Author Topic: 4 years old and roleplaying already!?  (Read 1591 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
4 years old and roleplaying already!?
« on: June 26, 2004, 08:25:54 AM »
So I was reading this thread on RPG.net http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111330 and really enjoying the discussion. The gist being that a father has decided to get his rather advanced 4 year old to roleplay. There are some hurdles obviously, but the kids reaction and independence is fascinating. The real question is how long untill Saints daughters are gaming ey?

It also sparks some questions, how young is too young for gaming. And how do you deal with concepts that scare young children. When did you start playing? I started at ten with AD&D although the first rpg I owned was MERP.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: 4 years old and roleplaying already!?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 01:07:40 PM »
You know I started playing D&D basic at age 8 with a couple of my brothers. I think the biggest challenge for young players is that you really haven't developed the social skills necessary to avoid some RPG pitfalls. Things like, how to not take things personal that the GM does to the characters or how to play nice with the other players.

From what I've heard, young players do best when they play with older/mature players who work hard to make it fun for everyone.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 02:35:21 PM »
At the same time they can be taught early to avoid bad RPGs habit.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 02:42:56 PM »
I'd say the best way to avoid the "scary" stuff is not to include it till they're ready. It's not like you have to include a scary thing in a game.

anyway, as soon as they know how to take turns and can understand. My kids are way too impatient and get upset when the die roll isn't what they want. I'm working on that.