Author Topic: Dogs in the Vineyard  (Read 1325 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Dogs in the Vineyard
« on: December 20, 2004, 04:31:11 AM »
I just purchased Dogs in the Vineyard a 101 page narrativist style game set in Utah during the Wild West. The idea, a rather creative one as far as I see it is to have the players play armed Shepherds of the flock fighting Demons, and the territorial government and upholding justice. Loosly based on the Mormon Church I was interested in this game for many reasons, both historical, and mechanical. Anyhow Im just waiting for the link to download it and then I'll do a full review. Since it is so short I'll probably get it out before I do WOD or VTR which are also forthcoming. While Im sure the author gets a lot of early Mormon society wrong, I think that he also could get a lot of it right as it seems he used the Book of Morman, Pearl of Great price, and the D&C as sources. Anyone not interested in accuracy can just tailor the setting to their liking I suppose.

I will say that the Author does say that he included religion (and especially the Mormon religion) as a plot device and that he didnt want to offend anyone. Still its an intersting idea, one that the people here might decide to latch on to.

Dogs in the Vineyard is availible through Lumpley games
at  http://www.septemberquestion.org/lumpley/dogs.html

the game is availible in both softcover and PDF format.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Dogs in the Vineyard
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 11:08:41 AM »
That sounds pretty interesting, and I'm interested to see how theyhandle it. So many people shy away from religion and especially the religious aspect of history, so it's nice to see it treated directly.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 02:10:51 PM »
Plus its filled with Righteous gunslinging Mormons ;)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 04:57:19 AM »
So, I've been reading the game for a little tonight and I think its such a cool plot concept for an RPG. In Dogs your character is a member of a Militant Missionary group operating as the spiritual lawmen of the territory of Deseret. Their mission, to stop sin, demons, false doctrine, sorcery, priestcraft and evil. The game is obviously based on the Mormon church, but there are a few differences, embellishments and such. Nothing I have seen so far is disrespectful, or played up to bash the Mormon faith. In fact religion is treated very delicately in a game where you play the avenging angels of the lord.  The mechanics (which I wont go into right now) make it perfectly possible to resolve a situation solely based on communication instead of just filling the sinner full of lead. Combined with interesting back stories for the player characters and with whole towns getting their own character sheets you can feel like Porter Rockwell meets have gun will travel. The real question is do you have the stomach to root out sin, when the sin is a 12 year old boy who's killed his sisters philandering husband because she was disgraced by his mistress. Obviously this is the extreme, but it can certainly be really cool...

The game also confronts the fact that sin doesnt happen in a vaccum, and that the pride of one person can quickly cause a whole town to slide into the abyss of hell.

Your job as one of the Dogs is to save the body, while the local bishops job is to save the soul.

Sound like a challange? I thought so.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 05:09:25 AM by ElJeffe »