Author Topic: article: The Fun's the Thing  (Read 1228 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
article: The Fun's the Thing
« on: August 04, 2004, 02:24:15 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=801

This was the article I actually meant to write yesterday. I'm just very easily distracted when I go into background, and you get two columns instead of one as a result.

Anyway, isn't it about time we recognize that there are different, equally valid, ways of role playing?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: article: The Fun's the Thing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 04:15:46 PM »
There are tons of different ways to roleplay and all of them are equally valid.

I tend to enjoy being with people and having a great story going myself. Players arent going to do what the GM wants very often because self gratification wins out over story. Its gratifying for a stressed out kid to gun down Orc punks in Shadowrun, or for a gamer to like beating the odds on a pair of knucklebones.  
I will say including music in games and creating a more immersive environment is easier in todays world of endless mp3 playlists and party stores.

I dont know many immersive gamers, most of the folks I know who play look like they came straight from the pages of KODT, I think because immersive gaming is a lot more work than most people want to put in their relaxation time.  Still knowing a little about storytelling helps.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: article: The Fun's the Thing
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 09:47:01 PM »
No! Munchkin's are ruining roleplaying! You MUST play a narrative game or else you're not playing properly! All dice rolling should be  removed, and the player's should know what traps to expect from the beginning so they can come up with more interesting reactions! CONSPIRACY! CONSPIRICY!!
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy