Author Topic: RPG Mixing  (Read 2136 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
RPG Mixing
« on: October 05, 2004, 07:57:04 PM »
OKay so I have an addiction to mixing elements and ideas from various RPG sorces. I personally don't see a problem with pulling stuff from Heroes Unlimited to use in my D&D game or using Urban Arcana to enhance a GURPS campaign. Howwever, when I pitch ideas to my players that involves mixed elements I tend to get a luke-warm to cold response. This happening most recently when I was explaining to Prometheus that I'm planning my next campaign to be a Legend of the Five Realms/Underdark mixture.

So what's so wrong about mixing RPGs anyways?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Mixing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 08:37:24 PM »
So what is this LotFR/Underdark crossover supposed to be like, and when are we going to start it?  I need at least two more sessions with my gunfigher, one to kill Baal which I guess will sorta be like the endgame, and one to just blast stuff and look cool.  lol.  What happened last time anyway?

Yeah, but tell me more about this underdark game.  I've have this barbarian character in mind, so I'm trying to think how he'd fit into an oriental/underdark world.  If not, well I have also wanted to play a character based on Riddick which would mix well with the underdark.

I don't know if I have an additiction for mixing stuff, but I definatily do it all the time.  My campaign had a mix of Coldfire Trilogy novels, Ghostwalk campaign setting, and my own blend of stuff.  There was also some smaller elements based off even more stuff, like the two werewolf lords used Werewolf: tA rules instead of DnD rules, that one alternate world in the rod of security was from Red Steel (an old dnd campaign).  I also threw in baddies from all sorts of campaigns, like Warduke (Greyhawk), Strahd (Ravenloft), etc.  Not to mention I tweaked the pantheon to allow worship of any god you could think of (Norse, Egyptian, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, etc)... in fact, Squeeb was worshiping a Greyhawk deity and Jassinaria was worshiping a Forgotten Realms deity.  That's a pretty hodge-podge setting right there.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 09:45:05 PM »
there's nothing wrong with mixing games, but you can't force someone uninterested in the mix to like it. Some people just don't want to mix.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 10:21:33 PM »
I'm a big fan of this actually, which is why I like simple systems, like Savage Worlds.  They allow me to pull in info from sources and genre mash to my heart's content without worry of breaking the system.

Great fun can be had in this.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 01:27:44 AM »
Some people just don't want to mix.

How can people not like RPG mixers? ;D

And EP, I won't be starting this next campaign until after Christmas, a barbarian could be cool, and there is no way your current character could kill Baal (he's just too weak willed).
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 02:56:19 AM »
Well you said he was CR 27 or something, so obviously our entire group together would be no match.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 05:20:22 PM »
I suspect that some players might dislike RPG mixing because it takes a bit of control away from them. In a tightly defined system they can plan an ultimate character becuse they know what to expect (D&D is especially good at this). Throw in some super powers and they suddenly aren't sure how to respond. This is part of what makes crossovers cool, but it also makes them a little daunting. I'm just guessing here.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 05:56:24 PM »
Yeah, I could see that being a problem.  Talking about the change months before the campaign is even going to start though, should take care of most of that problem.  Sometimes it might also be as simple as not liking both genres being mixed.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 06:26:06 PM »
I think it's more likely that people just prefer to have their flavours individual and seperate. If you are playing Rifts, then people might not want to have WoD Vampires showing up - if they wanted WoD vampires, they would go and play the required game. Etc.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 08:44:59 PM »
It's like those people who have to seperate their M&Ms or Skittles into color groups before eating them. I think there is a psychological term for that.

Anyways, I tend to let my players know how I will be mixing things up before the start of the campaign. I also try to get a lot of it in writing before the game starts. So I kind of make my own little source book of how things are getting revised before i start.

Course, I had many incidents where players have incorporated something into their character that comes a supplementary source with out running it by me first. This is my biggest problem with playing D20 because there are so many suppliments out there. Usually I can just let something pulled from Dragon or new source book be incorporated without any problems. Every once and a while a player incorporates something that is completely incompatible with the campaign and it has to be tossed out. This usually causes some pouting on the part of player.

So I guess mixing should get some kind of approval before it is incorporated.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 08:50:35 PM »
It's like those people who have to seperate their M&Ms or Skittles into color groups before eating them. I think there is a psychological term for that.

I am in awe of your ability to sound like an elitist bastard...

And lines like WoD can have that problem, if the player references books that the GM does not own. 'Certainly Mr GM, all Vampires of clan wiggilypuff have access to this amazing new discipline!'
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 09:26:43 PM »
yeah, I'm a big fan of GM approval. Just have them run it by you. You ARE the ref, after all.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 10:23:53 PM »
I think a lot of players are hesitant to run new stuff by the GM. Mostly because they know it may get shot down.

Course, I think the GM is allowed a few surprises during the course of the campaign. Simple because he's the GM. Personally, I kind of like being surprised as a player, unless it's something that is completely ridiculous.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 10:31:55 PM »
well, true, they may be uncomfortable, but since it's in the interest of a better game, players you can have fun with will get over it.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 06:35:13 PM »
Our group has adopted the policy that nothing is admissable without authorization of GM to maintain game balance.  We, however, discuss what may generally be admissable from the different systems, and, typically, if a reason in game can be developed that justifys the inclusion it will typically be allowed.  In order to maintain "surprises" for the GM, we have adopted the practice of having the players go to a different room, discuss their strategy, write down any steps that require preparation (such as making scrolls, performing rituals, or what have you), returning to the room, telling the GM approximately how much time their characters spent in preparation, hand the GM the paper with the special notes, which will be opened when the players say to.  This allows for GM surprises, and allows all aspects desired to be brought in.
Boogie woogie woogie!!