Author Topic: Introduce yourself - right on!  (Read 189262 times)

Pilpil

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself - right on!
« Reply #270 on: May 18, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »
Hello everybody!
My name is Ana, 24 year old. I'm Spanish (I wonder if there are any other people from my country around here), so don't hesitate to correct me if I make any mistake writing in English.

I'm studying architecture (almost finished! I promise! :D), I like reading, Japanese animation and manga... and WWW, I love being able to communicate with people all around the world, internet is the best ever!

I discovered Mistborn some months ago (I use to agree with NOVA's publisher, Miquel Barceló, when he talks about a book he likes... and he was talking wonders about Brandon Sanderson not being the typical fantasy writer, so I bought the book) and I loved it!

Then I jumped to Elantris, which was previously edited by the same publisher and I found its characters as alive as Mistborn ones, and the plot being as enjoyable as the other series but at the same time being completely different. I laughed, cried and enjoyed myself like crazy, which is what I want from a book, so now Brandon Sanderson is one of my top favourite writers along with Bujold.

Forgive me if the comparison is not welcome, I say it for the best: Sanderson and Bujold both have an incredible ability of writting about complex political intrigues while they present strong and believable characters. I feel they are part of a new wave of fantasy (/SF) authors with a different approach to the subject, and hope we can read more like this in the future. Not so "good vs evil+initiating journey" for a change, eh?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:53:40 PM by Pilpil »

Texcap

• Level 1
  • "Dyed in the wool..."
    • View Profile
    • Follow That Raven
« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
By way of introductions, "howdy."

My name is K. D. McCallister and I live in Fort Worth, TX, the whereabouts I've lived for most of my God fearing life with the exception of my mission to the Pacific Northwest (where it rained on me an awful lot) and a brief stay in Rexburg, ID as a student at RICKS (where no Texan has any right to be given the freezing 20 below temps).   

I currently work in the Science and Research field, while pursuing a History degree in the hours between work.  I just moved into my first home and am engaged to be married by the end of the year if we can get the preparations taken care of by then.  When I'm not at work, studying, moving or working on wedding plans I love to read, play a video game or two, watch/play sports (need some racquetball time!) and spend time with family, friends and my 2 Corgi's.

I hate to admit it but I'm fairly new to Brandon Sanderson's work, though Elantris should be mine by week's end and I've just recently started on Warbreaker (which is going to be a fun ride, I can tell).  We all have to start somewhere, I suppose, and I can't wait to see where Sanderson's books take me.  I'm sure I'll have more than a few things to talk about as I devour these and begin the Mistborn trilogy.

Anyhow, look forward to meeting you folks and thanks for having me.
Fortiter -- Per Mare Per Terras!

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 04, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »
I guess I should probably get around to doing this...

My real first name is Kristina.  I am a quarter century old this month.  I am married (going on three years!) but no kids yet.  I graduated from Harding University with a Bachelor's in Music- Vocal.  I teach a few private lessons on the side.

My current interests are: paying the bills (something which gets increasingly difficult), and working on several stories.  Up to now, I've mostly posted in the RE forum, but occasionally in Everything Else and Books as well. 

I found this site after finding the Writing Excuses Podcast- specifically a mention of the Reading Excuses writing group here, and several Google searches.  I haven't found a good writing group in my area, and I knew I needed some good feedback on what I've been writing if I hope to improve.  Which I do. :)  And I have!- gotten good feedback, that is.

I don't do RPGs, and I rarely play anything other than simple computer games and (recently) WOW.  I haven't read anything by Brandon S. other than Warbreaker (please don't hate me- I can't afford new books right now, and Warbreaker was available online).  I really liked it, though!  I quit Wheel of Time after book 2- there's only so much epic, angsty, hurry-up-to-the-final-not-so-final-battle plot I can handle, and I very quickly burned out, there.

I work hard when I'm at work.  At home, I'm incredibly lazy.  It seems that impressing other people is my main motivation when it comes to cleaning! ::)
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

KChan

• Level 2
  • Eep.
    • View Profile
    • K-chan's DA
« Reply #273 on: June 07, 2009, 07:54:36 PM »
My name is Kerry, and I found this forum through Brandon Sanderson's website. I'm a huge fan of fantasy, manga, tokusatsu, and anything having to do with language and foreign cultures. I'm also an aspiring author, but currently work is getting in the way of that.

I graduated from St. Petersburg College with an Associate of Arts degree and am currently working full-time as a preschool teacher and a martial arts instructor. I plan on transferring to the University of Florida soon to pursue a Bachelor's in Linguistics and am very much looking forward to going back to school. In my free time I work on worldbuilding for my future stories, cosplay, and participate in a few form RolePlays. It's nice to meet you all!

