Author Topic: What to watch from Gurdians Of Order  (Read 1228 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
What to watch from Gurdians Of Order
« on: February 17, 2005, 06:17:36 AM »
So, theres a few games coming out in the next couple of months that  I think bear watching.

1. Tekumel the empire of the Petal Throne...

A world created by a college professor, based on an Eastern model (India specifically) and one of the oldest settings in gaming...  

2. Dreaming Cities- this was originally going to be Modern Myths from Key 20 but Jason Blair the writer and owner of Key 20 went to Human Head Games. Its Urban fantasy where goblins ride the subway and fairies like to rock, with three complete settings it looks like a blast.

3. Out now just for Jam is Ex Machina a tri stat cyberpunk game....

GOO has always made high quality games, and if you have the cash chances are their stuff will make you happy.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: What to watch from Gurdians Of Order
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 06:50:01 AM »
Heard of Ex Machina, sounds excellent. Tristat works for a certain type of cyberpunk, but is anathema for the other sort. That said, I think straight works better, and I havn't yet seen a good system for straight cyberpunk.

I better write one. 2020 is ok, and the damage levels are spot on, but the world design is stuck in the eighties. I want a system that can replicate post-cyberpunk as easily.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 09:00:07 AM »
My main gripe with 2020 is the setting is so silly at times. Companies using mass drivers on texas? Scotland went native?

And yes, the technology shows its age. I've got the D20 cyberpunk which has a more.... modern set of future tech. Like jetpack cyberwear, heh. And it's character classes are actually quite good - they have career path things that let you customise the class heavily.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 09:33:50 PM »
This is my problem; all the punk rpgs are obsessed with drugs and tech. They are COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT. Moreover, this is what killed cyberpunk.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 03:34:12 AM »
True. I commented this to the group once, that in gibsons work your lucky to get a pistol, whereas 2020 chars are walking engines of death. Bit like LoTR and D&D, roleplayers feel the need to maximise their potential body count and this ends up having a knock-on effect on the entire setting.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch