Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 146573 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #420 on: January 21, 2007, 02:51:15 AM »
I'm sick and tired of advertisements showing up under my car's windshield wipers, so today I called the number on one of them (a flyer for some community meeting about parking and safety issues) and complained to the woman who answered the phone there for like 10 minutes about her littering on my car. She said she'd gotten 20 calls from people saying thank you, and she claimed that it wasn't illegal to put stuff on my car. Well, I looked it up, and it is! Ha!

Los Angeles Municipal Code SEC. 28.01.  HANDBILLS – DISTRIBUTION.

(a)     No person shall distribute or cause or direct the distribution of any handbill to passengers on any streetcar or throw, place or attach any handbill to or upon any vehicle.

So I sent that to the e-mail address on the flyer and asked them to cease their illegal activity.

Grrrrrrrr!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 21, 2007, 03:24:37 AM »
Sorry to make you even more grumpy but I've handle a case were police fined someone for placing flyers on cars. The police cited an almost identical municipal ordinance. Anyways, the judge dismissed the case and declared the municipal ordinance as unconstitutional in violation of the freedom of speech clause in the 1st Amendment.

A flyer advertising for a community meeting is probably protected by the US constitution under the 1st Amendment, especially because it can be categorized as political speech (as opposed to commercial speech).  Therefore, the activity that you are complaining about is probably not illegal as Los Angeles Municipal Code Sec. 28.01 may not be enforceable in this case.

Hey, I think I saw a Bar exam question like this once too.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 21, 2007, 06:49:03 AM »
Actually section 28.04 of this code, which applies to public property rather than private property, already went to the Supreme Court and they ruled it constitutional.  The case dealt with political signs for someone running for city council.
2. Section 28.04 is not unconstitutional as applied to appellees' expressive activity.

(a) The general principle that the First Amendment forbids the government to regulate speech in ways that favor some viewpoints or ideas [p790] at the expense of others is not applicable here. Section 28.04's text is neutral -- indeed it is silent -- concerning any speaker's point of view, and the District Court's findings indicate that it has been applied to appellees and others in an evenhanded manner. It is within the City's constitutional power to attempt to improve its appearance, and this interest is basically unrelated to the suppression of ideas.

Though...I have no idea if it's been superseded by any other decisions afterward, as this was 1984.

And I do agree that it's better for me to complain about the commercial advertisements than this, but it was the proverbial straw.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:11:20 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #423 on: January 26, 2007, 01:47:54 AM »
I'm a bit peeved that someone still hasn't replied to some questions raised about a review someone wrote, but still has the time to answer questions posted elsewhere that I suppose are more pressing matters for them.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 05, 2007, 10:00:37 AM »
Sad, lonely, and insomnia-ic. (I know that's not a word. Don't bother me.)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 06, 2007, 06:56:12 PM »
is that like being a legomaniac?

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 06, 2007, 11:19:33 PM »
It can be. When you're a legomaniac, you play with tiny bricks and build things.

When you're an insomnia-ic, you're tempted to hit your head with big bricks to knock yourself out.

Pretty similar.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 07, 2007, 02:41:53 AM »
so its all about bricks.... hmmm...

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 07, 2007, 02:51:00 AM »
So. This morning I did a dumb thing. I stepped onto the bathroom scale. AAAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! How could I have gained that much!? The scale *must* have been sabotaged.

Curse you, Boston Bulge, curse you!

Sometimes I wish I'd never had to come out here and do another degree. In Utah with my old schedule it was so much easier to stay on a healthy diet and work out. But for the past year, life's been crazy, esp. with the added commuting time. *sigh* Still, I'm very disappointed in myself. But, hey, at least I'm more determined than ever to get back on track. I hope. :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:55:35 AM by Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 07, 2007, 04:20:45 AM »
So, this morning I did a dumb thing.  It was almost 60 degrees outside yesterday and above 60 today with it being well above freezing overnight, yet I managed to get my car stuck in the snow on my driveway this morning. The neighbors had to come dig and push my car out.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 07, 2007, 04:31:45 AM »
So, this morning I did a dumb thing. 
Heh. I guess that makes two of us.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 07, 2007, 01:36:33 PM »
No need to be grumpy if your doing something about it, right? And you are so don't worry.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 07, 2007, 06:41:41 PM »
heh. But that would be the *logical* thing to do. And I don't do logical most of the time, despite my wishes otherwise. ;)

I guess I'm just worried because I want to reach my goals before I go on my big trip this summer. Yep, my friend and I are planning a trip to London!  :D I vowed to visit the UK again before I turned 30. It'll be her first time, though. And I just don't want to be kept from doing what I want to do because I'm all slow and stuff. :P

Still, I know I have to be careful getting my body used to a different diet and regular exercise again, especially becuase I have CFS. But, hey, I lost 90 lbs two years ago, so the Boston Bulge should be no match for me. I hope.
--Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #433 on: February 10, 2007, 01:02:14 AM »
I'm not really grumpy, but I thought perhaps this might be the best place to let Maddrjeffe know that he doesn't seem to be signed in, even though the IM thing says that he's typing a message. So he might be grumpy to know that he is trying to talk to me and that I don't appear to be answering, but it's not my fault! Restart your IM or something!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 19, 2007, 12:18:28 AM »
My 2 year old son keep on hitting me and throwing toys at me during church.