Mistborn: The Inquisition RPG

Graphic used with permission.

chaosmodifier

• Level 1
  • Building an Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2009, 08:15:19 PM »
My name is Richard. In West Valley City I was born and raised, in the library I spent most of my days. And yes I am usually as silly as that last sentence makes it seem. I'm 25, and slowly going to school at the local community college, hopefully trying to get a degree in computer science and/or graphic design.

I love reading and listening to music. My hobbies doing crafts for costuming and just for fun, I also play a lot of RPG's (DnD, WoD, BESM, etc.) My current obsession is the steampunk genre, and am working toward a costume for AnimeBanzai '09.
When life gives you lemons, make chiffon!
My word is only as good as my Bond, James Bond.

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
Hi everyone! I haven't posted anywhere yet because I like to read around and get my bearings a bit before I post and a topic directed me here!

My name is Caitrin and I'm 22 years old living with my Mom in Nevada. I work part-time at Old Navy but I'm looking to get a full-time job. I write sometimes but I need to work on the discipline side of it, I'm much more of an idea's person so it's easy to write a little bit about one idea but my mind jumps to the next before I do anything worthwhile with it. I'm a WIP :P

I found the forums via the Writing Excuses podcast and Brandon's website. I'm currently waiting for Warbreaker to arrive in my mailbox :D I tend to read mostly fantasy with single authors sometimes being the exception (like James Patterson or Tom Clancy, etc) while I tend to watch mostly sci-fi (my favorite show is Battlestar Galactica <3).

I belong to a couple internet forums based on various books (such as tarvalon.net / Wheel of Time) and am saving up to attend DragonCon for the second time! I'm so excited!

I love music and tend to listen to everything. I also usually like anything I see, I need to work on that critic side of myself I suppose :P

Anyways, it's nice meeting everyone! Hopefully I'll see you around ;D
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 19, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
My name is Jordan Marble.

I live in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and hope to soon leave on a mission. I am a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, In fact he has replaced Robert Jordan as my favorite author.

Yeah, he's awesome.

I have done a Year at BYU, and may go back, but after my mission.

I'm actually starting to write a book which has just about the coolest magic system i can think of. No, it won't possibly be finished in less than five years.

Erm... what else?

I am the King of Squirrels, they are my evil minions and obey my whims when they are not eating babies.

Think that's just about it.

Please commence with the mocking. I enjoy it.  ;D
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

necronos

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 19, 2009, 11:20:56 PM »
Hello, my name is Necronos... would you believe that isn't my real name? Really? Ok, I'm really named Jeremy and I live in Idaho Falls, Idaho. I'm not really from Idaho but rather Ireland. Idaho is just my base of operations as a Superhero.

Unlike some people here, I didn't go to BYU. I can, however, spell it correctly 9 out of 10 times. I'm proud of that.

I don't own a lasergun but I do own a '85 Dodge PowerRam 250. I once ate 3 packets of Domino's pepper packages. I'm one of those guys who hits people with foam covered sticks (a member of Belegarth Medieval Combat Society). I never went to college or univerity but I do have 3 legitimately earned degrees (message me if you really care to know more). I have 3 kids that I hope will become 3 adults that live on their own. I'm married to a woman (I'm a man). I own all the seasons of Seinfeld and I recently upgraded my Cable account so I could watch the 2nd season of Trueblood. I've only played Warhammer 40k once but I own and have read over 40 40k novels (and a bunch of 30k novels). I can see a cherry tree from where I'm sitting.
jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

BigP

• Level 1
  • Intra-provencial Man of Lethargy
    • View Profile
    • Just off the Shelf
« Reply #278 on: June 20, 2009, 02:32:54 AM »
I'm one more wandering in from Brandon's site.  Howdy!

My name's Preston and I'm currently a engineering technician for a local oil production company out here in the deserts of west Texas.  I'm just coming off a 3.5 year binge of playing WoW near daily (I had a great guild, what can I say?) and I'm getting back to my all-time first choice for quality time wasting:  Reading.  I also blog (barely, don't laugh) and might even write a tad with all my new free time (even more barely, don't expect to see it :P ).

I can almost guarantee that I'll be lurking far more than posting, it's a failing of mine.  Aside from that, it's nice to meet y'all!

Cheers!

RickyRich

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 24, 2009, 08:24:20 AM »
Ok, I have been lurking here for a few months now, and decided to finally start posting something.  I decided I should get this out of the way first.

