Author Topic: Introduce yourself - right on!  (Read 189323 times)

flex

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself - right on!
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2008, 03:39:17 AM »
Hello, my name is Jesse and I also found my way to this site from a WoT link. I am not your typical poster. I am a sales professional who is a power lifter on the side. Outside of my house and the internet I play the part of Joe Cool.  I'm what I like to refer to as a "Closet dork". I was your typical football jock until I stumbled onto the Lord of the Rings trilogy about 7 years ago, and since then I've turned full fledged dork. I've read just about any book I could grab, even tried my hand at gaming, and began to write my own story(not to be published, but for myself). I have twin boys who are 1.5 years old and a wife who finds my new found "dorkness" to be strange to say the least.  I look forward to spending a ton of time on this site and making friends with many of you. Please feel free to send me a message any time as I'm always looking for new friends, ideas and experiences.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

SSJPabs

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 06, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »
Hello, I'm SSJPabs from Minnesota. Though I'm not particularly willing to post my actual name on here I'm sure the curious can google it easily enough.

Anyhow, I just completed my second year of law school in Des Moines and I'm looking for some good volunteer law experience positions this summer. Let's see, as for interests I enjoy playing tennis, disc golf, gaming, watching movies (esp. horror or anything starring Jena Malone), politics and recreational hypnosis. As a long time WOT reader, I came to this site via Brandon Sanderson's links as he is writing the final WoT book but also because I ended up rather liking his Mistborn books.

Hello all.

Vallis

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2008, 05:33:58 PM »
Hi!

My name is Bruce Guernsey, Jr. and I live in Cedar City, Utah.  I am currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in English literature at Southern Utah University.  I plan on teaching English but still deciding whether to teach High School English or at the college level.  This is a big departure from where I started, Pre-med, lol! 

I am a rabid sci-fi/fantasy reader currently reading "The Corean Chronicles" by local Cedar City author L.E. Modessit, Jr.  I have played D&D since I was ten and am currently DMing a local group here.  I never had an interest in CCG's until the AEG produced fantasy CCG "Warlord" (based on 3rd Edition D&D) this naturally led me to dabble in Magic the Gathering (although I have lost my taste for it).  Video games are also a big hobby of mine.  I currently own a PSOne, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Dreamcast, and a 360.

Anyways, looking forward to browsing this site and engaging in some good conversation!
Thanks!
BJ

Obi

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2008, 09:02:33 PM »
Hello, my name is Lindsey, and my last name is exaggeratedly mysterious.  ;)

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and I'm an art student at the University of New Mexico.  Mock me all you want; I got scholarships, so I'm staying.  ;D  I also work as a waitress at Sushi Hama (Candelaria and Eubank), so if you're ever in town, come visit!

I've been reading fantasy since fourth grade when I picked up a copy of Mary Tannen's The Wizard Children of Finn.  Oddly enough, I hated reading before that, silly me.  And I suppose I'm here because I heard EUOL was writing the last book of WoT.   

I also have a pet cat named Palin, who is undeniably adorable.  I'm sure that's relevant somehow.

Hoeya

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2008, 02:48:02 AM »
My name is Justin, and I'm based out of Portland, OR. I suppose it is the closest thing to a home that I have, but having moved around a great deal in my life, I am hesitant to use that word. I'm an aspiring author, and although I don't attend college yet, I have plans to in the fall.

I've only very recently begun my love affair with fantasy novels, and I find that I have been completely entranced by the storytelling and imagery inherent in the genre. I have been a fan of sci-fi novels since the first grade, much to the dismay of my parents and teachers. The last novel, which  in fact I finished last night, was Elantris by Brandon Sanderson.

Elariel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 07, 2008, 09:07:01 PM »
Hi, I'm Emma. I'm attending BYU this fall.  I love fantasy and I really, really enjoyed Brandon Sanderson novels so I figured I might start posting here occasionally instead of just lurking. Nice to meet you all!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2008, 09:18:45 PM »
Which BYU?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Elariel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »
Oh, sorry. Brigham Young University in Provo. Can't wait!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 08, 2008, 12:59:48 AM »
Well ok after skimming this thread (by skimming I mean reading for an hour) I feel almost compelled to say I went to BYU, but I will resist.

My name is Erik I live about 15min south of Boston Ma. in a town know as Braintree. I will make this short because if you see my posts I do a fair amount of dragging things out as it is. I'm single, 23 years old with a beautiful 7 month old daughter named Haiden. I'm in the national guard were I'm a mechanic, I work on cars and I also do security at Reebok headquarters out here in Ma.  In case you didn't notice my name is a reference to the Red Sox left field wall the Green Monster (the MONSTA being a play on our accent)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:53:13 AM by GreenMonsta »
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2008, 10:15:31 PM »
That is a lot of people!

My name is Jason Salomone. I live in Flagstaff, AZ currently but was born in Queens, New York. I graduated with my BA from The University of Arizona. I double Majored in Psychology and Linguistics. I currently manage a rent-a-car location in Sedona, AZ. Not exactly what I want to be doing, but am currently taking time off whiel I study for the GRE. Hoping to figure out what it is that I want.

I consider myself a bit of a Renaissance Geek. Not in the sense that if you looked in my house you would mistake the year for 15XX (though I do know some people who are like that), but in the more original sense of the word. If you could consider it geeky, I probably have done it or still do it at this point. From band, drama, speech, writing, reading, computer building, video gaming, trvia gaming, CCGs, RPGs, tabletopping, etc.

Also thought I should mention that I was directed over to this site from Writing Excuses. never posted over there because I felt like I would have just been talking to talk. When I saw they had a put up a forum for the weekly prompts I figured it would be a good excuse to try and start writing again. Maybe actually improve myself and finish a project I have putting off for a while. But that all made too much sense...
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2008, 11:14:40 PM »
Oh, sorry. Brigham Young University in Provo. Can't wait!
Sweet, I know people that go there.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2008, 03:14:52 AM »
Well, I just found this site tonight while over at Brandon Sanderson's site so I decided to join up.  :)

My names Tim. I was born and raised in Massachusetts, in a small town called Millis, which is about 30 miles southwest of Boston. I'm 23 years old, but feel a lot older.  :D

Spent the last 5 years in the Navy, two month in Chicago, two months in San Antonio, two years in Japan and two years (and some change) in Southern Maryland.

I've been a geek all my life and am quite proud of that fact.  ;D

Dabbled in theater when I was in high school, played lots of Magic: The Gathering and other various games. Been an Everquest II player for about 4 years now.

I currently work for a security company that has me shuffling around to different sites in Mass, which is nice because the hours I work tend to be when no one else is at those sites, so it allows for lots of reading to get done. (My copy of Well of Ascension comes in the mail tomorrow yay!)

Other than that, not much else to me.  ;)

Renkar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2008, 05:02:36 AM »
Hello all,

my name is mike.  I grew up in Omaha, Neb. before moving to Kansas City, MO when i was 10.  Been in KC for the last 22 years, so I guess you could say KC is where I grew up.  I went to University of Missouri-Kansas City for 7 1/2 years for which I received a BA in history, a law degree and way to much student loan debt.  I have been practicing law for the past 6 years, mainly focusing on criminal defense. 
    I have been married for 5 years, no kids, yet.  But we do have two cats (Cleo and Shiva) and a very large black german shepherd named merlin; they do not get along.  The phrase about herding cats being hard is very true, ask Merlin.  anyway, just started to write and am starting to teach criminal justice classes at a local community college with an eye towards going back to school to get a Masters and PHD in history to become a full time professor at some point in the near future.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2008, 02:15:29 AM »
Hey ya’ll,
My name is Ben, and I live in Athens, GA.  I'm currently working to put my wife through school.  (Vet Med)  I discovered this site through Writing Excuses.  Because of them (Brandon, Dan, and Howard), I have re-discovered my passion for writing.  I have no illusions as to how good I might be, but I do have fun and hope to be able to contribute some useful advice.  Plans for the future, when my wife graduates I will return to school and get my MD/PH.D, (to work for the CDC hopefully).  Necroben came from looking at a Brian Lumley novel title, Necroscope.  Translated I think it means Been Dead(?).
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
  • You spilled my egg, I needed that egg. -Spike
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2008, 10:53:55 AM »
My name is Jason Bateman. No, seriously. It is. I'm turning 20 this upcoming weekend, so that's a big moment... I guess?

Currently, I'm living in Seattle, and life has been a little on the rough side for me. I dropped out of High School a few years ago and recently I've tried going to community-college but lacked the motivation to really put in the effort and time. Realizing that college isn't for me, at least in this point of my life, has been a hard thing to come to terms with because it feels as though everyone else I know goes to a college. Or has graduated from one. While I failed history and math with flying colors, my English class was a joy, and I made a few friends that I hope don't fall off the radar because of my recent move (Back to Seattle, the college I attended was in Colorado and that's a long story unto itself).

Not always a fan of reading, the whole thing seemed boring when I had a perfectly fine video-game sitting in front of me while I sat there transfixed on the pixels jumping around the screen, but around a year ago I began finding books that interested me. I reread Lord of the Rings and found it to be much more enjoyable this read through (reading it in sixth grade shouldn't count, I suppose), and I followed a friends advice to get into the Wheel of Time series. Man, have I been missing out or what? From there I've read a few of Mr. Sanderson's works and I'm having a blast just finding all of these stories that I've neglected in my youth. It's also re-sparked my passion for writing, and while I know I'm not good with all of the punctuation laws, I'll even go so far as to admit that I have some grammar issues, I just can't help but think to myself; "What have I been doing up to this point with my life? Why haven't I been doing this from the start?"

It honestly feels as if my purpose has revealed itself, and since that eureka moment I've been working my happy little self endlessly trying to get my first book done (currently 30k... it's been a tough road planning a story that's involved in a completely self-created world. I found out the hard way how hard it is.  ;D). While I'm trying hard not to kid myself that this will be accepted by a publisher, as I write more and more I get more and more excited about my work. Overall it's just a great feeling to have after living nearly three years lost in the wilderness that is Loserville.

That's my long winded bio, and I hope to make friends with all of you. Should be a blast!  ;)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (RIP)