Author Topic: The Nerdery #17  (Read 1205 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
The Nerdery #17
« on: March 22, 2005, 12:00:42 PM »
Read it here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1015

Some interesting ideas here. What types of surprises have you used on your players (or, if you're a player, had used on you)?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: The Nerdery #17
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 12:54:33 PM »
Just a couple things: I think some of these concepts would mix well.

If anyone remembers, I used the "amnesia" concept to good effect with EUOL in AORP. One thing one has to be careful with is making sure the player and the GM agree as to how these things manifest. The Grey Knight was a psychic warrior, though he didn't know it, and it took a little back and forth for us to decide how EUOL was going to describe things happening in game. It worked out though.

I also believe in, during story-oriented games with over all concepts, telling the player where they can spend progression points/levels. I try to make sure they have options to choose from, but if the guy has been bashing heads during play, I don't think they should be gaining levels in wizard. If, however, they tried to sneak past the guards but had to fight some of them, I believe they should get to choose among classes like rogue, ninja, and fighter. (Perhaps barbarian, depending on how they go into battle). Always make sure they have options open, but in a story game like that, the things they do in-game help shape which directions they can progress -- if all they did was yell their heads off and cry at the ambassador, skilll advancement in things like diplomacy or debate aren't gonna happen. This is a limited form of "I gained levels in what?"

Pay particular attention to the cost Kije describes and the personality of your players. To some players, the listed loss is far too high for them. They won't go for it, or else will sulk if forced. Many players will be excited by the added entertainment though, so see if this sort of approach works for you.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: The Nerdery #17
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 04:59:17 PM »
One GM of mine always reserved a portion of XP for herself to toy with our characters as she pleased.

For the other characters, this worked in an "I gained a level in what" way.  For my character, this worked in an Amnesia way (but my character was unaware of the Amnesia.  It was trippy)

I thought, overally, it was very fulfilling to have this happen.  Loads of fun.  Even if it did screw with our character conceps a bit.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."