Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 146005 times)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #360 on: November 20, 2006, 10:56:34 PM »
I imagine I'd have more sympathy for you guys if I had any idea what the Hum Pub was.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2006, 07:21:39 PM »
http://map.byu.edu/Map.html
or
http://map.byu.edu/campusmap.pdf
See the line of 4 or 5 tiny buildings (next to number 85) just south of the Marriott Center (#56)?  I think we're talking about the building on the east (right) side.  Is that right?

Last Thursday or Friday during lunch I went for a walk.  (I work in the Harmon building at BYU.)   I walked past the Marriott Center and was shocked to see that the buildings were gone.

I didn't spend much time inside but I've always liked the old buildings that make the campus feel a bit less like an "Institution."  And they pulled down the trees as well.  I used to enjoy walking around the buildings just for the trees.

They left stuff in the buildings before demolishing them.  I saw a painting in the debris.  Not a good one, but a painting.  Perhaps there's some Leading Edge stuff left behind?  Does anyone want me to take my shovel go over there and look for a story they might have lost?

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2006, 07:47:22 PM »
The building next to the HumPub was used as studio space for junior- and senior-level fine art majors. I never got original paintings for Leading Edge. Only photocopies. Although there were some original drawings from earlier days.

My arms are so sore today from playing with the Wii yesterday.

The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #363 on: November 21, 2006, 07:57:50 PM »
I walked past there a few weeks ago and several of the building's had been vandalized, windows had been broken in with rocks, graffiti everywhere, doors broken down, so it's not a surprise they're tearing them down.  They were all eye-sores on campus.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 21, 2006, 08:06:53 PM »
Talking about demolition . . .

Rumor has it that the demolition of DT will include explosions.   Here is the rumor that someone sent me:

"Contrary to what we have heard, the DT buildings are going to be blown up. The guy who is demolishing the Crossroads Plaza block south of Temple Square is using DT as practice before he blows up SLC. One of the construction workers at the site tells me it is planned for Dec 21 or 22nd."

Doesn't blowing up SLC seem a bit much?
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 22, 2006, 05:17:16 AM »
I had a four hour commute this morning (it was only three hours coming back, but there was more driving in between). In all, I drove over 500 miles today. I'm tired.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2006, 07:26:19 AM »
Two things I've learned in the last couple days: nerds are scary, and so am I. And apparently, they're not the same thing.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2006, 03:59:20 PM »
lol. Yeah, we nerds are all scary in some way. But ya lost me with what "they're" refers to. Nerds and scariness are different things?

* Happy Shrainsgiving looks suitably puzzled and curious
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 04:22:08 PM by Happy Shrainsgiving »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »
I and nerd are not the same thing. I just thought that part was funny.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »
ahh, yes. I see the jovial twist on that now.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 30, 2006, 02:01:25 AM »
So I'm making corrections to a paper I wrote after having gotten it back with suggestions from my instructor. Normally, I find getting feedback from my instructor to be helpful. Not this time. I am prone to believe that my instructor actually has a worse command of the English language than I do. Her comments consist of turning my complete sentences into fragments, nit-picking about word selection, making references to studies not included in the paper, correcting the names of researchers so that they are misspelled, and selecting a thesis statement for my paper that has nothing to do with my paper.

She really shouldn't have the class write papers if her reading comprehension is this poor.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 30, 2006, 04:07:28 AM »
That's what you get for enrolling in Surrealism 20kumquat.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #372 on: November 30, 2006, 02:16:51 PM »
I think you're referring to the Dada-ism bottle rocket running. The Surrealism 20kumquat is *next* semester.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #373 on: November 30, 2006, 05:33:31 PM »
I'm sure you all want to hear about the latest drama-crapfest that's going on at my work. So, wth, I'll spill the stupid freaking beans. I'll try to refrain from foul language as much as I can. (Also, I've been drinking because I'm so freaking upset, so there might be some typos where I'd be otherwise flawless....)

I only heard about this about 1 hour before I left work from Pat. My bosses haven't told me about this yet. Apparently we have to stop interacting so much or something.

Backstory: I work on the bulk side of things now. Unloading the truck consists of me taking all the big heavy things for me, as well as making pallets for the "light duty" side that deals with the smaller stuff. Softlines is unloaded on my side as well. I've become amazingly good friends with the person who usually unloads softlines during the truck unload.  So much so, that it seems as if we're more than friends to some people I guess. Yes, we flirt with each other a lot, and are very playful in sexually agreeing ways, but that's about it.

NOW: I finished my job, aside from leaving one full pallet of backstock and some garbage that my boss left back there. I left early by all standards; about 7:15. Normally I wouldn't get out until maybe 8 or 9. Now, I normally don't have a problem with this, however, the person who is back there with me, my "team lead" as he's called, was (and always does) dick around and just kind of waste my time. Ok, I knew that was going to nip me in the butt. I didn't know how bad. Now I do.

Apparently my "team lead" went to our higher ups complaining that the two of us (Pat and I) have been getting to close and she's been making me slack off at my job. This however, is complete BS. I feel as if I work 10x harder just to get my job done so that I might be able to speak with her for a minute, or even less than that at any time during work (aside from breaks).

Sure, I may be to blame at times for a small bit of these things, but otherwise, this is entirely and utterly crap on his part. I am fairly, and completely upset.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 30, 2006, 07:44:36 PM »
Ugh. My boys are being such stinkers today. Not only did my two-year-old smear hand lotion all over the carpet, but he also dumped an entire bag of tiny little black beads on the carpet. Those are a pain to pick up! Then my 3-year-old broke my daughter's favorite ornament, and (shudder) ...to spare you the details because it involved poop...had to take an extra bath today.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/