My name is Ricky and I am 30 years old.  I currently live in a small town in Arkansas that barely registers on a map.  I am married with three boys and I do web design work while working retail.  Like so many here I am a writer, but unlike so many here I am currently unsuccessful at actually finishing anything. 

I have been reading sci/fi fantasy since I was quite young, when my uncle gave me Enders Game, The Hobbit, and the first Dragonlance Chronicles book for Christmas.  I like to read other generes as well and count myself as a rather large Stephen King fan.  As of recently I also consider myself a Brandon Sanderson fan.  I am a movie buff and I can kick some serious tail at movie trivia style games.  I haven't done too much D&Ding, (never been around really anyone else that played, IT WAS EVIL (As my mother and others used to say)), I love video games and love being able to share them with my boys now.

I found this site by way of The Wheel Of Time, which I have been reading since I picked up The Dragon Reborn in the new releases section at the library.  That was many, many years ago, and when I found out Brandon or EUOL as he is known here was finishing the series I had to check him out.  Read Elantris, was blown away, checked out his site, found Writing Execuses, Read Mistborn, again blown away and fell in love with Vin, and wound up here.

Like I said I have been lurking for a while.  I just read Blacker Darkness BTW, and thought it was nearly on par with anything by Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett.

Danimari

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2009, 11:33:19 PM »
Delurkifying briefly here...

My name is Danielle, and I got here from Brandon Sanderson's website. I'm from Idaho Falls (not LDS though), but am currently a student at Clemson University in South Carolina. I'm a heavy reader (though not in recent past, as science courses tend to absorb time like nobody's business), and actually started lurking/reading/posting here because of Sanderson's connection to the Wheel of Time, although I'd heard of him before since he's vaguely local.

I don't D&D or WoW. My nerdly interests lie more in science and music.
Wotmaniac lurker.

Jurisprude

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 26, 2009, 07:30:02 PM »
Hey.

Former sci-fi/fantasy-reading-music-nerd in my high school days, now masquerading in the real world as an attorney, husband, and father of 5.  Recently got turned on to the Wheel of Time, plowed through all of the books at a pretty good pace, and learned about B.S. completing the series, then to his website, then to this website, then to free e-copy of Warbreaker which I thoroughly enjoyed.

From Sandy, Utah originally and currently, with stops at Brazil (2-year LDS mission), Provo (BYU undergrad and JD), Cincinnati (M.A., M.B.A.), and Cedar City (working at the Utah Shakespearean Festival [it's the best! go buy tickets!]) in between.

bookWorm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 03, 2009, 06:44:05 AM »
My name is Devin Walton, I am a Sci-fi/ Fantasy fan that has been hanging around for a while and decided that I wanted to comment on here some. I discovered Brandon Sanderson about a year ago, and have proceeded to buy almost all of his books. (I have one more Alcatraz book to get.) I am a student of BYU studying Computer Science. I also enjoy Singing in Choirs and Ballroom Dancing. I am home for the summer in Washington earning a bit of money so that I can head back to school in the Fall.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 13, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »
My name is Daniel Schwartz.  I'm a fan of Sci-Fi and Fantasy.  I found this forum by way of Brandon Sanderson, who I found by way of being a WoT fan (Book ten is the only book that wasn't excellent, and Knife makes up for it >:( ;D).

I live in New Jersey, and while I love to read, things I like to do run more along the Math/Logic/Physics/Philosophy line than the liberal arts.  I'm also in College right now.

As to religion, I'd describe myself as a lapsed Jew.

Eri

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 16, 2009, 06:59:59 PM »
Hi. (Sorry, I've just found this topic. I should have read the FAQ, but I got distracted by Hoid. And other topics here. )

My name is Katarzyna, but friends often call me Eri, which is a nice and short nickname. No, it's not related to my name. It's a shortening of Erina - a nickname I choose after my first RPG character. I gave her a name made from some random string of letters that sounded nice. We didn't even finish that session, but I liked the name anyway.
You can also call me Kate, or some other translation.

I live in Poland (and I am unfortunately the Her... not so fluent in English as I would like to), I'm 26, and married. :-) We both like Brandon Sanderson's books, so my husband will probably register here too, sometime.
I have studied mathematics,... don't know what to add. Hobbies and areas of interest: computer programming, graphics, roleplaying games, reading of course (mostly sf/f). Oh, and I like crocheting, too. :D

I've heard about Brandon Sanderson from a friend, who is waiting for last WoT book (I have stopped following the series some years ago, it got too long for me). I've read Mistborn trilogy and Warbreaker, both are great.

I don't remember how I found this forum, I think my husband showed me.

(PS: in case You want to know - neither LDS nor, of course, BYU. Roman Catholic and Warsaw University.)