Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 146030 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #315 on: October 26, 2006, 11:55:48 AM »
I am grumpy because our modem is only working at half speed.  It stopped working all together so my husband got a new one.  When he went to install it, the new one wouldn't work either. Meanwhile, my two-year-old son got hold of the hold one, played with it, and left it on the floor where it was promptly run over by the computer chair. I'm certain the chair did this all on its own, since I would never be so silly as to accidentally run over a modem. My husband, for the heck of it, decided to put the old modem back in the computer, since the new one wasn't working anyway. Apparently getting run over by a computer chair isn't as hard on modems as one would expect because the old modem started working again but only at half speed. This makes it difficult to do all the things I want to on the computer, i.e, watch Homestar Runner. Sigh. We need a new modem, but now my husband is too busy with work to install a new one, and I'm too lazy to learn.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #316 on: October 26, 2006, 01:47:34 PM »
Last night my three year old was grumpy. Here's a report from my wife:

So, last night  Rachael would not eat her food for dinner.  

Then, as everyone finished dinner I realize she hadn’t even touched her vegetable or casserole.  I told her that we were having dessert in 1 hour and she could not leave the table before then unless her food was all gone and after 1 hour she had to get down from the table and would not have dessert

For one hour—one hour she cried and complained and often yelled.  Here is a partial list of her complaints:

(to get the real picture, she is in the kitchen by herself, she is crying the whole time, no one is responding to anything she is saying and Maire is “ba-ba-ba-babbling” in the family room the whole time).

I don’t like this food
I don’t like any of this food
I hate this food
I hate it, I hate it
I don’t want to be in the kitchen
I hate the kitchen
I wish we didn’t have a kitchen  (that was my favorite one-I had to keep from laughing)
I wish the kitchen was like a playroom
A play room with a hallway (like in the basement, where her sisters were playing)
I don’t like this house
Mom, I don’t like this house
I like our other house better.
This house is ugly
I want my blankie
Where is my blankie?
Mommy is it 7:00 yet?
Is it 7:00?
I don’t want this food
I’m not going to eat this food

Honestly we were all relieved when the hour was over.  She did not eat a single bite.  But the rest of us had ice cream.
Whew

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 26, 2006, 02:19:06 PM »
For the last few nights my work computer has been restarting. Don't know why. I assume the company is adding updates and the computer needs to be restarted, but night after night seems excessive. So I put in a ticket to our IT for them to tell me why my computer is restarting and to see if it's really necessary. I kind of like logging onto my computer and having everything already open. It's convenient. Plus I'm afraid I might lose information if it's restarted and I haven't saved something.  

Well, I worked on a document yesterday that I really need to give to my boss today (I bet you can see where this is going). It's about a 27 page document, and I was adding information here and there making various changes--quite a bit, actually. So being the brilliant person I am, I didn't save before I went home. I come in today and go to open the document realizing I have not saved a new version. I open the old version figuring that Word would come up with the Auto Recover window. Guess what--it didn't. All my work down the drain and I really can't remember everything I did so it will probably take me just as long as it originally to once again add the changes. I'm so FRUSTRATED!!!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:20:00 PM by Tink »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #318 on: October 26, 2006, 03:40:08 PM »
Look in the folder where the last copy was saved anyway. Normally, Word will save a document with the same name, replacing the first two letters with ~$ and mark it as a hidden file. It might get some of your work back.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #319 on: October 26, 2006, 03:53:17 PM »
Some version of Word have an autorestore feature for when things like this happen.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 26, 2006, 10:26:10 PM »
E, I have to say that "I wish we didn’t have a kitchen" made me laugh quite a bit.  I'm amazed you could control it.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 30, 2006, 01:05:11 AM »

I hate the kitchen
I wish we didn't have a kitchen  (that was my favorite one-I had to keep from laughing)

Sounds like my boys. I had them clean their room this afternoon. It took them 4 hours despite my having gone in and given them a good jump start. And the only reason it only took 4 hours was because I told them that if they didn't finish by bedtime I wasn't going to let them trick or treat or wear their costumes to school. (I'm so mean!)

My oldest son's complaints included:

I hate messes!
I wish there were no such thing as messes.
I hate this room!
I hate toys!
I wish we had a butler. (This one's my favorite. And I did laugh.)
(To his brothers) Why aren't you cleaning?

Ah. The joys of stubborn kids.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 01:05:59 AM by Old_One »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #322 on: October 30, 2006, 01:07:31 AM »
You guys are giving me the giggles tonight. Oldie, if you're still online, get on IM. I need friends to chat with!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #323 on: October 31, 2006, 04:16:37 AM »
Not much of a Grumpy Thread person but I'm really miffed about UVSC's class scheduling for next semester.  Seams with my Major they're starting to move the non-elective classes to evenings only (ie after 5pm) because "that's when people want to take them" yet keeping elective classes early in the moring.

So my schedule is:

M,W: 8am-11am.  1pm-3p
Tuesday: 7pm-10pm

yea.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:20:44 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 31, 2006, 08:27:45 AM »
"Twiggy 1" Trip: very, very good. Games, food, sightseeing.... Got to hold a cute baby and read to e's little girls. :D Even ran into a 2nd cousin at
church in e's ward. Weird but cool.

But right now, I'm sick. :P AAARGH!  E, I started feeling icky yesterday aftrenoon after we ate at Quiznos. (Oh, and no, it wasn't the food; of that I am sure! Quiznos rocks). Anyway,I figured it was nothing. That it would go away and leave me be. But noooooo. Of course not. I've got some kind of head cold flu thing with a sore throat.

So I had to crawl out of bed and email my boss. grrr. Since nobody was sick at Twiggy, I'm pretty sure I got it from my friend who's got copyediting with me,  now that I ponder my situation. She's been [feeling] rotten for a few days. Well,
whatever. That doesnt matter I guess.Anyway, I crawled
out of bed to email my boss (complete with an "Honest, I didn't party too hard. Heck, we don't even drink!" email). Now Im gonna go crawl back in my bed.

No IM today, e. I just hope that nobody at your house gets all sick. Maybe I wasn't contagious when I was over there since I wasn't sick yet?? *sigh* Okay, back to bed. dangit!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:56:11 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #325 on: October 31, 2006, 09:20:01 AM »
I accept no responsibility. I'm still trying to sleep.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #326 on: October 31, 2006, 11:58:55 AM »
Hur hur! I am the provider of the sickness! I had been sick since last week, and I was surprised that you hadn't noticed that I was sick, since I was coughing and snot was running out my nose at an alarming rate.

Anyways, I was quite upset that I had to wait an extra 3 hours just to get from Syracuse to Buffalo because they overbooked and the bus was full when I got there.

But good did come of it! There was a cute blonde who chatted with me while we waited. So, not all was lost.
NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.
                William S. Burroughs

Who needs girls when youve got comics?
                Grant Morrisons Flex Mentallo

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 31, 2006, 01:46:34 PM »
Traitor!! SE: release the ninja monkeys!

Well, I just hope you were kind enough to leave that cute blonde with a viral parting gift as well. :P "Friendly Ghoul," indeed. harumph.

Dude, you never *said* you were sick. Now that I think about it, I remember your excessive use of tissues though... I kinda thought it was an allergy thing. You didn't seem to cough all that much. *sigh*

So I have a few more days of feeling cruddy, I guess. I used up my last sick day today. I hope I feel good enough for work tomorrow. Then again, I don't wanna spread this around at work....  

/me picks up her glass daggers and heads to Gemm's house.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:47:17 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #328 on: October 31, 2006, 01:50:17 PM »
Who do you think gave Gemm the virus?

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 31, 2006, 01:55:08 PM »
Not the ninja monkeys!? :o

If so, they had better be quarantined right away. I only just awoke, and it's almost 1pm. :P Hmm. To shower or not to shower.... I don't even feel like eating anything. This blows.  >:(
--Spriggan