Author Topic: That Which We Must Not Speak Of  (Read 1318 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
That Which We Must Not Speak Of
« on: April 09, 2005, 11:58:33 PM »
Shhhhhh.

Keep your heads down and keep it to a whisper folks.  I wouldn't want KS's internet enforcers to overhear.

I love the Rifts setting.  Great concept.

I despise the Palladium system and all it stands for.  Tried it many times and I just can't stand it.

Most of you love Rifts.

Many of my friends love Rifts too (while tolerating the setting.)  I asked a friend of mine a couple weeks ago how he could possibly put up with Rifts' system.  He replied, "Oh, none of us can stand the system.  That's why we do very little combat. Rifts has made us better role-players because we all hate combat so much.  It all works out."

Anyway, so I'm pretty darn good at conversions of things to Savage Worlds.  With Necessary Evil out, my ability to do this has only grown.  Problem is, my Rifts books are miles away and I can't remember the details of some of the more setting specific OCC's, like Juicers.  And equipment lists and the like.  I'm hoping to remedy this, actually, by going to get said books in a few weeks.

Anyone interested in helping out?  I guarantee you it will be worth the effort.  I'm fairly confident I can accurately convert most things, I'll just need some playtesting if folks are interested.

This conversion could never be posted or exist anywhere but on our computers due to Palladium's strict conversion policy.  

Just some rambling thoughts.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: That Which We Must Not Speak Of
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 12:41:01 AM »
I'd gladly playtest, but sadly, I'm not around.

If you do anything internet-wise, though.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 12:44:26 AM »
Well they've ben sued before, by Lucasarts, thats why they have the the policy.  I've got the core book so I can help you via e-mail if you want, but I don't have many of the other books, RIFTS never was my thing.

Personaly I find it odd that your friends don't like Palladium's combat, but I happen to think its one of the pluses to the system and would rather use Palladium's combat over d20.  Thing I don't care as much for is their skill system.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 12:45:33 AM »
They cut their gaming teeth on Rifts, instead of D&D like most people, so I'm not even sure if they follow the rules too closely.

When did they get sued by Lucasarts?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 12:50:04 AM »
Years ago, when they first started a website, someone posted conversions of Jedi and other things and LA found out.  Think it was around 1999, though my memory on when it happened is a little fuzzy (I'm horrible with dates).  Not sure about the second instance wich deals with Marvel getting on them for conversions, I've heard people mention it but never any proof that it happened.

With Palladium you have to add rules since it dosen't cover all aspects of combat, unlike D20, that's why I like it you can just decided for yourself what the situation warrents and don't need to argue over a rule interpertation.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 12:54:20 AM »
I hadn't heard of that.  That's really surprising since by 1999 there were Star Wars conversions on the net for just about every system.

Plus, Palladium goes after people converting their system to another, not something to their system.  They send out C&D orders to sites who post such things.  They'd lose in court, but who's going to spend the money to take them there.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 01:03:14 AM »
If you ever go to the Palladium board you'd hear it, though you hang out at RPG.net who's members don't give a hoot about anything but Exalted and trashing KS and Palladium.

LA sued lots of people in the late 90s them, and marvel, are the most natorious litagators over IP on the net.  Most of the palladium letters are lies or miss understood, they allwayse send letters out asking politly for removal before anything else.  There have been some cases where the lawyers did come in but it's been very rare, but that's not what the hate mongers at RPG.net would have you beleave.

I don't know why this topic gets to me so much, but it really makes me mad when people try and destroy a system and people based off of internet rumors and disgruntled ex-free lancers.  If you don't like the system that's one thing, but there's no reason to be so petty.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 01:25:02 AM »
RPG.net isn't as bad as your impression of it.  Sure, there's a fair share of idiots, but that's every big forum.  

There isn't much love for Palladium, but serious questions about it will still have useful replies.

And yeah, Exalted is big over there, but so are a LOT of other games.  

Plus, I've heard reports of the C&D thing from many places.  Maybe it is blown out of proportion, but I can't seem to google any conversions either...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 01:44:37 AM »
It's probaly becasue I usealy only read palladium and exalted threads (I was thinking about running one for a while) threads over there that's why I don't care much for RPG.net.  Also the one time KS actualy posted over there about the Coffin incidednt just about everyone who badmouths him were then kissing his butt, fairly pathetic in my mind.

On a selfsih note they are a competior of TWG, even if they don't think so (since they've probaly never heard of us), thus I have no problem exagerateing things to make TWG look better.  :-[

On the topic of conversions, I personaly don't agree with Palladium's views of it but I don't hate them for it.  Part of the reason it's hard to find conversions for the systems is they do ask people to stop, though without useing lawyers or C&D letters, and there are enough internet roumors about them that people don't want to risk it.  I've also never really cared for converting systems to other systems since I tend to enjoy most RPG systems, none are perfect and they all have their own charm so I usealy feal a system/setting should be kept in it's entirety or you loose some of that charm.