Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 146011 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #300 on: October 17, 2006, 08:52:25 AM »
"One child is *so* easy." - my wife. OF course, she also says this about two and three children, so I don't know if we should take her very seriously.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 18, 2006, 01:06:40 PM »
I'm sure one child *is* much easier than, say, three or four. :) But two hours of sleep in an entire night is definitely not enough, whether the cause is one child or more, I think.   :P

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 18, 2006, 09:58:54 PM »
But with one child, you can actually get two hours of sleep. Two hours of sleep is sometimes not possible with more than one child.

Anyways, a friend of mine told me the solution for a lack of sleep caused by children. Give up sleep. If you don't expect to sleep then it doesn't seem as bad and you are more prepared for the hallucinations!
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 18, 2006, 11:48:27 PM »
Sleep is optional, silly. Especially when you need it the most.

*Revels in the fact that her kids are all old enough to sleep well*

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #304 on: October 19, 2006, 02:46:02 AM »
This sucks. I had no idea bonus tickets were only allotted "so many" seats per plane and that I should have booked my Christmas trip, apparently, six months ago. I got my free ticket back in July, and apparently I should have booked it right then. I had no idea. I thought I was supposed to wait till it was closer (and I didn't even know in July what dates I'd even want to travel).

So now I have this free plane ticket and no money to pay for a plane ticket home at Christmas. I was so excited to be able to go home for Christmas--Christmas is big in my family, and I really wanted just to go to a place where there was real winter, to have all the fungi be DEAD. After living in a perpetual non-freezing/rainy/dreary winter one year, I just NEED it.

Any ideas for how to find a cheap (and I mean CHEAP) plane ticket to Chicago from Seattle? Travelocity's reporting the cheapest at $400 (which would involve 12 hours of travel each way, and that's just $400 I don't have. Unless I want to spend my freelance money on that, but I was thinking perhaps I should spend that on winter shoes, oil changes, a haircut, and all those other niceties I never have the money for normally. Plus, by the time I get paid for the article (first week of November), the prices will have shot up way past my capability.

Sigh.

I was so excited for this. I've never had a free ticket before. How am I supposed to know stuff like this??

And I just can't stand having another Christmas away from home. Especially not here.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:46:26 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 19, 2006, 11:17:19 AM »
Depends on the dates you could go. Southwest still has some of their cheaper $99/one way fares, but only on certain days (like Dec 16 and Jan 4). If you combined a $99 fare with one more expensive (like a $130 or $160), then it'd only be $229 or $259 plus tax. With taxes, a $99 flight with a $160 flight would be $298.70 total.

That's my only idea. It's hard to look without knowing the dates you want to fly. Hope it helps :).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:19:57 AM by Tink »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 19, 2006, 01:16:13 PM »
I was going to suggest Southwest as well, but that's all I've got. =\

Unless you want to visit my sister in Tacoma.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 19, 2006, 03:02:56 PM »
I already did the visit-a-friend for Christmas thing last year. It's okay one year every now and then (in college and grad school it was every other year), but two years in a row is just not fun.

However, on the bright side, I called Alaska again, and figured out a way to get home using the free ticket. I'll have to leave really, really early--the 13th--and come back on the evening of Christmas Day, but it's something, and it's free.

If I ever get a free ticket again, I've learned my lesson.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 19, 2006, 04:03:35 PM »
I am the Lost One's wife.I went looking at airlane tickets for you Stacer. The cheaps ticket is from Chicago(ORD) to Settle(SEA) on Orbitz on NWA at the price of $308 . Dates from 12/21 to 12/28. I tried other days the price was all the same. On Southwest the ticket is around $340.

Keep looking for tickets. The price of fuel and gas are all going down tickets should got cheaper here soon I hope.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:04:48 PM by The_Lost_One »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 19, 2006, 05:56:14 PM »
Only problem is, flying *out* of Seattle to Chicago is always more expensive. Thanks for looking. I'm taken care of, though--got my free ticket and was able to figure it out. Thanks!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 20, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »
Yay for Stacer. :) I'm excited about my trip too. TWG-East, The Gathering should be fun.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2006, 07:47:38 PM »
I am the Lost One's 4 year old son. I am mad because my mommy want let me play me games right now.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 23, 2006, 10:12:04 PM »
I'd be grumpy too if I were the Lost One's son.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #313 on: October 23, 2006, 10:16:06 PM »
I would believe he would be in bed now, what with being past his bedtime.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 24, 2006, 08:47:20 PM »
That's why he's grumpy, he needs sleep.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder