Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 146706 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #765 on: October 21, 2008, 02:26:53 AM »
Sigyn, you might find a microwave via freecycle.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 23, 2008, 03:57:25 PM »
So, yesterday morning, I drove into the Quincy Center T garage to park and then take the T (subway) into Boston. A huge sign announced that the price for parking is going up to $7 a day.  :o  AAAAAARRRRGH! It sucks. Guess who'll be taking the (unreliable) bus more often in the freezing cold, New England weather. :P
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #767 on: October 25, 2008, 10:17:29 AM »
I am sad that jobs relating to editing/writing/publishing mostly don't exist where Ari is stuck.  As such, my job search efforts have been frustrating.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 25, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »
So, yesterday morning, I drove into the Quincy Center T garage to park and then take the T (subway) into Boston. A huge sign announced that the price for parking is going up to $7 a day.  :o  AAAAAARRRRGH! It sucks. Guess who'll be taking the (unreliable) bus more often in the freezing cold, New England weather. :P
Some jobs subsidize transportation. Have you asked about that?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 26, 2008, 08:58:43 PM »
Interesting thought. But I'm pretty sure Pearson doesn't do that. They do have this "Emergency Ride Home" program in case the public transportation is down. Like if there is a fire on the red line subway or something. But, yeah, I doubt that Pearson helps out in that way. I could always call HR though. Doesn't hurt to ask! Thanks.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 27, 2008, 01:27:42 AM »
Often companies where it costs money to park in the building, and which cover the cost of that parking, will pay the transportation costs of the people who don't drive to work. It might even be state law in some states.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #771 on: October 27, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »
*sigh* In order to get a promotion, I have to apply for my own job and then hope no one beats me out....My job security just plummetted :P
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 27, 2008, 04:57:21 PM »
I drove past that garage yesterday and I noticed the same thing. At least its has been kinda warm the past couple of days. You might want to check the parking at North Quincy or maybe Walaston and see if they have jumped also. I know it might be a pain but I also know they have considerable parking lots. I am lucky because there is a bus stop at the end of my street that can take me to the red line in Quincy Center if I dont find any parking. Good luck.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 29, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »
To confusing and to long of a story to tell but, INSURANCE COMPANIES SUCK.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 30, 2008, 01:22:28 AM »
They definitely do Lost, but hopefully it will work out for you in the end.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 30, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH. Payday is tomorrow instead of the 31st! I normally get direct deposit on the 15th and 30th. Crap! I have like, um, $.75 in my checking account now. Stupid gas prices. Guess I can't get that cape to complete my Bunnicula costume for tonight's pre-Halloweeen party.  >:(
--Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 31, 2008, 02:54:56 AM »
The hate against supporters of proposition 8, and the contempt for entirely valid arguments, is extremely stressful. This election can't be over soon enough.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #777 on: October 31, 2008, 01:25:29 PM »
Michael Glatze (founder of Young Gay America) has talked about (in interviews) how, as a gay person, he felt like it was criminal to even look at stuff which would cause him to question the validity of his homosexuality.  Not sure if it's like that everywhere, but that was how he felt about being a gay in San Fran—a lot of people in the gay community really dislike him for doing what he's done.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 31, 2008, 05:05:22 PM »
Wow I had no idea they were attempting to pass such a law. Can you say un-just anyone? I mean really I come from Massachusetts where gay marriage is legal and they didnt take over everything. I personally think everyone deserves the same rights as everyone else. Whos to say that gays have any less rights than straights? I for one dont think they are any different than anyone else. To make that distinction would make the gay community seem as if they arent the same class of citizen as straight people. Can we as a nation that promotes freedom afford such a distinction. It goes against what this nation stands for. I dont understand the reasoning behind such a proposal. Is it to alienate a group of people? Because if this passes then they will have succeeded. Sorry about the blurb there, I was unaware of this.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 31, 2008, 06:26:15 PM »
Can of worms. I don't want to get into it. But homosexuality is wrong, and the government should not force everyone to treat it as if it is just the same as heterosexuality. If people want to do it in the privacy of their own homes, fine. But it's being taught in schools and courts say parents can't opt their children out, wedding photographers are losing lawsuits for declining to photograph gay weddings, doctors are losing lawsuits for declining to artificially inseminate lesbians (even after giving a referral to a doctor who is willing), marriage counselors are losing lawsuits for declining to counsel same-sex couples (come on, if you believe same-sex couples are sinning, your honest counsel would be "break up," and what same-sex couple would sue to force that person to counsel them rather than going to someone else who is willing to counsel them?) and a Methodist church was forced to allow a gay wedding in a pavilion it considered a religious building or lose tax-exempt status for a summer camp (they offered to allow the wedding on the non-religious boardwalk on the same property but that wasn't good enough).

Gay rights are not in the constitution. Religious rights are in the constitution. Yet now gay rights are trumping religious rights in the courts. That is one good reason for the citizens of California not to allow the government to legitimize same-sex marriage.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. The institution of marriage has been deteriorating in this country for a few decades and gay marriage is just another step along the way. Just look at Scandinavian countries where gay marriage has been legal for a few years: no belief that marriage means anything anymore. Huge divorce rates, more than 50% of children not born to married parents, etc. etc. That is not the direction I want to see the state I live in going, and that is the direction it will go if gay marriage is legal. (Of course, legally defining marriage as between a man and a woman is only the barest step toward restoring society's faith in marriage, and true change will have to come family-by-family as parents teach and show good examples to their own children.)

Let me make it clear that while I believe homosexuality is wrong, I have nothing against homosexuals. I have had gay friends and they are just people wanting to live their own lives. I think there are many rights gay couples should have such as hospital visitation rights and inheritance rights. But the definition of the word "marriage" in this country should not be changed to suit them. Gay people should not be allowed to be paid less or be denied the vote or anything like that, but the religious beliefs of people who are against homosexuality should be protected (as guaranteed by the constitution) when they deal with homosexuals in matters central to those religious beliefs. A restaurant owner who happens to be religious can't refuse to serve food to a gay couple, but a doctor or marriage counselor etc. should not be forced to provide marriage/family services to a gay couple if they consider marriage/family to be religious issues. (Yes, I am aware of those churches that support homosexuality. )
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:12:52 PM by Boooookla »