Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 146653 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #450 on: March 06, 2007, 11:53:10 PM »
42, that is truly alarming. @_@
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #451 on: March 07, 2007, 01:17:07 AM »
So my supervisor calls me at 3:00 in the afternoon and tells me she wants me to illustrate an enitre children's book by noon tomorrow, including having the complete book put together, formatted, printed and bound. This is on top of several other projects I have to have completed by noon tomorrow.

I talked her down to just a cover illustration and making one zeroxed version with a rough format, but after she asked me to skip class, stay-up all night and go into work early (which I'm not doing).

I really upset that my supervisor has the audacity to ask me to drop my whole life to fulfill one of her whims. And this is a whim, since the book will probably get used in a presentation that lasts less than five minutes and then thrown out never to be seen again.

Does she have any idea that most children's picturebooks take at least a year, if not TWO, to be illustrated?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 07, 2007, 03:16:54 PM »
Does she have any idea that most children's picturebooks take at least a year, if not TWO, to be illustrated?

No. She has no publishing experience, but the project is desperately needing a lot of professional-quality materials. She really is just clueless about how production of products gets done. In her mind everything just takes a second. She's one of those, always running late and "can't believe it took so long to do that" kind of workers.

Course, I'm ranting right now, because I'm completely behind on everything I need to do today, but I'm too angry about being in this situation to do anything about it.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 07, 2007, 07:05:19 PM »
blah. Why is your supervisor so darn flakey??

And why do my sinuses suddenly hate me? Sinus tabs do nothing. Antihistimines do nothing. I don't feel really rotten, but I do feel all stuffed up. It better not be a head cold! I have so many things to do this week.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #454 on: March 07, 2007, 07:21:24 PM »
Sinus flushing. Get a nose sucker thing, like they use for babies. Mix equal parts salt and baking soda. Take a pinch of the mix (about 1/4 teaspoon) and mix it in a small glass of warm water (about a cup and a half?). Suck up the mixture into the nasal aspirator/bulb syringe--that's what it's called!--and then shoot it up one nostril, holding the other closed like for blowing your nose. Don't breathe it in--just let it wash up. Do this in each nostril 2 times, letting it drain both times (you  might have to lean over for best effect).

Seriously, the ENT and allergist swear by this. It's been helping me, though mine are pretty serious so not fixing the problem completely. But if you have anything up there, it will help wash it out instead of letting infection fester.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 07, 2007, 07:27:53 PM »
Ah, a snot bulb and a home remedy. Excellent. Thanks for the tips (though I'm sorry this thread seems to have gotten sorta gross. heh. My apologies, folks.)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #456 on: March 07, 2007, 07:38:02 PM »
yeah, well, when you call something a "snot bulb" I think you're responsible for it.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #457 on: March 08, 2007, 06:16:57 PM »
Ah, a snot bulb and a home remedy. Excellent.

A couple of my husband's students (from Russia) brought him this homemade device to help with his cough.  Turns out it's a bong.
~금강산도 식후경~

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #458 on: March 23, 2007, 05:53:34 AM »
So I have no drive whatsoever to finish my education in college aside from the behest of my mother (so she won't kill me). Aside from that I find no real joy or opportunity in finishing. I see what others have/will become in what I want to achieve and have little desire to be that. I want to be revolutionary yet don't have the energy to do so. I want to do what I want, but have little faith in myself.

I hate that I do, but I drink to help me ease this pain and suffering I bury myself under. It's the only way I can stay above it all and not suffocate...
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #459 on: March 23, 2007, 01:45:48 PM »
My grandfather is dying.

What's worse is we *just* found out. They found a tumor in his guts the other day. They had surgery yesterday but couldn't get at it because it's embedded in his pelvis. They say it will soon spread to the kidneys, which pretty much means he's a goner.

What's worse is his dementia. He thinks everyone else is crazy and doesn't remember he even has this condition.

He's the only grandfather I knew growing up. My dad's father died when I was like, three. He always had lots of family stories to tell about his family. He was a unifying force and one of the biggest reasons why my mom's extended family is so tight.

I've never really dealt with a death in the family. I was either too young or the relative was too distant for me to feel much. So it's interesting that at 33, I'm actually starting to deal with grief. On the one hand, I feel like I've missed something, and I'm sad that I won't have the chance to talk with my grampa again. On the other hand, he's lived a long life. He's around 88 and lived well. Now that his mind and body are both going, maybe it's for the best that he's going. I think it will be very hard on gramma. Though at least she has one of her daughters living with her to keep her company.

Anyway, I'll be a bit moody today, is all.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 27, 2007, 04:05:49 AM »
Oh, SE, I am so sad to hear about your grandpa. It sounds like the situation is beyond rough. My grandpa is getting more and more senile, which is heartbreaking. I feel for you and your family. I wish you all the best.
--Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #461 on: March 27, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »
Thanks. The current prognosis is unknown. The doctors haven't told anybody an expected timeline. My aunt (a nurse who lives with her parents in their old age) thinks it will be soon. My gramma thinks it will be a longer time.

After a fast and a lot of prayers, I think I'm dealing with it ok now.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 27, 2007, 04:33:36 PM »
Yeah, it takes time. My grandmother died two years ago of pancreatic cancer and I still miss her. She lived next door and I saw her everyday when we were growing up.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #463 on: April 09, 2007, 02:18:53 PM »
Well, my mom called Saturday. Laughing nervously when someone told a joke, but I could hear sadness in her voice. Grandpa isn't eating or drinking. She encouraged me to buy a plane ticket and get out there. So, don't expect to see me on the forums between this wednesday and the next.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 09, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »
I wish your family comfort in this difficult time.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!