHG