Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 155654 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #630 on: January 01, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »
If you enjoyed the first one, then you should enjoy the second. It's a lot of fun, though slightly less well written. (And it should appeal even more to senior citizens than the first movie did. Not that I think you are one. But my mom liked the first one, and I know she'll like the second one when she sees it.)

But anyway, if there's more to say about this, it should be done in a separate thread in the Movies section.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 03, 2008, 01:35:32 AM »
I'm going to have to disagree. The first movie was clever in that the plot was based on US history trivia. The second movie managed to take everything that was unique and clever about the first movie and turn it into a bad cliche. The characters inexplicably and suddenly changed for no particular reason, and the whole thing became more outrageous as the movie went along. But that's just my opinion.

There. I'm done being grumpy.

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 03, 2008, 05:21:08 PM »
My sister in law cut my bangs crooked. How do you manage that!? I mean all you have to do is follow the eyebrows... does this mean I have crooked eyebrows  ???

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 04, 2008, 05:26:15 PM »
Stupid Cold
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 04, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »
I have a cold and so do both of my little boys.  There is snot everywhere!  The only funny part is that my voice has dropped about two octaves.  I've gone from being a soprano to a tenor.  It's sounds hilarious.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 06, 2008, 06:29:39 PM »
Have to go back to work tomorrow after a week off.  Grrrrr....... >:(
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 06, 2008, 10:43:06 PM »
My husband is out of town for two weeks... leaving me home with three kids to tend. (ooh maybe I shouldn't say that online-- you might come and kill me in my sleep)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 08, 2008, 07:19:48 AM »
If I had more energy, I would rant about Wikipedia again. The Tite Kubo article has been full of false information ever since August 2005, and people keep adding it back. Now people even add references to back this information up—references pointing to websites that got their information from Wikipedia (or from each other) in the first place! Argh!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 09, 2008, 05:32:48 AM »
Volume 7 of Dazzle wasn't available at *any* of the local bookstores (I blame Ookla), and the Hatenkou Yuugi anime doesn't spend enough time establishing the quirkiness of the characters before getting into the story.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 09, 2008, 06:25:41 AM »
Well, the official street date wasn't until today...I didn't update my sig until someone said they got it in a store, though. Still, it hasn't been a huge seller, so I don't know how many copies any particular store will get. Anyone who complains about not finding it I've been recommending to order it in at a store so they know people like it...

I have only watched the opening and closing credits and the next ep preview of the anime, since it's not subtitled yet (GRUMPY BEAR?!@) and Karen doesn't want to sit through something with no subtitles. It's bizarre that the 2nd episode's story comes from volume FOUR (urgh) rather than explaining where the heck Baroqueheat came from... Yes, the first volume of the manga starts too slowly, but I'm not at all sure the anime creators made the right choice by starting off they way they did.

Azhev

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 11, 2008, 01:47:37 AM »
My library doesn't have Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians yet.   

>:( 

Stupid library.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #641 on: January 11, 2008, 03:53:56 PM »
nor will they. Because of the conspiracy

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 12, 2008, 04:21:29 AM »
My library doesn't have anything, they are very small and I often find the #3 book in a series but none of the others. This really bugs me. They don't even have Jumanji or Where the Sidewalk Ends...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #643 on: January 14, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »
That's like movies that play on TV. Never will you see the original Evil Dead. But Army of Darkness is all over.

Course, AoD is one of those rare sequels that beats the pants off it's predecessors.

Azhev

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 15, 2008, 02:43:41 PM »
Well I broke down and bought Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, and now I'm bummed because I finished the book and I want to read more.   :(