Author Topic: Happy Things 2008:Generation X [part deux]  (Read 75965 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Things 2006:Generation X [part deux]
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2007, 07:08:09 AM »
It's Karen's birthday! She says this is the most important thing in the world right now.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2007, 06:00:51 AM »
I'm happy that my cousin is expecting twins.

This makes me happy because the chances of me having children that are twins have now been greatly reduced (unless I decides to have kids with someone who is a fraternal twin).

I'm also happy, or at least amused, that my parents are so upset about this new development. My parents have a little competition going with my uncle to see who has the most grandchildren. My parents were going to catch up this fall with 13. However, since my cousin is expecting twins, my uncle now pulls into the lead with 14. Considering my uncle only has 3 kids, and my parents have 8, I find the whole situation absurd.

Also, I'm happy that I'm not contributing to my parent's little competition.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2007, 05:13:05 AM »
If you're not contributing then your part of the problem!!!

The more interesting point is it is our cousin's fifth and sixth children. 42 and I are twins that are the fifth and sixth children for our parents. Note to self, stop at four.

A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2007, 05:52:23 PM »
Actually the likelihood of a couple having twins increases after having a couple of previous pregnancies. Around the fourth or fifth pregnancy is the most likely time to end up getting twins. Course, you have to have a family history of twins first. If you are playing around with fertility treatments, anything can happen.

Other fun facts, around 0.3% of the U.S. population come from multiple births (twins. triplets, quadruplets, etc.) which has been increasing in recent years thanks to fertility clinics. However, most of these people are fraternal twins (or as I like to call them--fake twins). Only 0.07% of the population are identical twins (real twins) which has remained constant throughout U.S. history.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 03:29:47 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2007, 04:20:15 AM »
My good news today is threefold.  Number one, I had my meeting with an editor at HarperCollins, and she liked my chapter and wants to see the whole manuscript.  Joy!  Number two, I found out I'm going to get flown out to Maine for a job interview at a university library out there.  Fantastic!  Number three, my wife's thesis study actually worked, so she'll be able to finish up soon.

Days don't get much better than this.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2007, 08:58:43 PM »
Woot! Spectacular, Parker. Good luck with the interview!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2007, 10:30:18 PM »
On Tuesday my husband, daughter, and I will be flying to San Juan, Puerto Rico, to spend a week in the tropical wilds of that glorious island, slurp drinks with little umbrellas, and bask in the sun on golden beaches.

Yay!
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
What?  You could be playing WoW instead you know that right?  No wonder Blizzard canceled your account, you're lack of devotion to their game is disturbing.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »
Are you kidding? LOL. PR is worth canceling the WoW account. You'd just have to experience it for yourself.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2007, 03:48:43 AM »
I got a new central A/C unit installed today. It is suppose to be in the uppoer 90s tomorrow, so I'm grateful to have it in and my pregnant wife won't be as cranky.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2007, 05:04:17 AM »
My boys went from 3+ boxes full of toys to less than one. Yay! Less to clean!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2007, 06:19:57 AM »
I think I'm finally coming for a visit to Provo/Salt Lake! It would be the second week of July--the week following the week when 4th of July is (for that I'll be with family in a cabin in Idaho). What, you want dates? Well, so do I, tough luck.  :P

Like my rumored visits before, this is liable to change. Part of it depends on if I can find friends to stay with, and if people are in town. Otherwise, I'll wait until August. So, we'll see.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2007, 01:55:12 AM »
I have a job!  We're going to be moving to Maine in August, where I'll be the Information Technology Librarian at a small public liberal arts college there.  It's a pretty sweet job, too--20 days vacation, 20 days sick time, 12 holidays . . . and snow days!  (I miss those.)  So if any of you ever feel like taking a jaunt way up Northeast--way up Northeast--then drop me a line.  Maybe I'll join Stephen King's writing group.  ;-)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2007, 03:07:38 PM »
In maine, I'm pretty sure *any* college is a small college. As for snow days, you know that you have to have some pretty intense snow to qualify.

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2007, 05:01:50 PM »
Exactly.  Isn't it great?